Hawker Sea Fury FB.11 in Korea (Airfix 1:48)

Started by Martin Dytrych · 26 · 1 year ago
  • Profile Photo
    Martin Dytrych said 1 year, 2 months ago:

Actually, this is second Sea Fury on my workbench. I built another one from AMG in REAF colours couple years ago.
    Airfix is much better kit, however. It allows me to fold wings and the kit fitting is very nice. I was worried about panel lines quality, but they are very good.
    The only improvement is needed in cockpit - missing seat belts and headrest and in main gear bay. I did not expect nothing but simplified bay, therefore I am not dissapointed. I am quite happy all parts fit together perfectly and that is all I ask.
    On top of that, I designed and printed new spinner cone and engine ring as they have inaccurate shape.

All surfaces are rivetted, I also replaced pitot tube and gun barrels with brass tubes.

There is still some work needed in wheel bays - I have to clean some paint stains and do wash.
    I was also testing new weathering method of propeller - it was working, but I have to use lighter shade to get contrast.

9 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 1 year, 2 months ago:

Fantastic entry and great progress so far, my friend @naviatik!
    Love the printed spinners!

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 1 year, 2 months ago:

Great entry and fantastic progress, Martin @naviatik
    Your attention to detail is amazing.

• Profile Photo

I would like to add some more pictures from the build.

Legs are improved with wires, tyres pattern is rescribbed - when I rescrib I run over the lines with a bit wet brush soaked to Tamiya ExtraThin. This melts all leftover dust or imperfections in lines and wash is then much better applicable.

There is small upgrade of camera pod used on this Sea Fury.

According to research done at britmodeller. com there were either front camera and rear camera in the tank.

It is also visible on the picture of the aircraft.

I made two simplified cameras to catch this detail.

5 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    George R Blair Jr said 1 year, 2 months ago:

Looks great, Martin (@naviatik). All of your added detail really makes a big difference. You have really nailed the flat black cockpit. Is that a resin spinner/cowling front?

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 1 year, 2 months ago:

Wonderful attention to detail, my friend @naviatik!

• Profile Photo

Hi Georg (@gblair),
    Yes it is resin. Our club purchased resin printer in last year, so we are trying to use it. 🙂
    I have actually started working on big project, which is top secret. I do not even know if I finish it, it is quite complicated for me.

• Profile Photo
    George R Blair Jr said 1 year, 2 months ago:

The 3D resin pieces look really nice, Martin Dytrych (@naviatik). I got a 3D resin printer for Christmas and having a lot of fun with it. I am still trying to figure out some of the settings, but things are coming along.

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 1 year, 2 months ago:

Excellent building, Martin @naviatik
    The cockpit is beautifully detailed as well.

• Profile Photo
    tom jenkins said 1 year, 2 months ago:

Super detailing on your cockpit Martin!
    Can't wait to follow the rest of your build!

• Profile Photo
    Martin Dytrych said 1 year, 1 month ago:

I started applying colors.
    Propeller is airburshed with black, then irregular stains of grey. Then I sanded off the grey randomly and finally I used sponge with just small amount of Vallejo black and I made random touches and lines.
    Wheels are painted with Vallejo colors, only discs are MRP white aluminium.

Top surfaces of the fuselage and wing roots got layer of MRP white aluminium, then I applied hairspray. After proper drying, I started with MRP Extra Dark Sea Gray. Second layer is mix of Extra Dark Sea Grey and MiG-31 Light Grey (MRP-186). Final layer is mix of Basalt Grey and Extra Dark Sea Grey sprayed over the texture template to make sharper stains.

7 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 1 year, 1 month ago:

Great paint results, Martin @naviatik
    Shading looks really nice.

• Profile Photo
    Stephen W Towle said 1 year, 1 month ago:

Martin Dytrych (@naviatik) ,

I like your approach to painting with the variations in one color to better represent what a real aircraft looks like in a natural environment being out doors or on a ship after being exposed to the elements. Added plus, your painting what the Mk I eye ball sees verses what the camera sees or records. I had a opportunity to see back in the early 90's a unrestored Seafury project and the gear wells look like the color you painted your kit. Given the age of a/c they had faded but, your representation is of a/c in service. These fighters are about the size of P-47, there very muscular beasts and if you can catch one at a air show they worth the price of admission.

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 1 year, 1 month ago:

Great painting, my friend @naviatik!

• Profile Photo
    Martin Dytrych said 1 year, 1 month ago:

Thank you Stephen (@stephen-w-towle), that is good to know. I found some pictures of planes put to scrap.I used that as a reference what shade is still acceptable.
    From my experience I know all colors will get a bit darker after the wash and everything will get a bit less contrast. I hope I do no loose it much.