Messerschmitt Bf 109 Werke

Started by Erik Gjørup · 305 · 3 months ago · 1/48, 109, 109 werke, airbum, Bf109, Haldværk, halfworks, Messerschmitt, quarterscale
  • Profile Photo
    George R Blair Jr said 3 years, 8 months ago:

Sorry you had to go back to work. Don't your employers realize that it interferes with your modeling? :o) I am voting with Spiros: 3 different types.

• Profile Photo
    Erik Gjørup said 3 years, 8 months ago:

Spiros (@fiveten) and George (@gblair), will you are both right. Three types in all are icluded in the Eduard 109 boxes from the F and up, and I was on a roll one day, sharpening the edges and filling and sanding the sinkmarks. (Another place for future use of liquified styrene). This topic is resting a bit for now as I shall try to get some of the other builds pushed forward to free some space 🙂

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 3 years, 8 months ago:

This topic is resting a bit for now...

This is the story of my modeling life, my friend @airbum...
    Some already started models and those amazing GBs!
    So many ongoing projects...
    But it's fun!
    Plus, you reenergize your motivation at times where it might decline a bit (during the endless gluing/sanding/filling 1/32 Tornado sessions, par exemple!)

• Profile Photo
    Erik Gjørup said 3 years, 7 months ago:

Shiny!

I wanted to make a polished propeller for another build

And in order to do that I tried to “paint” a propeller with a 2mm Molotow Chrome Pen

It has to be done in one fast pass, as the Chrome will start to come out very fast, and that also means that the surface should not be messed with!

I did it on an unfinished surface, and a bit of dust and bubbles were visible. I then tried to polish with some tissue, but that just ruined the surface.

And so, it is a relative success as long as you do absolutely NOTHING after “painting” with the pen.

I will have to check if a larger pen is available – and perhaps try to decant some into the airbrush? That will be for another day.

next up in this “109 general” topic is whatever comes to mind, so you will have to stay tuned to find out

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 3 years, 7 months ago:

The prop does not look bad at all judjing from the pic, my friend @airbum.
    Regarding broader silver pens, "PILOT" company for sure provide such products, along with their "EXTRA FINE" silver pens.
    Seems a good idea!

• Profile Photo

Could be worse @fiveten, but could also be better 🙂

The Pilot pen is "just" silver, as far as I can see. I just did an online search, and Molotow does indeed make a refill, and writes it can be used for an airbrush too! I will have to get a bottle or two, but sadly the Danish seller does not have the re-fill available. I will try to decant some from a pen and airbrust it.

I'll be back. . . .

• Profile Photo

Hood!

Removing the glass in a hood

As this topic is not on any particular build, but work going on for unspecified 109's, this time around I will just share a few pictures of a hood!
    It is a hood for an Eduard 109, and the early ones of those had windowpanes that could be opened.

I start by chaindrilling, removing the majority of the window pane in question. Then I used my new surgical blades without the handle to make it cutting a bit lighter.

I will come back later and clean it up, maybe also removing other panes for some future project with a detailed cockpit that will need crystal clear glass to see the details inside, perhaps a photo-recon with the equipment installed in the cockpit, or one with the flaregun installed?

That was all for now. I have no idea what may come here next – you have to stay tuned!

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 3 years, 7 months ago:

You have to be brave to drill that canopy, even more so to remove the unneeded clear piece without damaging (even crazing) the remaining delicate part, my friend @airbum!
    I have to admit I love such jobs!

• Profile Photo
    George R Blair Jr said 3 years, 7 months ago:

You are a brave man to drill the canopy, Erik (@airbum). Clear plastic tends to be much more brittle than regular plastic, so be careful when you start trimming. I talked to the folks at my local hobby store about using Molotow silver on props, and they said that it sprays great through an airbrush. He said that you get the refill, which is relatively expensive, thin the liquid down a little, and it will spray just like you were silver plating. He didn't say what to thin it with, but I assume the info would be on the refill bottle. Good luck, buddy!

• Profile Photo

Thanks my friends. I have done a few of these by now, and really just wanted to make one (perhaps a few) for future builds. That is the great thing about building a lot of the same kit - you get to have spares 🙂
    George, the info on the Molotow sprayability suits me fine, I have put a re-fill on backorder, and will have a look at what to thin with. I most likely will come back on that one.

• Profile Photo
    Erik Gjørup said 3 years, 6 months ago:

It’s Electrifying. . . .Liquifying that is

With the use of Liquified Styrene gaining on me here is a short update on that

Some great friends here on iModeler have been using Liquified Styrene (or LqS for short) for some time, and I decided to give it a go too.

I wanted to make a brew that was a different color than the one my kits usually are in order to be able to see it after adjustments. First you take a small container – a pesto glass was perfect for my use. I had made a batch, but find it is a bit on the thin side, so more sprue was added

It looks like a mess, but not to worry

It will all be nice and liquid in a few hours or so.

If you are dissatisfied with the thickness, just add more sprue or glue.

The basic ingredients are – in my brew – Humbrol Liquid poly (long out of production – Tamiya Thin will do as well I think) and remains from a build kit. I used the sand-colored trees from a Tamiys Spitfire. I had thought of using either White or Yellow sprue, but ended with this as it would be too stark a contrast with the other two. Should I ever need to use it on a white plane it can easily be brewed up in any color you have lying around.

Now, we are all aware of the dangers of this and that, but do take care with homemade stuff

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 3 years, 6 months ago:

Thumbs up for your presentation, my friend @airbum!
    Your thin liquid glue works perfect as a diluent.

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 3 years, 6 months ago:

Thanks for the explanation, Erik.

• Profile Photo
    Erik Gjørup said 3 years, 6 months ago:

Now, what happened to my Motorkanone?

In another topic I simply stated that one mark had the enginegun deleted.

My initial claim; The hatches for the wing-mounted MG were also a feature of the C, as they had the enginemounted MG deleted, . . .

Resulted in this comment; Just for the record, there was never an “engine mounted” weapon of any type in the 109A-D series. In fact, there was no engine mounted weapon until the Friedrich. Anything you read where the author says there was such armament is proof you are reading the work of a NON-expert (likely someone whose “research” is limited to cut-and-paste of 40 year old material).

It is my belief that the Bf 109 V4, Wnr 878, D-IALY (by some said to be the prototype for the B-series, had three MG 17’s, two above the engine and one that shot through the spinner. (Flugzeug Classic Extra magazine, Messerschmitt Bf 109, Teil 1 (side 12-14) and in the book; Messerschmitt Bf 109, Vom prototyp bis zur Bf 109 K af Markus Wunderlich, Geramond 2017 ISBN 978-3-86245-263-7, side 11)

Further in the book mentioned above on page 16; . . .regarding the transition from B to C: "Das hinter dem Motorblock montierte MG 17 erwies sich als äusserst anfällig für Ladegehemmungen beziehungsweise niegtebei Überhitzunge zu Selbstzündern. Bei der C-serie wurde daher auf den einbau dieser waffe verzichtet. Damit stand die Bewaffnung mit insgesamt vier MG fest." In short, the engine-mounted gun had proven to be unreliable and prone to overheating resulting in the gun firing spontaneously. Not a thing you want!

Die Messerschmitt Me 109 in der Schweizer Flugwaffe
    In the book “Die Messerschmitt Me 109 in der Schweizer Flugwaffe” by Georg Hoch (own publishing, ISBN 3 905404 35 4, 2nd edition 2004 (has also been translated to englished and published in the states) it is claimed on page 39; Chapter 7; “Die Schusswaffen der Me 109 D und E. Unklare Vorstellungen über die Bewaffnung. Bei der Beschaffung der ersten Serie Me 109 hatte man offenbar keine endgültigen Vorstellungen über die Bewaffnung der Flugzeuge. Für beide Typen waren entweder zwei MG über dem Motor und zwei trägflachen MG oder eine Motorkanone und zwei Trägflachen-MG vorgesehen.” – that is, the Swiss were either speculating on two over the engine and two in the wings, or one in the engine and two in the wings! Of course this last thing did not happen. Further the chapter continues later on: “Über den einbau einer Motorkanone war man sich im Unklaren, ob tas technish überhaupt machbar sei. Theoretisch war ein Einbaubeim Jumo 210 wie auch beim DB 601 möglich.” Meaning the theory was OK, practicalities another matter. They go on in the same chapter: “1936 ist in die mit einem Jumo 210C ausgerüstete Me 109 V3/D-IOQY versuchsweise ein 30mm MG C/30L (einige quellen sprechen von einem MG FF) eingebaut worden. Starke Vibrationen die nicht behoben worden konnten, verhinderten jedoch einen serienmässigen Einbau dieser Waffe.” . . . ”Es sind dem Author keine belegbaren hinweise bekannt, ob jemals Me 109 Jumo oder E, ausser zu Versuchszwecken, mit Motorkaninen ausgerüstet wurden.” So the conclution in this book is that the Swiss had intended to include a engine-mountet gun, but found it too difficult. The Swiss used Bf 109D and Bf 109E (in Swiss use they were mostly called 109 Jumo and Me 109 DB)

So, what we have here is; no operational use in 109D and 109E. However in the same book the C is noted as having 3 MG 17’s, all other marks either 2 or 4, suggesting that the C in this authors opinion had the engine-mounted gun. Lets check another and more recent book

German Eagles in Spanish skies

In this book by David Johnston (ISBN 978-0-7643-56-6, published 2018) it is said in the introduction; “Deliveries of the Bf 109 B to the Legion Condor began in mid-July 1937. Photographs and anecdotal evidence indicate that they were armed with three MG 17 machine guns.” (page 7)

On page 28 in this book there is a picture of 6 O 3, and in the caption it is said; “This aircraft was fitted with an engine-mounted 20 mm MG C30 cannon, It was the only A-series aircraft with a centrally-mounted gun flown by the Legion Condor.”

Now, the MG C30 had its teething trouble, and on page 116 it says “Plans to mount the MG C/30 L cannon as an engine-mounted weapon were delayedbecause of ongoing difficulties with the weapon.” Later on the different series is discussed, and on page 120 it is said that "As delivered to the Legion Condor, the Bf 109 A differed from the subsequent B variants in a number of respects: ... Armament: Two MG 17 machine guns were mounted above the engine with mechanical cocking. There is no evidence to suggest the presence of a third engine-mounted machine gun; however, one aircraft, 6 O 3, was fitted with an engine-mounted MG C 30 cannon for a time"

Continuing the discussion on page 135; "Also the wooden propeller fitted to the Bf 109 B differed from that of the A variant; its spinner matched the diameter of the forward fuselage, and there was a firing tube through the axis of the propeller for the engine-mounted MG 17." I take note that it is not ‘. . a tube for a . .’, but ‘. . a tube for the . .’ and further down on the same page “The armament of the Bf 109 B consisted of three MG 17s, two above the engine and one mounted between the engine cylinder banks. It has been claimed that the engine-mounted weapon proved to be troublesome and was removed, but personal accounts and photographs reveal that all three weapons were retained for a time.”

Now to justify all this trouble it has to be said – and here I quote the above book again; “. . regarding the 109 D, Green wrote: . . . these were followed by the Bf 109 D-1, wich carried an armament of one engine-mounted MG-FF cannon and two MG 17 machine guns. . . ” However this quote is meant to explain that in the authors opinion regarding the armament with four machine guns, these had to be D, not C models indicating that he has no doubt from the evidence available to him, the B had three guns (Green being the author of a book from 1960; War Planes of the second World War: Fighters; Volume 1)

And with that I rest my case – I will most definitely make an early 109 with a engine-mounted gun, perhaps two, one being the 109A 6 O 3, the other a 109 B.

• Profile Photo
    James B Robinson said 3 years, 6 months ago:

"Genius does what it must, talent does what it can." Robert Bulwer-Lytton, statesman and poet, born November 8, 1831.

One of my favorite quotes.

I do what I am paid to do!

On my own time, I do what makes me happy. Build what you want, what you feel is appropriate. There are some on this site that "Think" they are experts on certain subjects, but alas are not correct.

Do what you want!