Lockheed F-80 C Shooting Star

Started by Morne Meyer · 91 · 4 years ago
  • Profile Photo
    Morne Meyer said 4 years, 3 months ago:

Thanks George, I appreciate the comment. The salt method is so easy and inexpensive. I have seen modelers spend lots of money on Photoetch templates to replicate a mottled effect. With salt you can replicate a much more authentic look.

• Profile Photo

Thanks Greg. Try the salt method. You won't be disappointed. My method is a bit time consuming but yields great results!

• Profile Photo
    Michel Verschuere said 4 years, 3 months ago:

This looks fabulous, Morne. There was one like that for many years on a scrap yard next to the main Ghent-Brussels highway. A plane freak myself, I was always looking for it when passing along that route! Great work!

• Profile Photo

Thanks Michel. I appreciate you following the build thread.

• Profile Photo

Today I finished applying all the decals. The Hobbyboss kit has nice thin decals but the words on the stencil decals are not that clear. I therefore substituted the Hobbyboss stencils with those from the Monogram F-80 decalsheet. The mission markings were custom made by MAV Decals. Still have to add some bits & pieces and do some extra weathering before she is finished.

3 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Tom Cleaver said 4 years, 3 months ago:

A very minor point for your research, Morne - the pilot of "the Huff" was Jim Thompson, not Tim.

You have done truly amazing work on this Morne. You have taken it several levels above "the next level." The end result is fantastic.

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 4 years, 3 months ago:

A fantastic almost finished F-80 Morne. Waiting to see her crossing the finish line.
    All the best!

• Profile Photo

Thanks Tom. I really appreciate the comment. Your 1/48 F-80 C inspired me to start this build !

• Profile Photo

Thanks Spiros. She is getting there slowly but surely.

• Profile Photo

My F-80 C Mono/Hobby hybrid is finally finished. It was a two month long "lockdown" build to commemorate the start of the Korean War 70 years ago. Thank you to everyone that followed this build and your kind comments and words of encouragement. This is what makes the Imodeler community the best on the Web. I will post the final photos on the 25 June 2020 to commemorate the start of the Korean War.

1 attached image. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 4 years, 3 months ago:

Congratulations for your finish, Morne @mornem! Having followed your build, I can state your F-80 will be difficult to match.

This was a beautiful ride you offered to "us" modellers in this fantastic site.

A big thank you for your patience and kind approach to post all of your progress, along with detailed and explained techniques (of course the salt method pops up!), a fantastic "toolbox" for me and I'm sure for many other fellows here.

Eagerly waiting for your headlines post.

All the best, my friend!

• Profile Photo

Thanks Spiros. The great thing about Imodeler is that it is a great place to meet fellow modelers and a great way to grow your talent as a modeler. I have learnt much over the years at Imodeler and the quality of models that I build has improved as a result.

• Profile Photo
    Louis Gardner said 4 years, 3 months ago:

Hello Morne, @mornem
    I have been watching this build from the sidelines. In hindsight I should have made more comments along the way... It is truly a work of art, and your attention to all the tiny details is commendable.

We will be starting our Korean War group build in 20 days... less than 3 weeks from now.

I would be honored to have you kick it off with your fantastic F-80. I am pleased to see that it was finished in time.

Your build is magnificent. Thank you.

• Profile Photo

Thanks Louis. We all practice this hobby for different reasons. However, for modelers it is always at the end of the day a labour of love. I got into this hobby due to my love for history. For me building a kit is like recreating a piece of history. It will definitely be an honor to start the group build. My next model will be a SAAF 2 Squadron F-51 Mustang. I will be aiming for 17 November 2020 to post the Mustang. The date that 2 Squadron started their Korean campaign back in 1950. Thank you for your kind comments!

• Profile Photo
    George R Blair Jr said 4 years, 3 months ago:

Your F-80 came out terrific. I can't wait to see your Mustang, which will be another natural metal plane, if I recall correctly. Which kit do you plan to use?