Hawker Tempest – Special Hobby 1/32

Started by Colin Gomez · 53 · 8 months ago
  • Profile Photo
    Colin Gomez said 1 year, 3 months ago:

I am adding a couple of shots of the underside to show both the intake parts that were so challenging and the inserts. These need a lot of tweaking a shimming to fit properly, as you can see.

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 1 year, 3 months ago:

What an adventure, my friend @coling! And what a great save! Good as new! Looking forward to your progress!

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 1 year, 3 months ago:

Looking great in the end, Colin @coling
    Fully understand the demotivation at that point, your perseverance paid off in the end.

• Profile Photo
    George R Blair Jr said 1 year, 3 months ago:

Great save, Colin (@coling). It looks like all the frustration, bad words, and improvisation have produced the results you were looking for. I would have been right on the edge of my patience by the time you finished.

• Profile Photo

Thanks, Spiros. This was one of the more successful emergency fixes of my modeling "career" (if you can call it that). I am glad I persevered since this is really a great kit with the Barracuda resin added. Too much work to abandon. The second kit will be more fun because I know all of the pitfalls now. I plan to do it in a maintenance condition with the flaps down. I love the way both the Tempest and Typhoon look with full flaps.

• Profile Photo

Thanks, John. If modeling has taught me anything, it's about perseverance and its rewards.

• Profile Photo

Thanks, George. I have definitely had come angry words after modeling mishaps in the recent past. Funny thing is that in this case I just felt sadness at what happened and got to work right away in silence to try to fix it. It helped to buy a replacement kit and Barracuda set while they were both still available. That way I had nothing to lose in trying to fix my first effort. All along I had low expectations for success, but stuff kept popping up to suggest a pathway to salvaging the build . For example, it was a couple of days before I noticed the extra screen on the unused parts tree. That was a turning point. Finding the safe non-toxic debonder was also crucial. I will use that stuff from now on for superglue spills on etch, resin and plastic. It turns the hardened glue to something like the consistency of paint and you can just brush it off sometimes (although I had to do some gentle scraping on the resin intake with toothpicks and shaped popsicle sticks).

• Profile Photo
    Colin Gomez said 1 year ago:

GRR. I spent an hour writing up a new segment for the Tempest build and it simply vanished, pics and all. Here are some pics of the latest progress. I can't be bothered re-writing everything.

12 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 1 year ago:

I can imagine your frustration, my friend @coling...
    A pity, since your progress reports are really superb, with so much effort put into them.
    Nevertheless, your progress is really great, those gear legs look awesome!
    Looking forward to your next steps!

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 1 year ago:

The frustration is fully understandable, Colin @coling
    Luckily the pictures do tell already a lot about your progress.
    Great work done.

• Profile Photo
    George R Blair Jr said 12 months ago:

Everything looks great, Colin (@coling). It will be time to paint soon. I can also share your frustration with losing your post. I lose my photos about half the time, and this is after I take each photo and adjust the photo size down to 1600. Mine won't load at all if I don't reduce their size. A couple of months ago I got frustrated at how long it took to actually do a post and add the photos, so I have been trying to keep everything much shorter with fewer photos.

• Profile Photo
    Colin Gomez said 12 months ago:

Thanks, Spiros, John and George. I appreciate the kind words. I had been in the habit of copying and pasting all the text of a post in MS Word, in case of sudden loss but I didn't do that last night. I will be smarter tonight and follow my usual safeguards. The above pics show that I finished painting the wheel wells and gear covers and painted the main undercarriage and wheel hubs with Vallejo Metal Color Semi Matte Aluminum. What I wanted to describe was a technique of painting the wheels by first hand painting the rubber immediately around the already-airbrushed hub then masking with silly putty and airbrushing the remainder of the tire. The hand painting is done with very thinned paint which flow nicely around the hub and makes a clean boundary. The technique works well because you don't have to mask the hub perfectly for airbrushing afterwards. Just squish on the silly putty in form of a ball a bit beyond the hub. The boundary between tire and metal hub will be already clearly defined under the putty. This pics show it works quite well, I think.

I also managed to fit the windscreen. This required quite a bit of filing at the attachment point ( a sunken ledge) so that it would fit tight and flush. I then had to fill some gaps with very fine stretched sprue.

I should also mention that it takes some work to fit the gun sight before attaching the windscreen. The resin version that came with the Hi-Tech kit I have wouldn't fit under the windscreen at all. It sat too high.

I found the original styrene one as a part "not needed" on the sprue and it fit perfectly. I think it looks just as good when painted properly. BTW, the sight fits oddly because it was mounted backwards as a field modification by Roland Beaumont. He also removed the glass so that it would project the sighting crosshairs directly on the windscreen, much like the HUD does on a jet fighter. Most Tempest sights were adjusted afterwards to follow the "Beaumont modification". I've added a pic from a sim to show how it worked.

Anyway, tonight I am adding pics of the masking, which took most of my day today along with some other prep before painting. I fitted the vinyl masks to the windscreen and sanded the seams I had filled the previous night. Since the camo on the Tempest extends under the sliding hood, I couldn't paint the model with the hood attached. I therefore created a box arrangement with paper tape and sponge to protect the cockpit while spraying the fuselage. This kind of thing is best figured out by doing it rather than planning it all first. A few pics show the steps.

I wanted a mask arrangement that wouldn't start to peel away when saturated with paint, as masks sometimes do. I think I got a good seal on the paper box so that it will be held tightly in place no matter what.

OK, not to be too long winded, I masked the wheel wells, and the intake at the front and back with paper and silly putty. This is quite a chore with the Tempest and Typhoon but now it is done.

I masked the complex red/green navigation light with peel-off white glue. I've been experimenting with Gunze and Tamiya paints to get the right look to the Ocean Grey/Dark Green/Medium Sea Grey camo. It is interesting how much work is needed to modify existing paints to get the authentic colors - as least according to the usual Internet Illuminati. I will be ready to paint over the next few days. Hope you can see it coming together now.

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 12 months ago:

Amazing progress so far, my friend @coling! Your masking approach is superb and I love the glass-less gunsight!

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 12 months ago:

Now this is some serious masking, Colin @coling
    This definitely will help in getting the paint on perfectly.

• Profile Photo
    George R Blair Jr said 12 months ago:

All of that masking looks painful, Colin (@coling). Interesting info about fitting the gunsight backwards on the real plane. Cool story.