Miles Magister, MikroMir 1/32

Started by Dmitry Stropalov · 70 · 1 year ago
  • Profile Photo
    Dmitry Stropalov said 1 year, 4 months ago:

I was lazy, so I didn't do as much as I could. I've decided to not go with black basing/marbling as I usually do, but put flat colours on a light grey primer. This gives me the base for further colorisation with oils. I made it once with this model – https://imodeler.com/2021/01/arado-ar-68-e-roden-1-48/ After the paint had dried the model was sanded with P1200 water sandpaper to remove small artefacts, and give a basic light worn effect.

• Profile Photo
    Pedro L. Rocha said 1 year, 4 months ago:

I wish I had a cutter machine like yours and the talent you display using it Dmitry 🙂
    Looking very good. It’s nice to change the way one paints or weathers imo. Not only it allows us to improve and go out of the usual comfort zone but it also helps breaks the signature look most of our kits tend to have due to the painting/weathering being repeated from build to build.
    I think you did just that break in this camouflage, so I’m looking forward to the oils

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 1 year, 4 months ago:

Looking super, my friend @starfar!

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 1 year, 4 months ago:

Beautiful result on the paintwork, Dmitry @starfar

• Profile Photo
    George R Blair Jr said 1 year, 4 months ago:

Looks great, Dmitry (@starfar). The colors and masks have worked out well. I really like that small sliver of camo under the plane at the wing root. I have been experimenting with my wife's cutter and like using the masks it makes, as long as the surface is fairly flat. It doesn't work well over surfaces that have a lot of raised detail. Finding the right fonts is sometimes a problem. It looks like the masks have really worked out well for this plane. Well done.

• Profile Photo
    Erik Gjørup said 1 year, 4 months ago:

Those homemade masks really made a difference!

• Profile Photo

Thank you, friends!

@holzhamer You're right, Pedro. That's my try to do this things differently. Funny thing here – I was always starting painting, decals, weathering, etc. from bottom to top surfaces. This resulted in a situation when I was putting more attention and efforts into bottom surfaces, which are visible on a one photo in a resulting post. This time I've changed the flow, so I'll do the oils from top to bottom.

@gblair Thanks, George! I was trying to avoid that camo underneath, but photos proved that it was so. Don't know why, and my only assumption is that fuselage and wings were painted separately. I use two types of paper with my cutter – vinyl Oramask 810 and yellow kabuki paper. Kabuki is good for something like canopy masks, where you have curvy surfaces, and vinyl for lettering. And several times I didn't find a font, so I was used to repaint symbols in an editor.

@airbum Thank you, Erik for pointing at the right RAF font!

• Profile Photo

I've started with the tail with the oils. It's something in between washes and shading. It's an intermediate look, and also I spot issues on the photos which I've missed during the work.

• Profile Photo

The effect is very realistic, my friend @starfar!

• Profile Photo

Using oils really created a great effect, Dmitry (@starfar). The more I use oils to create effects on my models, the more I like them. I have never tried kabuki paper in a cutter, but I may need to order some and see how it goes. I think it is significantly more expensive than the Oramask.

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 1 year, 4 months ago:

Nice work with the oils, Dmitry @starfar.
    My experience is also that pictures reveal more than you would like to see, though most of the imperfections are small and still repairable.

• Profile Photo
    Erik Gjørup said 1 year, 4 months ago:

As one sits down and take a closer look there is always a small dot here or a minute detail there that can be improved, but overall to my eye it looks very nice on-screen.

• Profile Photo

First of all I would like to thank you for your comments. It helps me a lot with the build, and keeps me working on it.

@gblair Yes, George, kabuki paper is much more expensive, but I use it occasionally, only when needed. As of today I still have 4 and a half sheets out of 5 from AMMO (AMIG8043). Mostly it was canopies and masks for curvy surfaces.

What I like most about oils is that you can remove it and start once again in a case of some issues. And blending of course.

I've finished with a "wash" on the upper surfaces, and next I would like to fix it with a satin coat, so all other oil layers would not interfere with each other. Or I'll move to the bottom surfaces before the satin. Anyway, I will leave it at least for tomorrow to check everything once again before moving to a next step whatever it would be. I'm not sure about the final result, and I'm treating this as an experiment. My current assumption is that it's too much of a contrast, but will see. Intermediate steps may look suspicious.

• Profile Photo

Your wash did a really nice job highlighting the panel lines, Dmitry (@starfar). I have a bad habit of using oils directly on the color layer without any protection from a clear coat. Sometimes the oil pigment will soak into the color layer, making it really difficult. You would think I would learn. :o)

• Profile Photo

Looks really great, my friend @Starfar!