ICM 1/72 Fw-189C/V-6

Started by George R Blair Jr · 7 · 5 hours ago · 1/72, Fw-189C/V-6, ICM
  • Profile Photo
    George R Blair Jr said 1 day ago:

I decided to build this model to fill a little of the downtime in my Dr.1 model. I don't usually build 1/72 models, but this one looked so cool that I couldn't resist. The Fw-189 was designed early in the war as a tactical reconnaissance and army cooperation aircraft. It was very successful and was produced in large numbers. As the war continued, the Germans saw a need for a tank-busting aircraft. A prototype tank-buster prototype was created from the Fw-189 by swapping the large cockpit pod for a small, armored cockpit. In the end, the Fw-189C proved inferior to the Henschel Hs-129.

I will be building this model at the same time I am working on my 1/28 Dr.1, so it will be a slow, but fun, build. Cheers.

6 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 23 hours, 54 minutes ago:

Excellent entry, my friend @gblair! The kit looks promising. Looking forward to your next steps!

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 22 hours, 19 minutes ago:

Great entry, George @gblair
    Looks like to be a great kit. Never saw the tank buster variant as a model before. Looking forward to it.

• Profile Photo
    George R Blair Jr said 13 hours, 46 minutes ago:

Thanks, Spiros (@fiveten) and John (@johnb). It looks really cool when I saw it. One of the online hobby shops had it on sale for almost 50% off, so I grabbed it. I have always avoided the original Fw-189 because I couldn't picture myself doing all of those windows, but this solved that problem.

2 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 9 hours, 8 minutes ago:

@gblair, I have always liked the looks of the original 189, the C version looks a bit like a Transformers robot. Must have been a very tight cockpit.

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 8 hours, 9 minutes ago:

I also chicken in tackling the classic Fw-189, my friend @gblair...

• Profile Photo
    George R Blair Jr said 5 hours, 31 minutes ago:

Hi John (@johnb) and Spiros (@fiveten): The cockpit is very tiny in 1/72, and it was a 2-place cockpit.