Messerschmitt Bf109F-1, Werner Mölders, eduard 1/48 FINISHED

Started by Erik Gjørup · 68 · 3 years ago · 1/48, Bf109, Eduard, Messerschmitt, mölders
  • Profile Photo
    George R Blair Jr said 3 years, 11 months ago:

Over a gloss surface, like you would normally do. I found the technique in the new book from Sam Publications on the F-104 Starfighter, page 80. This is the new edition in the MDF series, #36. Great book.

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 3 years, 11 months ago:

Thank you @gblair!

• Profile Photo
    Erik Gjørup said 3 years, 11 months ago:

@holzhamer, the Infinity replaced a Badger 150 here - giant leap! I still have some teething trouble, and I mentioned earlier having difficulties with a sqirt comin out when I closed the nozzle. I was told it might be because there was dirt, and cleaned everything. Then I put in the Small needle and it was a dream. The other day I changed back and it was back to misbehavin'. I may have to get a new needle and insert.

@gblair that sound like a good trick - I will try that one one day on a sacrificial model.

@fiveten, the assistant sends greetings and thanks.

Just one more post comin' up before other stuff will be attended to here at Halfworks.

• Profile Photo

All stenciled and decalled up

but no clear yet – just thought it looked really cool

• and I have decided to stop here, as it was a well kept machine and I think it might have been minimal what stencils were used. (besides, the ones I had from the eduard 2016 F-kits were really bad - not at all like their later stuff)

And that will have to do for now. Back into the box to dry before I re-check the decals and pull out the clear matt before the final details gets painted and installed.

Thanx for all the comments and advice, I appreciate it! – stay tunedfor what may be the last post before it’s headed for the headlines

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 3 years, 11 months ago:

Looks great @airbum!
    Waiting eagerly to approach the finish line!

• Profile Photo

@fiveten, so am I, so am I. . . .

• Profile Photo
    Erik Gjørup said 3 years, 10 months ago:

One step closer

Nothing much this time – just a coat of matt clear

I still think I might have a round of semimatt instead as this machine will have been washed and polished a lot.

Well, not at all bad. . .

Now I have to take off those vinyl masks – not really looking forward to it as I prefer tape, but it had to be tried before I can tell if it is anything I will do again.

I might still redo the surface, but for now this is it. I will add some details while I think.

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 3 years, 10 months ago:

Semimatt is always a safe choice, @airbum.
    Great job, so far!

• Profile Photo
    George R Blair Jr said 3 years, 10 months ago:

Another great looking 109, Erik (@airbum). A coat of flat or semi-gloss always seems to pull things together in a way that gloss doesn't. I really like the paint scheme on 109s that feature the yellow panels.

• Profile Photo
    Erik Gjørup said 3 years, 10 months ago:

Sawing and cutting

Just got half an hour today, and decided to give the Mölders plane a go

First off, thanks my friends for the comments and kind words @fiveten and @gblair, as always they are appreciated.

The exhaust system had been prepared earlier to use the eduard Resin parts, and I had to saw the pipes from the block to enable them to be fitted.

I am just a tiny bit paranoid when it comes to resin dust, and whenever I saw it, it is always done wet.

First a soaked piece of tissue to catch anything that drops off. The the part is dipped in water, and finally the saw is dipped into water every now and then. Sounds like a lot of work, but it really is not.

After sawing I dispose off the tissue after washing down the desk with the clean side, and thats it - clean dustfree desk.

Then the cheap circle cutter got a go at making homemade masks for the wheels now that I had a clean desk. Sort of worked OK.

Now the tires will be painted and left to dry next time I get to go and paint. Then the masks will be used in order to paint the hubs, and that should get me a few steps closer to the finishline.

stay tuned and feel free to comment on my resinfobia – is it over the top?

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 3 years, 10 months ago:

That's some progress, my friend @airbum! Resin block removal and follow on preparation does take its time...
    Your cheap circle cutter produces expensive looking masks!
    As for the resin dust, taking into account the fact that there are documented risks associated, who can confront you? If this makes you feel as safe as you wish, then you should go for it.

• Profile Photo
    George R Blair Jr said 3 years, 10 months ago:

I am impressed how well your circle cutter worked. I had a similar one and got really poor results. Maybe it was operator error on my part? I, too, am worried about resin dust, which is one of the reasons I don't do resin cockpits or parts much. The other reason is that I am lazy. :o)

• Profile Photo
    Erik Gjørup said 3 years, 9 months ago:

Thank you my friends.

Spiros (@fiveten), as time consuming the resin is, just as good it gets in most cases (I have seen rubbish, but 99% of the time it is very nice and adds tremendously)

George (@gblair), the secret to this circlecutter is TIGHT. Fingerscrew needs to be very tight and the (sloppy) bar needs to lay flat along one of the groves. Then it works OK. Regarding being lazy, so am I but bearing in mind the countless hours you can save from a well-sculpted resin part, I think it is OK every now and then. There is of course the matter of expense. Resin is not cheap to buy as a raw material, and it takes time to make a good casting.

Well - I'm off to the workbench again - untill next time, stay safe my friends.

• Profile Photo
    Erik Gjørup said 3 years, 9 months ago:

Last details

Finishing up the last details before it is ready to be given away

Well, last year my girlfriend got marseilles’ 109, and this year she will get this one for her birthday, and it must be finished by Monday morning!

I have been able to work on all the details and touch-ups, and as of now all that is left is to put the propeller and antenna on.

There are quite a bit of AM parts used in this build

Master Pitot

Just looks that little bit better than the plastic one.

The undercarriage retraction arm visible – with shiny chrome oleo arm!

The doors have been thinned to look a lot more realistic.

Resin exhaust has welded detail

and the shimy ring on the axle is there (molotow chrome pen)

So all in all

I do think it is almost there and will soon be ready to be giftwrapped!

there may be a picture or two of the finished product – thank you for following along and all the comments and kind words along the way. Next year will be? (another 109 of course – materials have been bought, but not a word! It’s a secret. ssshhhhh. hushhush. geheim.

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 3 years, 9 months ago:

My friend @airbum! This is a wonderful model!
    And I just loved all those small final details implemented.
    I am sure your girlgfriend will love it!
    Thanks for having me as a passenger here!
    Onto another 109!