Messerschmitt Bf109 G-4 Italian Air Force, Eduard, 1/48 FINISHED

Started by Erik Gjørup · 108 · 3 years ago · 1/48, Bf109, Eduard, WWII
  • Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 3 years, 10 months ago:

Not bad!
    Not bad at all, my friend @airbum!
    In fact it looks splendid and cannot wait to see it progressing!

• Profile Photo
    Pedro L. Rocha said 3 years, 10 months ago:

Nothing to correct in your gustav(o) italiano 🙂 look forward for the final. By now how many 109 operators have you reach Erik?

• Profile Photo
    Erik Gjørup said 3 years, 10 months ago:

Thank you my friends. @fiveten, there may be some progress sunday, maybe. @holzhamer, off the top of my head; Yugoslav E, Swiss E and G, Finnish WWII and after, Slowak G, Hungarian G and a few Luftwaffe E F and G's. In the works are this Italian Gustavo, a rumanian, Legion Condor, Japanese and the French captured will start soon too. That is about it - may have forgotten one, but I do not think so. And after all, there is the spitfire with DB engine, but that does not really count. Oh yes, now I remember - and a Spanish K1L in the HalfWorks line too. Oh boy. (and G-12 conversion, but that will be Yugoslavian I think)

• Profile Photo
    George R Blair Jr said 3 years, 10 months ago:

Wow.

• Profile Photo

Great!

• Profile Photo

Grey

Trying to find the correct grey, I selected a Humbrol matt grey
    It turned out not to be the best choice. That matt was not easy to spray properly.

I think it may have been too thick, and in hindsight I should just have cleaned it off immediately. Now it is there, and will have to do as I have enough models that need sanding back and a respray. Some green specks and a layer of gloss may do the trick?

Next will be with the gloss on top – stay tuned

• Profile Photo
    Pedro L. Rocha said 3 years, 10 months ago:

Erik, I don’t understand why you are unpleased with the grey, is it the shade, or was the paint a pain to spray?
    Anyway it look appropriate to pass as Grigio Mimetico which I assume would be the paint used in the field by the Italians when repainting the national markings. According to a source Humbrol 140 is equivalent to that shade (https://www.stormomagazine.com/RegiaAeronauticaColorsinWWII_3a.htm).
    I like that camouflage as a whole, the fascios will pop up there

• Profile Photo

Erik, @airbum, your applied grey looks very good, me neither cannot understand what the problem is.
    Your Gustav looks great!

• Profile Photo
    George R Blair Jr said 3 years, 10 months ago:

Hi Erik. I think I am with everyone else with the gray color. It may look a little light perhaps, but I think it will be fine after you add the markings over it. Build looks great.

• Profile Photo

Thank you all - the main issue I have is not easy to see in the pictures I think - it is the texture that has been created by the paint drying too fast. I am used to gloss, and that may have been the reason. I think it will work when I get a layer of gloss clear in preparation for the decals - but first some green specks!

Great link @holzhamer, thanks!

• Profile Photo
    Erik Gjørup said 3 years, 9 months ago:

Just a tip

a wingtip (or two) that is

But first some pre-gloss clear pictures

Not the best paint ever seen, but I will let it be for now, and it can show how me not to use matt colors for this purpose in the future.

The tips, however was rather nice in a more or less uniform layer of matt white (more than 30 years old I might add) Humbrol

The layers of paint with the glass masked off has given me the desired effect of a piece of Perspex with a strip of aluskin to keep it there.

And now it is off to spray some gloss clear before decals and details – stay tuned

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 3 years, 9 months ago:

I like it very much, my friend @airbum.
    Humbrol old white seems to have worked well. No hint of uneveness, no yellowing.
    My (Humbrol) white painted stuff yellows after (say) 7-10 years. I thought it was the paint, but it might actually be the Humbrol clear varnish that I put on top...

• Profile Photo

Spiros (@fiveten), I would say it is the varnish that yellows, and that is why I try to avoid it. These matt white tips will stay this way if I am able to do so. The white on the fuselage I think will have to have some varnish to make the surface transitions between colors smoother. Thanks for the heads up my friend.

• Profile Photo
    George R Blair Jr said 3 years, 9 months ago:

This will look great with decals. I have some decals for a Spanish 109 that are crying out for a plane to be on. Much simpler camouflage, too.

• Profile Photo

George (@gblair) not only are you right, you have proven it too with your recent build. The Spanish markings are almost as different as all other 109's together - OK only just. Will it be a Friedrich in sand? That will be really cool (I might go there too)