Lockheed F-80 C Shooting Star

Started by Morne Meyer · 91 · 4 years ago
  • Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 4 years, 4 months ago:

That's a really "real" looking bay area, Morne. Excellent thought of and execution.
    This is such a super build!

• Profile Photo
    Morne Meyer said 4 years, 4 months ago:

Thanks Spiros. I appreciate the nice comment!

• Profile Photo

To replicate a nice weathered NMF for the F-80 C, I will use the following method as replicated on a scrap piece of Styrene sheet.

1) Spray a basecoat of Humbrol 85

2) Spray a thin coat of Tamiya Titanium silver. It must be thin enough to allow the basecoat to still be visible.

3) Spray a thin coat Humbrol Polished Aluminum Metalcoat.

4) Spray a coat of Future Floor Polish and allow it to dry for an hour.

5) Spray with water and sprinkle with coarse salt.

6) Allow for the salt to dry and absorb the moisture.

7) Spray Humbrol Matt Aluminium Metalcoat over the salt in two thin layers.

8) Spray a thin coat of Future and allow to dry thoroughly.

9) Use graphite powder to highlight panel edges. Brush light coat of weathering powder over panels to simulate different colour patina on various panels.

10) Spray a final gloss coat of Humbrol Klear.

6 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo

Amazing process, Morne. Will use your tutorial above as my checklist to try the same.
    All the best!

• Profile Photo

Thanks Spiros. It is SO easy and yield great results!

• Profile Photo
    Erik Gjørup said 4 years, 4 months ago:

Thanks for sharing this Morne! Very useful indeed.

• Profile Photo

Thanks Eric. Only a pleasure!

• Profile Photo

After spraying the fuselage Humbrol 85, I masked and sprayed different panels Tamiya Titanium silver, Humbrol Polished Aluminum and Tamiya Chrome. After allowing the paint to dry sufficiently, I coated the model with Future floor polish. The next few stages will be the application of salt followed by a few light coats of Humbrol Matt Aluminum.

2 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo

Hi Morne! Your various metal shades look magnificent, your project coming along really nice.
    All the best!

• Profile Photo

All the masking and waiting for paint to dry properly before masking again is a tedious process. I am happy with the finish thus far. Thanks for following the build and your nice comments.

• Profile Photo

Salt added over a moist surface. The salt will air dry and then receive a thin coat of Humbrol Matt Aluminum Metalcote.

• Profile Photo

What a process! Following with great interest, Morne! Waiting for the gorgeous result

• Profile Photo
    Erik Gjørup said 4 years, 4 months ago:

Salty star. . What a splendid paintjob so far. I'm standing in line with Spiros, waiting for the salt to dry 🙂

• Profile Photo

Thanks Spiros and Erik. After I remove the salt I will do a panelwash with dark brown water colour paint. I will also post shade some panels with graphite powder and pastel weathering powders. Then everything will be sealed with Humbrol Klear.

• Profile Photo

The salt has been removed with a brush and a soft cloth. The model then received a layer of brushed on Future Floor Polish. The Future will be allowed to dry before applying a panel wash and further weathering.