Me109 E-3a "4", Bulgaria, Tamiya, 1/48

Started by Erik Gjørup · 21 · 5 hours ago · 1/48, ausland, Bf109, Bf109E-3a, Bulgaria, Emil, Me109E-3a, Messerschmitt, quarterscale, Tamiya
  • Profile Photo
    George R Blair Jr said 1 month, 4 weeks ago:

I always like the 109s with the supports under the stabilizers, Erik (@airbum). The struts take the guessing out of getting things horizontal. Glad to see you back at the bench.

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 1 month, 4 weeks ago:

Nice repair on the strut, Erik @airbum
    Glad to see that, despite your lack of time, you were still able to progress a bit on this one.

• Profile Photo
    Erik Gjørup said 13 hours, 34 minutes ago:

Turned out the repair was no good @fiveten and @johnb. @gblair, unfortunately the struts on these tend to be a bit short, but can be installed with caution (and a gap)

Venting!

I open up some vents

The radiators were opened up to look more like the real stuff – the Emil’s often had them open while parked.

and the small flap on the oilcooler also got opened up.

The troublesome strut had to be re-visited

and a cocktailstick taped on for strength while the glue set.

And so it is back in the box for a while while some of the other 109’s get some TLC

• Profile Photo
    George R Blair Jr said 12 hours, 18 minutes ago:

Sorry the repair on the strut didn't work out, Erik (@airbum). The original break created a weak spot and there isn't a lot of surface area for the glue to hold. The problem with the struts under the tail is that they are in a place that gets bumped and grabbed, so it is easy to re-injure the mended part. If it keeps breaking, it might be easier to leave each end attached to the plane, cut away the middle, and replace it. Good luck.

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 8 hours, 42 minutes ago:

Nice opening up of those vents, my friend @airbum!

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 5 hours, 59 minutes ago:

Those vents look much better this way, Erik @airbum
    Nice trick on supporting the strut.