Lockheed F-80 C Shooting Star

Started by Morne Meyer · 91 · 3 years ago
  • Profile Photo
    Robert Royes said 4 years ago:

Your realism is remarkable!

• Profile Photo
    Morne Meyer said 4 years ago:

Thanks Robert! I appreciate the comment. Those little extra details always makes a difference!

• Profile Photo

The cockpit of the F-80 C in 1/48 is quite cramped and their is lots of details added to make the cockpit a realistic or at least a good representation of the real thing. I added wiring to both sides of the ejection seat and added the PE seat harness. The seat was painted Zinc Chromate green, Medium green, Matt yellow and the seat harness was painted Khaki green. Some scuff marks were added to the seat and the headrest using Matt aluminum and weathering powders. The Reflector gunsight received a small wheel from a wrist watch and wiring. Clear styrene simulate the glass reflector. The instrument panel has fine raised details. I painted the instrument panel Humbrol 85 Satin black and added the kit supplied instrumentation decals fixed in place with Tamiya decal setting solution. The side consoles of the cockpit received bits and pieces of a wrist watch, Evergreen styrene, PE T-shaped handles and a throttle lever. An oxygen hose was made from coiled copper wire and styrene rod.

10 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 4 years ago:

That's an excellent progress of a great start, Morne! Your attention to detail is outstanding; cannot wait to see your project proceeding. I loved - amnong others - the salt trick to replicate the different shades of aluminum. I might try to implement it someday.
    All the best!

• Profile Photo

Thanks Spiros. The salt method is very easy and yields great results. I have tried salt weathering on different paint schemes but never on Aluminum and I am very pleased with the results thus far. Thanks for the nice comment. It is appreciated!

• Profile Photo
    George R Blair Jr said 4 years ago:

Great work. I love the watch sprocket on the gunsight! The interior looks awesome. I got a chance to get a flight in a T-33 when I first joined the Air Force in the early 70s and you have captured the look of the interior very well. The extra work you have done on the fuel tanks is also great. I usually do the tanks as an afterthought, but after seeing yours I think I will start giving them a little extra work also.

• Profile Photo
    Marvin Reyes said 4 years ago:

Excellent work, Morne. I especially like the salt technique used on the NMF finish. I will be using your technique, for sure.

• Profile Photo

Thanks George. I appreciate the nice comment. The F-80 is one of my favourite Korean War aircraft so I want to do her justice.

• Profile Photo

Marvin thanks for the comment! The salt technique is so easy and the results look great. You must definitely experiment with it!

• Profile Photo

The next part of my build centered around the open gun bay details. I have opted to pose this area open as it adds more realism to the model. The Monogram F-80 gun bay was made to fit after careful cutting and sanding. The radio and electrical equipment received some coiled copper wire to represent the wire bundle that is visible in that part of the gun bay. The visible machine gun with perforated barrel was obtained from an Academy F-86 kit. The ammo cans also received some additional details from plasticard and handles made from copper wire were glued to the top of the ammo cans.

8 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Erik Gjørup said 4 years ago:

top class surgery! just keeps getting better.

• Profile Photo

Thanks Erik.

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 4 years ago:

Looks fantastic with those open panels, Morne. The realism of the model will be boosted.
    All the best!

• Profile Photo

Thanks Spiros!

• Profile Photo
    Louis Gardner said 4 years ago:

Hello Morne, @mornem
    This is an incredible build you have going here. I am very impressed with all the extra little details you have incorporated into this one. I am going to be starting another Group Build next month. It will be called "Korea, the Forgotten War", and it will last exactly to the day the same length that the conflict did, only it will be 70 years later. The GB will last a little over 3 years, and projects that are not completed will be allowed, as are new builds. I was doing this option to help us clear that shelf of doom that most of us seem to have.

If by some chance you still have some work left to do on this build, I would be honored to have it as part of the upcoming Korean War GB.

Thank you.