Me-262 Werk Number 111711………. Tamiya 1/48 kit #61087 in a Bare Metal Finish

Started by Louis Gardner · 9 · 5 years ago
  • Profile Photo
    Louis Gardner said 5 years, 1 month ago:

Call me crazy... but this is another kit that I have been dreaming about building in these markings for a VERY long time now.

It's one of "those" pictures that just screams "Build Me" ! 🙂

After doing a lot of picture hunting online over the years, I ran across a few more photos of this iconic plane.

A lot can be learned by studying these photos. I don't know if this one is "colorized" or not, but I think it might be an original end of the War color photo taken by a GI.

I even found a "sister" ship that was photographed in a Luftwaffe scrap yard at the end of the War. This one is Werk Number 111728 and has the last thre of the Werk Number "728" stenciled on the rear side of the fuselage ... I zoomed in on the number to confirm it.

I'll be using this kit, which builds up beautifully. The only downfall is the leading edge slats... Too bad they were not opened, which is how the plane would look when parked on the ground.

This one will also be getting covered in Bare Metal Foil, similar to how my recent Ki-61 "Tony" was done.

So please follow along with me and my madness... 🙂

Thanks !

• Profile Photo
    Craig Abrahamson said 5 years, 1 month ago:

Forgive my ignorance, but why is it called the "Howard Hughes" Me-262...?

• Profile Photo

I named this particular 262 this way, because Howard Huges actually planned on racing this exact same plane in the trophy races right after the end of the War... Somehow he was able to get this one in the US. He was not allowed to participate in the races, as I am sure he would have won... Should he have won the event, it would have been very embarrassing for the US Army, as this plane surpassed the performance of the latest type, the P-80.

To make things worse, this was a captured example that was used by the enemy. It shows just how far the Allies were behind the Germans as far as technology is concerned. This jet was way ahead of it's time.

• Profile Photo

I must correct my previous posting. This actual Me-262 Werk Number 111711 crashed in 1946 on the 20th of August after an inflight engine fire. The plane was flown for approximately 20 test flights after it arrived in the US.

This particular aircraft was flown into Frankfurt/ Rhein Main by a defecting civilian pilot named Fay on March 31st, 1945. It was subsequently taken back to the US marked as F2-117.

The very first picture I posted of "711" was taken over Ohio on December 1st, 1945.

Howard Hughes did end up with a Me-262 but it wasn't this plane I pictured above. The plane that Howard Hughes owned is currently undergoing restoration and should be completed very soon. They're using the original Jumo engines in it.

I'll go back and edit the article to reflect this information.

• Profile Photo
    Erik Gjørup said 5 years, 1 month ago:

You're crazy - there, now I've said it 🙂
    Anyway, looking forward to follow this one too, expecting the usual high standard from your work for inspiration. (by coincidence this one is in my stash too). Thanx for the background research!

• Profile Photo

This posting will confirm my insanity... 🙂

I just received a book in the mail from a good friend on building the "Emil" 109's... It was very inspiring to me, so I'll be posting up a build journal for one of these 109 E's, and possibly a 1/32 scale Revell P-51D-5 Mustang while I'm at it. The 109 will be posted in the Nose Art GB.

Here's a link to the 109 build in case you're interested.

https://imodeler.com/groups/nose-art-group-build-1917053956/forum/topic/tamiya-1-48-scale-bf-109-e-3-from-the-spanish-civil-war/

• Profile Photo
    Stephen W Towle said 5 years, 1 month ago:

I've heard Putty monster used to describe models ...usually in the negative sense. But, when the original aircraft was puttied up your left with a kit that if done properly will be a "Putty Monster" .

The Germans jet engines had such a short life span that I am not surprised that an engine fire shortened the U.S. example during testing. When your using steel for the fan blades TBO where measured in hours. Had the Germans been able to use Chromium with their metallurgy for fan blades a different story could have been told.

• Profile Photo

They used putty on these to cover the seams and rivets just like you stated Stephen... It's very visible in the original aircraft photos, especially since the top color was not applied. A lot of late war Luftwaffe planes were found like this. A picture or two showing an assembly line of Heinkel He-162's comes to mind...

It looks like a few may have been operational during the last days while only "partially painted". My understanding is that sub assemblies were bolted together to make a complete airframe. These sub assemblies may or may not have been painted.

On the He-162 the putty often showed under the paint as can be seen in these next two pictures...

Hmmmmm...I have a few of these kits.

• Profile Photo
    Erik Gjørup said 5 years ago:

Coming to think of it, the "putty" could be primer/etchprimer to stop the assembled parts corroding the minute they are done. When riveting the surface of both rivet and sheetmetal is exposed, and if left so will start corrode right away.
    When you get around to a Salamander, why not consider one of the planes that were based in Denmark at the end 🙂 just a thought