Hobby Boss 1/48 F-105D

Started by Tom Cleaver · 24 · 3 years ago
  • Profile Photo
    Tom Cleaver said 3 years, 5 months ago:

Ohhh! Noes! Mama get the smelling salts! TC is doing a modern jet! (Well, "modern" if a design that was first ordered 67 years ago and an airplane that left service 40 years ago is "modern" to you - it is to me)

The Hobby Boss F-105D. I'm always likely to do a model associated with the book I am writing, and having just completed "Downtown: The US Air Force in Southeast Asia 1960-75" I'm finally "up" for doing some Vietnam aircraft. (Watch for an early F-4C when the new Fundekals sheet comes out)

Interestingly, for an airplane that was thought not to be so good for air combat, it turns out the F-105 holds the record for "best air to air victory ratio" of any U.S. fighter since World War II. Three were shot down in air combat with the VPAF, for 27 credited air-to-air victories. 9:1 is even better than the F-86 (which never came close to the "10:1" 70 year old Air Force wartime propaganda that has fossilized into "fact-like material" would have you believe). Another case where "the common knowledge" doesn't quite hold up in the face of "the facts," like the P-40 and P-36/Hawk 75. This will be done as "Cherry Girl" from the 357th TFS, 355th TFW, which shot down a MiG-17 on June 3, 1967, using the Meteor/Cutting Edge decal sheet that's been sitting here for 18 years. Definitely "NSFW" artwork on the nose. ( 🙂 )

The HB F-105D is generally considered both more accurate and far more fiddly than the old Monogram kit. Having read Dan Lee's "map of the minefield" review over at Modeling Madness, I have done my usual trick of attaching all the fiddly "open stuff" closed before proceeding, so as to be able to work on the fit of things from inside and outside. This included the cover hatches for the refueling probe and the gun cover for the Vulcan gun on the fuselage, and the spoiler flaps on the upper wing. As you can see from the photos, doing that means everything is nice and smooth like it should be.

I also discovered that the cockpit interior doesn't match the fuselage interior! One could go spend as much on an Aires resin cockpit as on the original kit, but I decided to do the necessary surgery with Evergreen sheet, as you can see in the photo. I did take the opportunity yesterday to order a resin seat, which will vastly improve things.

I think that with care, the kit will go together well and there won't be any major hassles in assembly or fit, other than that business with the cockpit. We shall see.

3 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 3 years, 5 months ago:

That's a diversion from the "usual" road, Tom @tcinla!
    And, what a nice one!
    Reading your words, above, I found those operational facts really interesting.
    The Hobby Boss kit looks really promising, with the usual microglitches (read cockpit), but it seems all will be addressed with your preplannings and (my beloved sport) scratchbuildings!
    Looking forward to this.

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 3 years, 5 months ago:

For sure this bird will be in good hands, Tom.
    It's like "getting out of your comfort zone", building a jet this time.
    I'm really looking forward to this build.

• Profile Photo

Fuselage assembled. I took Dan Lee's advice and attached the rear fuselage halves to the forward halves before proceeding further. There's a nice indentation in both where the bulkheads were supposed to go so you could display it with the tail off. I ran Evergreen strip around each half in that area, to give the whole thing something to "grab" and the result was a nice fuselage overall I did not have to putty anywhere. I assembled the basic engine because you have to and stuck it inside without painting anything but the end. Everything else looks like it will fit fine, I test fitted the wings without problems.

1 attached image. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo

Fitting does indeed seems nice, Tom.
    Great progress.

• Profile Photo

Nice "trick" as to have a seamless and stepless fuselage, Tom.
    Looking forward to your progress.

• Profile Photo

Like I said, with the fuselage assembled, it's an easy process to put it all together. Ready now to mask the canopy and start painting.

The kit has a really strange ordnance load - 250-pound Mk. 82s. Went up on eBay and found the old Hasegawa 1/48 Weapons Set A that covers Vietnam-era ordnance, so will use that.

Overall, I don't really think this kit makes the old Monogram kit from 40 years ago all that obsolete. There's a lot of little details, like detailed gear doors, that Monogram got right, not to mention an accurate ordnance load. With care, the fit of that model as I recall is not that bad. Big problem is Revell modified the molds to make the limited-use T-stick version, so all you can do is look for used F-105D kits on eBay and such. At least the HB is available.

2 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo

Nice'n'slick

• Profile Photo

Great looking with those characteristic air intakes.

• Profile Photo
    Tom Cleaver said 3 years, 2 months ago:

Been awhile, but yesterday I got the model painted.

One interesting thing I have discovered: there is no F-105 in camouflage that looks exactly like any other. "Close" is it. These airplanes were all painted at depots, mostly in Thailand, in 1966-67, after first arriving in overall aluminum lacquer. While there was an official camouflage diagram, the guys wielding the sprayguns were as "accurate" as most of us when we're eyeballing a painting diagram and wielding the airbrush. "Close" is it, and that definitely varies as I looked through photos.

Git a bit of touch-up to do where there are some "holidays" in the paint, then on to decals.

2 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 3 years, 2 months ago:

At least that "close" gives you some freedom to apply the camouflage, Tom.
    Looks nice already.

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 3 years, 2 months ago:

Nice airbrush result, @tcinla!
    About the camo, the "accuracy" freehand rendition of the official camouflage diagram relies on the painter's mood: trust me, it happens elsewhere all the time!

• Profile Photo
    Morne Meyer said 3 years, 2 months ago:

Hi Tom. Your Thud is looking great! The F-105 is one of my favourite "Thunders" from Republic's Locomotive Works. Since it carried the brunt of the Rolling Thunder campaign it faced an ever growing ground to air threat and coupled to ridiculous rules of engagement, target lists micro managed from the Oval Office by LBJ and Macnamara only invited disaster with half of the F-105's built destroyed due to combat and other related causes. I am eagerly waiting for the final reveal.

• Profile Photo

Thanks for the confirmation, @fiveten. 🙂

• Profile Photo

@mornem - if you're looking for a good book on the Thud, Ed Rasimus' "When Thunder Rolled" is excellent. A very honest memoir, including lots of the "little things."