HobbyBoss FJ-4B Fury

Started by Carl Smoot · 46 · 2 weeks ago · Hobby Boss FJ Fury
  • Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 1 month, 3 weeks ago:

That cockpit looks really nice, Carl @clipper
    Lots of details. No apologies needed for the photos, to me they just look fine.

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 1 month, 2 weeks ago:

The cockpit looks superb, my friend @clipper! No problem with the pics.

• Profile Photo
    George R Blair Jr said 1 month, 2 weeks ago:

Cockpit looks great, Carl (@clipper), as do the photos. I wouldn't worry about comparing myself with what other modelers do. About 15 years ago I was still building for contests, and I got so worried about getting the fine details right that modeling wasn't fun anymore. So, I stopped doing contests, I stopped worrying about what others think about my models, I started building to please myself, and suddenly modeling was fun again. I wouldn't worry too much about what the rest of us think. Cheers.

• Profile Photo
    Carl Smoot said 1 month, 2 weeks ago:

Thanks, I really appreciate the kind comments John (@johnb), Spiros (@fiveten), and George (@gblair).

George, actually, I came to this same conclusion regarding building for myself several years ago and it has improved the fun factor. In fact, I would give this decision the credit for kicking my hobby into higher gear and setting me on the road to improving my modeling. What I was concerned about in my comment, and perhaps I didn't make that very clear was that I know that there are modelers who are not as far along who might misunderstand my desire to get better as something other than an honest desire to get better. You are correct in that I shouldn't worry about what others think of my work, and for the most part I have made this transition. But I truly do want to promote this hobby and that includes not alienating builders who have not had the benefit of years of experience yet.

Anyway, I am rambling, but for the record, I consider it a priority to introduce this hobby to others and to share what I can to help others experience the same pleasant experiences I have gotten from building.

As for building this Fury, I assembled the fuselage yesterday, taking pains to keep all the seams aligned as well as possible to minimize the need for fillers. I am setting the Fury aside temporarily while I shift gears back to the P-38 / F-4 Lightning build as I have the paint I need now.

• Profile Photo
    George R Blair Jr said 1 month, 2 weeks ago:

I agree completely, Carl (@clipper). My models are really low-hanging fruit compared to the other builders on iModeler, so new modelers have many other better examples to follow.

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 1 month, 2 weeks ago:

Absolutely true, Carl @clipper
    Having fun while building is what counts.

• Profile Photo
    Carl Smoot said 1 month ago:

Okay, so I am back on the Fury after a few days away from modeling to get some "Honey Dos" out of he way. The fuselage is now assembled and most of the seams have been cleaned up. I still need to do a bit of seam work at the tail cone and the arrestor hook panel on the bottom. Some of these parts are a bit off in size, so it's a challenge to get them to fit while minimizing the seam filling needed. But the extra time spent here really pays off when it comes to the task of seam filling. Combined with surgical applications of black CA glue, I am able to get any sanding done very quickly.

To avoid the tedium of having to repair a bunch of panel lines and rivet lines, I am taping off areas before I do any sanding. I am also repairing panel line scribing and rivet lines as I get each section of the seam work finished.

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 1 month ago:

Excellent progress, my friend @clipper! The intake looks awesome already!

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 1 month ago:

You are progressing perfectly on the Fury, Carl @clipper
    The air intake looks great.

• Profile Photo
    Carl Smoot said 2 weeks, 5 days ago:

It's been almost two weeks since I've posted anything, but I have a reason. I let my guard down from my normal habit of always paying attention what is going on around me and managed to miss a step while stepping down from a rather tall ladder. Everything went slow motion as I waited to hit the ground, buttocks first and felt my spine compressing. This happened over a week ago and it has made it very painful to sit for any extended period of time. It's gotten better and it looks like I avoided any broken bones or vertebrae problems, but it has been a very long week waiting to get to the point where I can build models again.

Since I anticipate it being some time before I am fully well, and because my model bench is too low anyway, and because I am finding that standing gives me the most relief, I've elected to make an addition to my workbench which allows me to stand and build models. Yes, I could have gotten a stand up desk, but those are expensive. This adapter seems to work so far, although there are a few things I will have to tweak (lighting, top access to the lacquer thinner brush cleaner can).

Because this riser stands on my desk in front of my tool chest, I needed some way to hold commonly (used a lot) items and tools. So it has some holes in the top for various chemical bottles and a small slanting tray underneath to hold tools I use the most from the tool chest. The only thing I need to get is a rubber floor mat to stand on.

As for the Fury, well it's been waiting for me to get back to it, so nothing has been changed since last time. But at least now, I can get back to building.

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 2 weeks, 4 days ago:

Get well soon, my friend @clipper. This addition looks nice!

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 2 weeks, 4 days ago:

Take care and get well soon, Carl @clipper
    Your modified bench does look really nice and practical this way.

• Profile Photo
    Carl Smoot said 2 weeks, 4 days ago:

Thanks John (@johnb) and Spiros (@fiveten). I am feeling better and on the mend.

Here is an update shot on the work on the Fury. The windscreen and gunsight have been installed and I am working on improving the wings (fit and surface detail). There is a gap on each side by the fuselage which is getting a styrene fill strip. This will be smoothed out after the glue dries more. The wings have not been attached yet as I have more surface detail work to do.

The kit does not have the spoilers on the upper flap surfaces so I've added these. I am in process of cleaning these up as well. From what I can tell looking at the wing fences in photos, the kit wing fences extend too far back on the wings, so I have shortened these in length.

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 2 weeks, 4 days ago:

Great progress, Carl @clipper

• Profile Photo
    Carl Smoot said 2 weeks, 3 days ago: