ICM 1/48 Douglas B-26B Invader

Started by Tom Cleaver · 23 · 4 years ago
  • Profile Photo
    Tom Cleaver said 4 years, 6 months ago:

I was really excited when ICM announced they were doing a Korean War gun-nose B-26 Invader, and I only became more excited when the kit arrived and I pawed through it. With this, all I'm going to need is the Modelsvit F-82 coming next year to round out my Korean War collection.

Before proceeding, there's some information needed about the B-26 in the Korean War. Fortunately, my book "MiG Alley: The US Air Force in Korea 1950-53" will be released November 26, and I have the information needed as the result of my research for that.

The Fifth Air Force was in sorry state when the Korean War broke out - and it was the most combat-ready part of US Forces Far East! The five years between the end of World War II and the Korean War had seen the USAF become nearly a ghost of its former self. And what units and aircraft were left were stretched mighty thin. The reduction in funding for defense resulted in many aircraft being dumped, and many of those left placed in a "stand-by" status, while those that were used were used as little as possible due to funding shortages. On June 25, 1950, American air power in the Far East was a shadow of what it had been in 1945, yet the Far East Air Force was the military force in the region most able to immediately conduct operations. In numbers, FEAF appeared ready for any possibility. As of May 31, 1950, there were a total 1,172 aircraft: 504 F–80s, 47 F–51s, 42 F–82s, 73 B–26s, 27 B–29s, 179 transports, 48 reconnaissance aircraft, and 252 miscellaneous types. However, of these, only 657 aircraft were available for use in Korea, and not all were combat-ready.

In particular, the 1054 B-26s that were still officially in the USAF inventory were mostly in reserve units or in storage. The only B-26 group available to intervene in Korea was the 3rd Bombardment Group (8th, 13th and 90th Bombardment Squadrons), which was based at Johnson Air Base in Japan. The 3rd BG was equipped primarily with the the solid-nosed B-26B, but some transparent-nosed B-26Cs were also on strength. They were immediately thrown into action, initially flying reconnaissance sorties over the invading North Korean armies which were rapidly overrunning the South. With eight 0.50-inch machine guns in the nose and up to six 0.5-inch guns in the wings some of the B-26B bombers had 14 forward-firing guns. Their first mission was on June 28, 1950 when they attacked railroads supplying enemy forces. Their first attack against North Korea was on June 29, when they bombed the main airfield in Pyongyang.

The 73 B-26s had been with the 3rd Bombardment Group (Light) since World War II. Many of them still wore the olive drab camouflage that had been field-applied when they arrived in the SWPA in 1944. Maintenance had been minimal, and photos show they all looked like they had been "ridden hard and hung up wet." (A good source for inspiration is the 3rdattackgroup.org website, which has a lot of period photos you won't find in books). The good news here for modelers is, if you want to do one of these B-26s, you can have a lot of fun practicing your weathering skills, and you'll have to go pretty far to go too far.

The USAF Reserve 452nd Bomb Group (Light) was activated in California in late July and arrived in-theater in August. Their aircraft were mostly unpainted, and in much better physical shape. Over the course of the fall of 1950, the 452nd came to concentrate on daytime operations, while the 3rd concentrated on night ops as intruders.

I'm going to do BC-372 "N" of the 3rd BG(L), provided in the kit decals, since I have a good color photo of this plane in service in Korea. While the kit instructions appear to have the airplane in Olive Drab and Light Grey, in actuality these airplanes were painted OD on the upper surfaces, with the lower surfaces left in unpainted aluminum. By the fall of 1950, as the group began to specialize in night ops, many of the aircraft had their lower surfaces painted flat black; there are also large areas that had been repainted with fresh OD, which looks much darker than the faded OD on the upper surfaces, and can be mistaken if you don't look close for black. That's how I am going with my model, following the photo. The photo I am using is reproduced below.

For those who might have the Eduard P-51D, there's good news for your B-26: the rockets of the Eduard kit fit the mounting holes on the lower wing of the B-26 kit perfectly. I've got some of those, and so I will be arming mine with rockets and the kit-supplied napalm tanks.

That's enough for now. The next post has to do with preparatory detail painting.

1 attached image. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Stephen W Towle said 4 years, 6 months ago:

Some folks have commented that the bolted on armor around the cockpit and fuselage was not done properly. Not being a expert on the subject... I wonder is there any truth to notion.

• Profile Photo
    Darren Dickerson said 4 years, 6 months ago:

Had a look at this kit at club meet on Saturday and it looks excellent! Excellent details and sensible molding of parts likely to make for a stress free build (unless there is a devil in all those details!)
    Another one to the build pile...

• Profile Photo
    George R Blair Jr said 4 years, 6 months ago:

This new kit looks really interesting. I'm curious to see what it will look like when it is built up. I still have two of the old Monogram/Revell kits (one gun nose & one glass nose) that I want to build, so I want to see if it will be worth replacing them with the new ICM kit. Looking forward to the rest of the build.

• Profile Photo
    Darren Dickerson said 4 years, 6 months ago:

I saw on Hannants site that the next release is due for December - WW2 version 🙂
    Santa is going to need a bigger sack...

• Profile Photo
    Tom Cleaver said 4 years, 6 months ago:

So, for me, step one is to do as much detail painting as possible before taking anything off the sprues.

In this case, the main thing to do is all the interior parts painted in Interior Green. I generally mix my own - flat black and flat yellow, an individual mix, no two ever really completely alike, just like the real thing.

After applying and it dries (quickly, since I use acrylics), I glop on some Tamiya "Smoke," thinned 50-50. This "pops out" detail, and when it dries it approximates the oily dirt and grime one finds around an airplane. I finish off by giving it all a coat of clear flat. Also, detail on the "black boxes" is done using a white or silver PrismaColor pencil - a lot easier than dry-brushing with paint.

I also painted the engine cylinders with Tamiya "Metallic Grey," then popped out that detail with "Smoke." Once the engines are in the deep engine cowlings on this kit, most detail isn't going to be seen, so I concentrated on just what will be seen on the front end of the engines.

4 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Tom Cleaver said 4 years, 5 months ago:

Finished the cockpit. Looking at the three cockpit photos I have, I was impressed by all those levers in the cockpit for engine and prop control. I used some Evergreen rod and strip pieces to make some approximations and "busy up" the cockpit. Also Eduard seatbelts for the pilot's seat. I put the second seat in the folded position along the cockpit wall.

Got really busy afterwards with full assembly of the fuselage and the wings/engines as sub-assemblies.

The model comes together really nicely, not dificult at all, with great fit. More pix later.

2 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo

The model is now ready for painting.

The B-26B of the 3rd Attack Group is known to have been delivered originally in NMF from the factory, with the 3rd group getting 8-gun B-26Bs in June/July 1945. In the Pacific at the time, the B-26s were painted with a field-applied olive drab over the upper surfaces, with the lower surfaces left along. This was in expectation of their being used in low level ground attack during the planned invasion of Japan set for that fall. With the sudden end of the war, the 3rd group became part of the Occupation Force and remained in Japan after the war, equipped with their World War II-issue B-26s. By the time the Korean War broke out 5 years later, the OD upper surfaces were pretty well sun-faded and there had been later repaints but nothing like a complete re-do. Thus, most photos of the planes at the time of the outbreak of the Korean War show them pretty raggedy, paint-wise. The photo I am using for this certainly shows a lot of wear and tear with the original paint (applied over bare metal without primer) weathering and stripping away badly.

As I looked at the original photograph (posted as "pic 1" in this post) I wondered how ICM could have gotten their paint instructions so different. In the initial photo, the airplane appears to be painted black on the forward fuselage, including the underside at least as far back as the bomb bay doors, with the wing painted a dark color on the underside, yet the rear fuselage and underside of the horizontal stabilizer is still very obviously NMF. It's a paint scheme that doesn't make sense.

So I pulled the photo up in Photoshop and started playing with it. "Pic 2" has been color-corrected with "auto color." That black nose doesn't look so black now, but it could be faded.

I put the photo through color-correction ("Pic 3") correcting for green, and all of a sudden, the "black" nose starts to appear similar to the OD repaint on the engine cowling and the repainted rudder. But that lower wing still seems a dark color and the lower fuselage still seems painted a dark color back over the bomb bay doors, though the bomb-bay doors appear slightly lighter.

So I lightened the photo ("Pic 3") and suddenly the lower area comes out of the shadows, and the bomb bay doors and nose gear doors and main gear doors are not some dark color - they're NMF in shadow! And the lower wing area is lighter - NMF in shadow?

I then took the model, which is now sitting on its gear, and held a light overhead, approximating the sun in this photo (taken mid-day on a cloudy day where the light is diffused through the clouds). Yes! The lower fuselage of the model is in deeper shadow forward and under the wing.

So, I think ICM did their research. I'm going to go with OD over NMF, but I'm going to fade it, repaint is, and wear the daylights out of it.

4 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo

Here are photos of the assembled model, unpainted. Everything goes together nicely. I think my need to use some Mr. Surface 500 on some seams is more a MIP (Modeler-Induced Problem) than anything with the kit, since another friend who's building this kit posted his, and he didn't use filler anywhere. Whatever, it comes out looking good. I've got it sitting on its gear - stuffing the gear wells with tissue will take care of any problem while painting the model.

3 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Rick Wilkes said 4 years, 5 months ago:

MIP... so that’s what I’ve been suffering from for the past 57 years.
    If there’s a treatment it’s far to late for me..lol.
    Looks good Tom.

• Profile Photo
    Pedro L. Rocha said 4 years, 5 months ago:

This particular plane is a dream for the weathering experts out there , even the under wing drop tank, yellow overall at first glance, has some dar grey/green/OD (not sure which tbh) on its upper areas, and also lots of chipping exposing the bare aluminium. And this is just what I looked with some detail. As for your detective work around the possible colours of the AC Tom, I do believe you are likely correct in your assumptions. And I concur, the kit looks delightful to build

• Profile Photo
    Stephen W Towle said 4 years, 5 months ago:

Oh great, the Obsessive modeler here... the drop tanks if the a/c was held in long term storage could they have been coated with a preservative? I've seen this color sprayed on the interiors of aircraft being held. Or its very dirty Chromate Yellow. If you look at the yellow ID numbers and the contrasts in colors and the bleeding of skins through the surf...

• Profile Photo
    Rick Wilkes said 4 years, 5 months ago:

Hi Stephen, those “drop tanks” have actually been repurposed as napalm bombs. They were repainted yellow/yellow zinc chromate to indicate that. So even more reason to make them look all beat up.

• Profile Photo

Yeah, now we can name it! 🙂

• Profile Photo

Thanks for that pointer on the tanks, Rick. I wasn't sure myself. I'm using drop tanks from an old Monogram P-38.