Macchi M.39 - 1926, Italia - 1/48 Resin "S.B.S. model"

Started by DAVIDE PONTICELLI · 12 · 1 week ago · . 1/48, M39, Macchi, raceplan, resin, S.B.S Model
  • Profile Photo
    DAVIDE PONTICELLI said 2 weeks ago:

Hi everyone,

I insert this new topic which concerns the M.39 "idrocorsa" which won the Schneider Trophy in 1926 and which you all surely know well...

I will try to constantly update the progress of the construction and I hope to do well because I have never made a completely resin model.

The difficulties I think I will encounter will be in the rendering of the surfaces. Only the engine cover part was made of metal. The rest was in wooden structure with plywood covering. The wing radiators were made of brass tubes.

The peculiarity was that the wings were asymmetrical with two half-wings of different lengths, a solution that facilitated the setting of the turns which were all left on the course.

I recently visited the Vigna di Valle Museum and I was able to see the only one still in existence which seems to be the one that won the Cup. However, it currently has different signs.

The cart on which it is installed is a little different from the one I will represent offered by the manufacturer. It was the one used then. The one in the museum has a reticular structure that connects the two "half-trolleys".

Anyway I hope to update the post soon... with my very little time to dedicate to this fantastic hobby.

10 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 2 weeks ago:

An awesome entry, my friend @dapo68! A very nice but seemingly challenging kit, easily tackled by your excellent skills. The final result will be nothing else than spectacular.
    Looking forward to it!

• Profile Photo

Let's hope my friend..@fiveten !
    I don't know what the outcome will be. But when I can work on it I definitely enjoy it 🙂 !

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 2 weeks ago:

Great entry of a beautiful aircraft, Davide @dapo68
    How wonderful that you were able to capture your own reference material.

• Profile Photo

Many thanks John @johnb !
    Let's hope we're up to par 😉

• Profile Photo
    George R Blair Jr said 1 week, 6 days ago:

What a great airplane to model, Davide (@dapo68). The pre-war Italian planes were especially sleek and always seemed to have a great paint scheme. I have seen this kit online, but I was always worried about building an all-resin kit. Looking forward to seeing you build it.

• Profile Photo
    DAVIDE PONTICELLI said 1 week, 6 days ago:

That's right George ( @gblair ) ! I too am afraid of dealing with an all-resin kit. I'll try and let's see what happens!
    As soon as I have some time I'll tackle it and update you!
    The plane is really beautiful...

• Profile Photo
    DAVIDE PONTICELLI said 1 week, 4 days ago:

This evening I was able to do a bit of construction...
    Mostly gluing and dry tests.
    I have to say that the resin is difficult.
    I assembled the two trolleys and they fit perfectly with the Macchi boots. The panel behind the instrument console has a damaged eyelet and I put some putty on it. Then I will remodel the right trapezoid.
    I was then only able to make one addition to the rear support of the seat and test the belts dry...
    See you next weekend when I can work on it some more...

9 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Tom Cleaver said 1 week, 4 days ago:

This looks really interesting. I'll definitely be following your progress.

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 1 week, 4 days ago:

I always find it amazing how people get around with resin, Davide @dapo68
    Absolutely not easy to work with but you are clearly doing a great job with it.

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 1 week, 4 days ago:

Excellent job so far, my friend @dapo68!

• Profile Photo
    DAVIDE PONTICELLI said 1 week, 4 days ago:

Thank you all for the encouragement... hope to have a satisfactory effect in the future 🙂