Hawker Typhoon Mk Ib combo build, 1/48 Hasegawa

Started by John vd Biggelaar · 237 · 2 years ago
  • Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 2 years, 7 months ago:

@tcinla, thanks for this great compliment Tom, still I do see points of improvement.

@gblair, this plastic putty is very helpful, if diluted with water it becomes like milk and levels out nicely.

@davem, thanks David, great to have you onboard, hope my progress will help you.

@lis, it will be the scheme OOB, 175 squadron, dark green and ocean grey

@fiveten, thanks for these overwelming compliments, not sure if I agree on them 😉 . Hope that I can make those ejector marks disappear with the putty.

• Profile Photo

Plastic putty was sanded down and applied a second time.
    This time I thinned it more so it could level out nicely.
    After sanding again it looks like shown on the picture.
    Let's see how it turns out after applying primer.

This weekend no progress because we will be spending the weekend at the coast with the entire family.

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 2 years, 7 months ago:

Those ejector pin marks disappeared, my friend @johnb.
    Super job!

• Profile Photo
    George R Blair Jr said 2 years, 7 months ago:

Great job on the armor, John (@johnb). I think I need to try the plastic putty.

• Profile Photo
    Yann Bertholet said 2 years, 7 months ago:

Oh a Typhoon and I miss the progress, shame on me. I love this fighter. I take a seat for this one John @johnb. I did 2 years ago the bubble top which I completely ruined with the decaling. I decided to restore it but I never found the good decals. Conclusion I bought a new box from Hasegawa with 2 set of decal.

• Profile Photo
    Marcus Vinicius Teixeira Borges said 2 years, 7 months ago:

Good job John,following closely your progress!

• Profile Photo

@fiveten, @gblair, thanks my friends, till now I'm pretty happy with this plastic putty from Vallejo, you can thin it as much as you want and if not satisfied it is easy to remove.

@yann, thanks for the warning, I will take care with the decalls.

@mvtb, thanks, will do my best.

• Profile Photo

After spending a long weekend at the beach with our family, which was fantastic, it is back to the workbench again to get a start on the Typhoon.

Started with some dry fitting today and can confirm that the issue mentioned by Tom @tcinla is present, unfortunately. So need to solve this gap, will for sure try the method described by Tom.

Also applied the gauge decal and even without cleanup it looks already quite ok. Will apply some decal softener and make it a bit less shiney.

• Profile Photo

Nice instrument panel, my friend @johnb! Looking forward to see how you will treat that gap.

• Profile Photo
    George R Blair Jr said 2 years, 7 months ago:

Looks good, John (@johnb). Remember the really bad instrument panel decals that were in the older kits? Things have really improved since the old days.

• Profile Photo

@fiveten, @gblair, thanks gentlemen, IP decals have indeed made a huge improvement over the last years, so much details are visible now.

The IP is fitted now within the rest of the cockpit cage. The cockpit looks a bit spartan. To give it a bit more realistic looks I will add some homemade seatbelts.
    If you have thoughts about what else can be added, you're free to tell.

Enjoy the weekend,

• Profile Photo

Looking great, my friend @johnb!
    Though one can go super detailing the cockpit, I believe it will look very sufficient "as is" once installed.

• Profile Photo
    Erik Gjørup said 2 years, 7 months ago:

That office looks fine to me.

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 2 years, 6 months ago:

@fiveten, @airbum, thanks a lot, will add some homemade seatbelts to make it look a bit busier.

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 2 years, 6 months ago:

Finished the interior by adding homemade seatbelts, clearly not as great as PE ones, but did my best to make them look like seatbelts.

Now it is time to close the fuselage and see if I can get rid of that huge gap mentioned on the previous page.
    Also added the well known radiator to the fuselage.

Painted the main landing gear wheel wells and struts using Vallejo silver.

Feedback is always welcome