Me109 E-3a "4", Bulgaria, Tamiya, 1/48

Started by Erik Gjørup · 10 · 3 weeks ago · 1/48, ausland, Bf109, Bf109E-3a, Bulgaria, Emil, Me109E-3a, Messerschmitt, quarterscale, Tamiya
  • Profile Photo
    Erik Gjørup said 3 months, 3 weeks ago:

Bulgarian 109, W.Nr. 5224

The base for this is the Exotic Decals’ “Bulgarian Arrows #2”

They have 3 sets of Bulgarian “Emil” markings, and rest assured the other two sets will be used in later builds.

Most of the build follows the usual method, and a lot of the preparations have already been addressed in my 109 werke topic, so here we go as of today:

As you can see, vents opened up, the MG changed for swiss ones and seat from SBS model used. Only new addition here is the stick – all the early export E-3a versions were delivered with this, so I need to get hold of a few of them.

next up will probably be the fuselage closed, or perhaps some work on the wings? Tune in later to check!

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 3 months, 3 weeks ago:

Very nice work on this Emil, Erik @airbum
    I was surprised to see this one is having a closed spinner, not that often seen on an Emil.

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 3 months, 3 weeks ago:

Excellent job so far, my friend @airbum!

• Profile Photo
    Erik Gjørup said 1 month, 2 weeks ago:

A drill and seatbelts

progress has been made off-camera

Most of the assembly of these Tamiya 109’s have been shown a zillion times, so no need for the basics?

Anyway, the wings were assembled, and I realized that the upper wing had not been prepped for the Oerlikons!

and so they were drilled out.

Off-camera, I did paint and assemble the cockpit, and after assembly I installed some seatbelts.

The majority were from a Eduard PE from a Friedrich, the rear-straps were modified from a SBS interior PE fret. Quite a mess, but it will have to do.

next up most likely undercarriage and primer? tune in again to check!

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 1 month, 2 weeks ago:

Some good progress made, Erik @airbum

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 1 month, 2 weeks ago:

Excellent progress, my friend @airbum!

• Profile Photo
    George R Blair Jr said 1 month, 2 weeks ago:

Looks great, Erik (@airbum). We have seen a lot of 109 builds, but it is always fun to watch you problem-solve and scratch-build, so keep them coming.

• Profile Photo
    Erik Gjørup said 3 weeks, 1 day ago:

Thanks @fiveten, @johnb and @gblair – willco!

Sheet filler.

Before primer I need to finish the filler

Having added a strip of evergreen, it is clear after some testfitting that it needs to be larger. As it is already glued in place it will have to be a thin strip to be added.

Now, that is more like it. Still need to blank out the cutout though!

The slats were testfitted after the filler had been sanded.

Kind of happy with the result – could be better but works as is.

next up I will most likely add legs (as I usually do) and THEN it is primer etc…

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 3 weeks, 1 day ago:

Nice filling method, my friend @airbum!

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 3 weeks ago:

Looks much better this way, Erik @airbum