Hurricane Mk.IIC nostalgia build – SMER 1/72

Started by Dmitry Stropalov · 64 · 9 years ago · 1/72, Hurricane, smer
  • Profile Photo
    Dmitry Stropalov said 9 years, 2 months ago:

It was a long time ago when it was hard for us (me and my dad) to buy kits from Tamiya, Hasegawa etc., but it was possible to get one from SMER from Czech Republic (Czehoslovakia at that time). At that time it were a very quality products compared to Frog/Novo. SMER is till producing that kits - with new decals and even photoetched parts. Maybe, this products are outdated, but it's still fun to build and make an effort.

So, this Hurricane Mk.IIC seems to be an old Heller kit from 70s (Heller #269 - you can still find this number on the sprue), and starting from 80s it is produced by SMER. My box contains also photo etched parts - instrument panel and radiators.

Plastic are in a good condition but it has a raised panel lines, very poor interior, very simplified landing gears. So, it'll need some work (I'm not going to use aftermarket).

2 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo

I've started from scribing panel lines - on the bottom part of the wings, empennage (plastic has defects so I've used a putty) and port side of fuselage (I've also restored screws imitation). Also I've added missed panel lines (according to drawings). Rivets on the wings will be added later, after priming.

I've cut of rudder and tail wheel - I want to make rudder in a tilted position, and landing gear leg should be fixed because now it's too thick and have a form of square.

5 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Seamus Boughe said 9 years, 2 months ago:

Hey Dmitry, I am also working on a nostalgic Hurricane, the old Revell kit in 1/32 circa 1969. I also have done a lot of scribing and scratch building. So from one nostalgia builder to another, your work is looking real good so far, keep it up.

• Profile Photo
    Gregor d said 9 years, 2 months ago:

Cool! The moulds are very reminicent of the Airfix Hurri in the same scale. Look forward to your progress on this one. Picked any markings yet?

• Profile Photo

Hi Seamus, will try to do my best! It will be interesting for me to take a look on your work, but I didn't find any topic on iModeler with it. Did you post it here?

• Profile Photo

Gregor, I think it should be JX-E "Night Reaper" - this option is provided by manufacturer. But - if decal quality is good (I'll test it before painting). It's version with a upper camo and black bottom and ruder. I want to try some painting techniques to make black surfaces looks more realistic.

• Profile Photo

Yes, i've seen those markings before. Good luck with the black undersides. A difficult rask to do right especially in 1/72.

• Profile Photo

Starboard is ready, that's all for today.

1 attached image. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo

Dmitry I have posted my progress on the Revell Hurricane in the Battle of France/Battle of Britain Group Build in Groups.

• Profile Photo

Great work Dimitry. I wish you much enjoyment with this nice kit.

• Profile Photo

Done with wings. Guns will need work later.

1 attached image. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo

Just a suggestion for the guns. Some kind of brass tubing or the business end of an insulin syringe with some wire wrapped around it would make for some convincing cannons.

• Profile Photo

Yes, I have a set of brass tubes, but I can't find any drawings with dimensions of Hispano 20mm cannon barrels - what was the actual diameter? Plastic parts is about 1mm, but I think it's a little bit over-sized.

I've completely removed main wheel bay (it was completely wrong) and started to rebuild it from scratch. A lot of work ahead.

4 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo

What a coincidence, the wheel bay in my Hurricane was also wrong and I had to scratch build a new one. You are right, you have a lot of work ahead but not as much as if you were building a 1/32 Hurricane. Good luck all the same.

• Profile Photo

Looks good Dmitry. Good luck with the wheel bay.