MiniArt 1/48 P-47M-1-RE Thunderbolt

Started by David Odenwald · 74 · 1 day ago
  • Profile Photo
    David Odenwald said 1 month, 3 weeks ago:

Yes you read that right. A P-47M-1-RE by MiniArt.

How? Just a bit of kit bashing since all P-47Ms started life as P-47D-30-REs. I am going to take from my 1/48 Tamiya P-47D bubbletop its Option B propeller. And from my ICM 1/48 B-26K after market stash the resin Quickboost engine case and magnetos to make a C series R-2800-57 engine. Working on getting some 56th FG decals right now.

So stay tuned.

• Profile Photo
    Louis Gardner said 1 month, 3 weeks ago:

David Odenwald (@kahu)
    I'm looking forward to seeing this one underway ! I'll get the stickers in the mail tomorrow. I like what you're doing here with this one. Sorry to make your wallet take a hit though... but you should be happy in the end when you have something that no one else does.

• Profile Photo
    Tom Cleaver said 1 month, 3 weeks ago:

Yeah, this is an obvious "conversion." You're probably a couple months ahead of MiniArt releasing it as a formal kit.

• Profile Photo

First photo here.

Top is the kit crankcase and bottom is the resin one from Quickboost.

Thanks Tom and Louis.

1 attached image. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 1 month, 3 weeks ago:

Excellent entry and very interesting conversion, my friend @kahu! Looking forward to it!

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 1 month, 3 weeks ago:

Great entry, looking forward to this conversion, David @kahu

• Profile Photo
    George R Blair Jr said 1 month, 3 weeks ago:

This should be a fun and relatively uncomplicated conversion, David @kahu. I will definitely be following along.

• Profile Photo

It should be relatively uncomplicated except the carpet monster just ate part D7 for one of the main gear wells. Luckily it is a small part and I used its mirror part to make a suitable substitute out of sheet plastic.

Let's hope this is the only time the carpet monster gets fed.

• Profile Photo
    Tom Cleaver said 1 month, 3 weeks ago:

@kahu - you really have to watch out for the carpet monster with this kit - there are lots of little parts. I have found now having done three of the kits that it is best to cut the part off the sprue one at a time and immediately glue it where it needs to go.

• Profile Photo

Yes oodles of tiny parts. And D7 went flying while using tweezers.

• Profile Photo
    George R Blair Jr said 1 month, 3 weeks ago:

I lose parts on every kit that I build, David (@kahu), and end up having to create a replacement from scratch. My success rate of finding the missing part in the carpet is usually near zero.

• Profile Photo

Managed to finish the main gear wells without losing another part. So winning!

As you can see the detail is simply amazing. It is like Zoukei Mura had made a 1/32 P-47 and all the parts got perfectly shrunk to 1/48. The down side is plenty of petite parts that can be easy to break. So take your time removing the parts from the sprues.

This is a banger of a kit.

2 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo

George @gblair

Or you find the part three months after finishing the kit.

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 1 month, 3 weeks ago:

Wonderful looking landing gear, my friend @kahu!
    Ahhhhh, those missing parts! A big discussion on when and under which circumstances are found again...

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 1 month, 3 weeks ago:

Those wheel wells are indeed very detailed, David @kahu