IAR-80, Hobby Boss 1/48

Started by Jaime Carreon · 48 · 3 years ago
  • Profile Photo
    George R Blair Jr said 3 years, 8 months ago:

It is always exciting to get to the point in a build when you can add paint and then decals. This model is not one you usually see built, so I am excited to follow along with the build, Jaime (@jetmex). If the yellows don't match you can always say it was sun fade, or some other reason. :o) I have seen too many actual planes that have different areas with supposedly the same color that don't match. Color matching for a model can be very difficult. I took an art course called "Color Theory" before the pandemic that really helped my color matching. I would think there is a lot of stuff online on color theory that might be helpful.

• Profile Photo
    Jaime Carreon said 3 years, 8 months ago:

On hold for a bit, some family stuff going on and then had to contend with hurricane Laura, which fortunately did not hit us. It's always something. I'll get back to it and add some updates in a few days.

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 3 years, 8 months ago:

Nice progress, Jaime.
    Modelling is a great hobby, but family comes first.

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 3 years, 8 months ago:

I agree with our friend John @JohnB: family comes first!
    ...Hope my wife will read this, as for a compensation to her calling me sometimes from my modeling basement to help her with the children...(lol).
    Waiting for your great updates, whenever they come, Jaime @jetmex!

• Profile Photo
    Erik Gjørup said 3 years, 8 months ago:

Jaime (@jetmex), great stuff to get the yellow going. Looking forward to the next update in due time - take care!

• Profile Photo
    Jaime Carreon said 3 years, 7 months ago:

Finally got back to the IAR-80. After reviewing the color schemes, decided on the dark green / dark earth / duck egg blue scheme with the Balkan yellow theatre markings. My usual Model Master enamels on this one. The lower surface blue looked a little too light from the bottle, so I added a little RLM 65 using the TLAR method. Next step is to mask off and shoot the green, and then on to decals...

1 attached image. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 3 years, 7 months ago:

looks great, Jaime!

• Profile Photo
    George R Blair Jr said 3 years, 7 months ago:

This is an awesome airplane, Jaime (@jetmex). It looks unusual, I think, because the wings are so far ahead of the cockpit. It must have been fun to land with all of that nose blocking the pilot's view. Looking forward to the rest of the paint and decals. TLAR works great...use it all the time. :o)

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 3 years, 7 months ago:

Didn't know the abbreviation TLAR (thar looks about right). @jetmex
    For sure this is a great technique, as long as you are satisfied, is what counts.
    Paint job looks great.

• Profile Photo
    Jaime Carreon said 3 years, 6 months ago:

Hello everyone!

Contrary to popular belief, I didn't get abducted by aliens, but I did get hijacked from the IAR for a bit by a few other things that came up. I build RC models as well and did a few builds for one of my best friends. The first is a Beechcraft D17 Staggerwing with a 72 inch wingspan, powered by a 30cc gas engine. That one is in progress:

Next is an 86 inch AD-4 Skyraider in slightly post Korean War markings. Did the final setup work on that one today, will be running the 60cc engine for the first time this weekend:

And last but not least, I got invited to get up close and personal with a P-51 named "Glamorous Glen" based at the Houston Executive Airport. The owner also has a T-6 and a T-28...

Just got another big project, an 86 inch Zero for a paying customer. But I really do need to get back to the IAR, as it is half painted and waiting for me to finish it!

• Profile Photo
    Tom Cleaver said 3 years, 6 months ago:

Jaime -

The model is looking good. I'm glad to finally see one of these being built. So far as I can remember, the only "big" (if you think so) criticism it got was the wheel wells are too close together. I think that's one of those things 99% of most modelers can live with.

Radu also has decals, which I think are likely a very good investment, given what HB usually provides.

Interestingly, the IAR-80 more than held its own against P-38s. In May 1944, the 1st and 14th FGs were assigned to dive bomb the Ploesti airfields. They were caught at low level by a squadron of IARs (that they thought were Fw-190s) and it turned into "The P-38's Blackest Day" with several losses and quite a few limping back to Italy to land at Foggia.

I'm surprised the guy with the P-51D hasn't been sued for copyright infringement by Victoria Yeager - she copyrighted "Glamorous Glen III" which was Chuck's airplane (after being rebuffed for trying to copyright the P-51 on the grounds he was "the most famous P-51 pilot").

I'm going to follow this, since I like the IAR a lot.

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 3 years, 6 months ago:

Those are some great RCs, Jaime @jetmex!
    And I love the Glamorous Glen pic.

• Profile Photo
    Erik Gjørup said 3 years, 6 months ago:

Jaime (@jetmex), the weather is simply too good where you live. Hopefully the Aliens will grant you some indoor time soon 🙂

(The RC planes look great)

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 3 years, 6 months ago:

That's a great experience, being one with this Glamorous Glen.
    Great picture.
    Your RC planes do look great as well.

• Profile Photo
    Jaime Carreon said 3 years, 6 months ago:

After a month of the model sitting on the bench wrapped up in masking tape, I finally got around to finishing the paint! Despite a few glitches with the airbrush (it worked much better when I cleaned it), it went on well. Upper colors are RAF dark green and dark earth, the lower color is RAF duck egg blue with some RLM65 thrown in to make it a bit more blue. Masking it off was more work than I thought it would be, but I'm happy with the final result. I'll let it cure a day or two then decide what do do for decals. The kit ones look ok, but there are a couple of airplanes in Radu's book that I hope he also has the decals for.

Tom, I can imagine this airplane must have come as a bit of a shock to Allied pilots who ran into it. I have to wonder if they thought it might be an Fw-190?

The RC birds are a wonderful distraction. I'm glad I can do builds for friends and customers because I sure can't afford it! The big Mustang would be even better if I had gotten a ride. I'm working on that...

1 attached image. Click to enlarge.