Kitty Hawk 1/48 FJ-3M

Started by Tom Cleaver · 20 · 2 years ago
  • Profile Photo
    Tom Cleaver said 2 years, 8 months ago:

The Caracal Decals showed up this week, so I went back to getting the kit ready.

The FJ-3, as a kit and as an actual airplane, is a serious can of worms.

Since I had done the FJ-2 with flaps down and wings folded, I decided I would do this FJ-3 with flaps up and wings down. That was the first deficient decision. Like many kits with "deployed stuff" options, the kit prefers to be built with the options deployed. I had to trim out the interior of the wing rib detail in order to raise the flaps, and they don't really fit nice and smooth. I did the same fuselage assembly with this as i did with the FJ-2 - assembling each side, left and right, into one part, then proceeding to put in the interior. That worked as advertised. The wing/fuselage assembly went OK. Overall, I think it looks better in photos taken from 3 feet away like I did than it does eyeballing it from 18 inches.

There was a fun discovery that they got confused putting holes in the lower wing to mount the Sidewinder rails, with the one on the right not in a "mirror" position to the one on the left, but I caught that and got it set right, drilled out two holes in the right place.

But what is real fun is the coming paint job. You can find photos of every airplane that is on the two Caracals sheets, and I was studying a black and white shot of the one I wanted to do, and got puzzled by the fact the gear legs appeared black.Huh? WTF? So I contacted Tommy Thomason, the go-to authority for post WW2 navair, and discovered that most likely it is this "tar-like" paint that the Navy applied to some airplanes in the mid-50s in a misguided attempt to reduce corrosion. Some of the airplanes also had the interior of the gear doors and the wheel well painted in this stuff. Some of them had some things like the well pained and the doors not painted with it, etc., etc. Then there is the question of the cockpit color - what is described as a "duck egg blue-green" the FJ-2 and 3 cockpits were done, though at some point FJ-3s began coming off he line with Dark Gull Grey cockpits and earlier airplanes got repainted when they went through overhaul, but some grey cockpits still had green seats and vice versa, and while one airplane in a squadron might be one way, others would be different. There is no way outside of a color photo of the actual airplane to decide any of this.

Fortunately I found a small color photo to do the airplane I want, so I had to repaint the cockpit from DGG to this funny green (which I did with 5 parts Tamiya XF-21 Sky to one part Tamiya X-14 Sky Blue) And I will do the wheel wells in black but I am going to raise the main doors to avoid further questions.

I also had to make some plastic small wing fences after the p-e fences popped off. I got good enough at doing two that I thought I would replace them all, but sanity prevailed.

My overall advice: build it with the wings folded and drop the flaps - which makes it really obviously not "just another Sabre" when you line it up with your F-86s.

7 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    George R Blair Jr said 2 years, 8 months ago:

I'm looking forward to the rest of this build, Tom (tcinla). I just got my set of Caracal decals for this plane, so I am interested to see which scheme you use. I once thought that the Navy FJs were just an F-86 with a new paint job. As you point out, not true at all.

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 2 years, 8 months ago:

A great build, my friend @tcinla!
    Your "folded wings/flaps down" advice is super!

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 2 years, 8 months ago:

Great start Tom @tcinla
    Looking forward to your building progress.

• Profile Photo
    Michael E Rieth said 2 years, 8 months ago:

Learned something new, never knew the U.S. Navy used an interior green that color.

• Profile Photo

@mrieth - Neither did anyone else till these kits came out. 🙂

• Profile Photo

Here is the model now assembled and ready for paint. Since there is more to the cockpit than what KH supplies, I decided i would close the canopy - it's very clear and you can see inside, but it doesn't matter about not so much detail. I also closed the main gear doors.

And of course, once everything was solidly in place and the glue had completely set up, I realized I didn't put the control stick in! Not gonna pry things open for that - I'm the only one who'll ever see it in person up close enough to know that.

2 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo

A "stickless" FJ-3? Or is the stick inside? No one can tell...
    Looking great so far, my friend @tcinla!

• Profile Photo

Might be a remote controlled one, Tom @tcinla
    Progressing is great and no one will notice the missing stick with a great looking exterior.

• Profile Photo

I am glad I'm not the only one who has those forehead slap moments, Tom (@tcinla). Looking forward to the paint and decals.

• Profile Photo

Painted.

Photos show the paint quite faded with dark areas along panel lines (just like a model!). Pr4shaded wth Tamiy X-18 Semi-gloss Black. Tamiy X-2 Gloss White with a tiny brushful of black to make it slightly "off-white", Mixture for Light Gull Grey.

Painting those gear legs and wells black gave me as much trouble fitting things in as the original did crews servicing them - can't see anything in there!

5 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo

Looks great painted, @tcinla!
    How did you manage painting into those wells...

• Profile Photo

@fiveten - I painted them when I preshaded.

• Profile Photo

Great paintwork Tom @tcinla
    The preshading has been done very accurate, each panel line is shown nicely.

• Profile Photo

Shading in the paint is well done, Tom (@tcinla). I had no idea the gear and wells were black. Doesn't seem like a good idea on operational planes.