Messerschmitt Bf109 G-6 WNr 161742, Slowak, Eduard 1/48 FINISHED

Started by Erik Gjørup · 53 · 3 years ago · 1/48, Bf109, Eduard, Slowak uprising
  • Profile Photo
    Erik Gjørup said 4 years, 10 months ago:

SURPRISE! – it’s a 109

I may have to get some professional help any time soon, but until then the 109 avalanche continues (yes, there are a few more in the works)

This time it is a G-6, WNr 161742 from the Slowak uprising, one of the first occations where 109’s fought 109’s as far as I know (will happily stand corrected!)

Once again it is the old trusted Eduard cockpit with some extra etched details

This one will be with rudders and elevator in neutral, and so the stick is nicely centered, making easy work with the assembly. (yes other detailing may take place)

fresh air

The fresh-air inlet on the left wall needs to be open – it is warm outside.

Some fiddeling later..

next up will be the usual additions – boring stuff, I know, so perhaps a twist will come along

• Profile Photo
    Louis Gardner said 4 years, 10 months ago:

Excellent addition ! I like what you’re doing here. 🙂

• Profile Photo
    George R Blair Jr said 4 years, 10 months ago:

I think this is the first time I have seen a cockpit vent on a model. Or maybe it was there & I didn't know what I was looking at. Any way, the level of detail is amazing. Can't wait to see it all painted!

• Profile Photo

Let there be light

First – thanx for the comments and kind words! Now, I think that if you have seen some of my other Bf 109’s you will know that I like to see glass at the wingtips. Here we go..

To make the navigation lights, first you flatten a piece of clear sprue (it is free as opposed to clear sheet) and drill some holes.

The sprue is then painted red and green to make left and right nav-lights

Then you drill out some space behind the fairing, and perhaps mount a small piece of scrap alu inside to simulate the mounting plate (there should ideally be some space in front and behind of it, as a wing is hollow)

Cyano then does the trick, and you can start roughing out the shape

Use tape to protect the wingskin, starting with a saw, moving on to files and then sanding

And finish off with some polishing.

Sorry it got a bit longish, but that is the step-by-step nav-light as done here at “Hald-Werk” (I live in a place called Hald, and as it is approaching ironworks style assembly I thought that might be an appropriate name?) (I also have to admit that I have started a small shop at my “local” airport and named it in a similar fashion – sorry for the ad-style comment, hope it will pass)

next up will be detailing of the office I think

• Profile Photo
    Pedro L. Rocha said 4 years, 10 months ago:

Erik, those nav lights are very good, and furthermore true to scale. Just how did you manage to get the clear plastic so translucent after all that sanding? My previous experiences using sanding files over clear plastic were never so shiny if you know what I mean

• Profile Photo

@holzhamer I have to admit I am rather surprised how easy it is - I use fine sandingsticks to get the final shape, and then I give them a go with a polishing stick, and that does the trick! - if more shine is needed I suppose the tricks used by jet-modellers for removing seams on canopies will do fine - I think they use some polishingpaste (I have heard toothpaste may do the trick) the second from last picture is after sanding, the last one is after polishing.

Hope that helps
    Erik

• Profile Photo
    Pedro L. Rocha said 4 years, 10 months ago:

What is the grade of that final polishing stick Erik? Cause I’ve tried exactly the same method but somehow the final result isn’t that clear as you achieve there. Perhaps I need a finer grade stick. Thanks for the explanation

• Profile Photo

I got mine in a setbox from flex-i-file. It is named #3210 Polisher/Finisher, and I got mine from hannants I think. Have fun!

• Profile Photo
    david leigh-smith said 4 years, 10 months ago:

Excellent tutorials, Erik. Looking forward to the twists.

• Profile Photo

@holzhamer - I just noticed after the first reply that I also have one from squadron - exactly the same, but no number. They are both identical apart from logo etc, so presumably they are from the same manufacturer. I think that Ultimate has something similar.

• Profile Photo

David - happy to twist! thanx.

• Profile Photo
    Erik Gjørup said 4 years, 9 months ago:

The office

The walls gets some extras, instruments get glass

The righthand wall got a few boxes and stuff

The electrical boxes are made of sheet plastic, the wires are from the cable of an old PC-mouse. The red handle is a long copper wire bent a few times.

Instruments made from Eduards photoetch

And the back brushed with Tamiya Clear. Unfortunately I did not notice that the glue deformed the ultrathin glass when glueing the pieces together.

The instruments in place and the fuselage assembled.

Just visible near the emergencygearhandle is the selector for the fuel-fed windshield cleanser. Also made of copperwire.

One more to show the rather simple layout of the windshieldwashtap

next up wings get glued in place

• Profile Photo
    George R Blair Jr said 4 years, 9 months ago:

Amazingly detailed, Erik. The deformation in the glass is noticeable only in the one photo where you pointed it out. No one will ever know it is there except for you. Great job.

• Profile Photo
    David Mills said 4 years, 9 months ago:

Nice work Erik!

• Profile Photo
    Erik Gjørup said 4 years, 9 months ago:

Well george, as I said before in another build, I will know! - but that is all part of the learning, and when I celebrate my 250th birthday I shall make the most perfect one ever - untill then it is all learning 🙂
    Thanx David.