Messerschmitt Bf109 G-4 Italian Air Force, Eduard, 1/48 FINISHED

Started by Erik Gjørup · 108 · 3 years ago · 1/48, Bf109, Eduard, WWII
  • Profile Photo
    George R Blair Jr said 3 years, 8 months ago:

I have some SBS Decals in 1/48 for a couple of Spanish 109s. One is listed as a "109F" and is 3-color camo of green, gray, and brown on top of RLM 65. The other I think is the one I prefer, a 109F-4 in sand over RLM 78. I have an F-2 in the stash, but I need to look to see if I also have an F-4.

• Profile Photo
    Erik Gjørup said 3 years, 8 months ago:

The F-2 in the stash, what is it? Some manufacturers do add parts for both, and depending on the usage some F-4's got F-2 wings etc. I may have some spareparts to make it a F-4? Send me a PM and I'll check the kit origins and what to change if you wish. The F-4 in sand is really nice! Good choice George (@gblair)

• Profile Photo
    Erik Gjørup said 3 years, 7 months ago:

Decals

Having dried for 6 weeks I thought it might be time for some decals

But to my surprise the Valejo Gloss still feels greasy to the touch! I do not know what I might have done wrong, but suffice to say I will use another brand next time I spray Gloss.

Anyhow, I used eduard decals from the kit, and they are very thin. I feared that they might be transparent as there is a lot of whte amongst them.

Well – first you have the overall view;

Does not look bad at all.

The decals actually settled down well, but just to be sure they were brushed with “Sol”

They are drying up well, and seems to fall into panellines and such well.

And one last look before I let it dry overnight for some stencils and stuff tomorrow.

There will most likely be a post with stencils, and then some matt clear and the last details – stay tuned

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 3 years, 7 months ago:

This is such an interesting and very beautiful scheme, my friend @airbum!
    Great result!

• Profile Photo

This is such an interesting and very beautiful scheme, my friend @airbum!
    Great result!

• Profile Photo
    George R Blair Jr said 3 years, 7 months ago:

This is a really cool paint scheme, Erik (@airbum), and the decals really complete the package.

• Profile Photo

Thank you gents - a small update in a minute.

• Profile Photo

Stencils done

As mentioned I got to the stencils today

There are far less than – say – an F-4, but quite enough for me thanks

The small frame-numbers need to be in-line, and with micro set on the plane it is near impossible to see the lines of all the hatces to place the stencils on. I do think I got it right, but Micro sol and time will tell.

stay tuned for whatever comes next – it will need a damp cloth and some matt before the last details

• Profile Photo

Regarding the F-4 stencils, it is to my strong belief, that there's no need for a hard or soft copy of F-4 technical manual, since all the manual is stencilled on the plane! -lol (Finished a Revell 1/32 Greek bird last January, used the Icarus Decals stencils...man, this has to be seen to be believed; I almost went nuts; and I didn't use all of them. This plane is FULL of stencils - anyway, I'm carried away now)

Your Italo Gustav looks wonderful from here, and I can sense the finish line is not that far away, my friend @airbum!

• Profile Photo
    Erik Gjørup said 3 years, 5 months ago:

Spiros (@fiveten) my friend, one month for the decals to settle, that must be enough? Right? update comin' right up.

• Profile Photo

Matt on, masks off

With a layer of matt (flat) added it was finally time to get the masks off

Nasty surprice – I had used maskol in places, and with it in place for a month or three it had become more of a solid hard layer than a easily removeable rubber thing. Oh well, you can’t win them all.

Now, I think I have previously said that I did not like the “Italian mottling” areas one bit. There will have to be a next time for this (no, I will not sand it down and start over – it will be another plane, but that only brings me closer to 109 109s)

Also there is some silvering, and it has to be a lesson learned to give the models a good even layer of gloss clear before committing to decals. Noted.

The hood is only placed loosely, and actually it tight-fits OK, so perhaps it will stay that way. After all a model is not supposed to be lifted and handled, is it?

Now it will be touch-ups and details, you will have to tune in to see if any updates follow this one or it will be just a final reveal. Feel free to comment

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 3 years, 5 months ago:

The Italian mottling too looks perfect from here, my friend @airbum.
    Looks very natural, applied over the "basic" one. It would look more or less like this in real life.

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 3 years, 5 months ago:

Another beauty nearing completion, Erik @airbum.
    109's never are boring.
    Nice to see the mottling on the wings.

• Profile Photo
    George R Blair Jr said 3 years, 5 months ago:

The mottle on the wings is very cool, Erik (@airbum). I don't think I have ever seen a 109 with wing camo like this.

• Profile Photo

Those details. . .

More details are to be added

With the ambition I set out with almost two years ago, there is still a lot of details to be added to this one before it can be called finished – and as it was one of my first builds in this round of building models the bar was set a bit high.

That does not stop me from continuing, as it is a great learning experience, and a way to improve my skills as time flies.

I bought a lot of AM products, and these have been used here and there. One of the most interesting ones are the open hatches options – small details that bring out a more living presentation I think.

Thank you for the encouraging comments @fiveten, @JohnB and @gblair. Up close it is not all so nice, the grey areas are a bit too not-scale and the patches of olive should be smaller but you know what – it is a great way to improve, and I love all the small steps.