MiniArt 1/48 P-47M-1-RE Thunderbolt

Started by David Odenwald · 74 · 3 days ago
  • Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 1 month ago:

Great that all was fixed uneventfully, my friend @kahu!
    Some ignition wires wii not hurt 😁

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 1 month ago:

Some wires added to the engine would for sure add some detail, David @kahu

• Profile Photo
    David Odenwald said 4 weeks, 1 day ago:

Well this is the first time trying the lead wire as ignition wires thing. Hope it works out. Got t decal and n engine cowling.

A word on tires. Both the flattened and diamond treads there is a slight overlap that means sanding and rescribing the tread.

1 attached image. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 4 weeks, 1 day ago:

Wiring looks super, my friend @kahu!

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 4 weeks, 1 day ago:

Nice result on the wiring, David @kahu
    Did you use CA glue to get them fixed?

• Profile Photo
    David Odenwald said 3 weeks, 5 days ago:

John @johnb

0.2mm lead wire, dab of super glue from toothpick, and put into spark plug hole for each cylinder. Just doing nine was a challenge.

Spiros @fiveten thanks.

Oddly both 200 gallon tanks in kit were a bit bowed so there were gaps where the halves met. A bit of putty fixed it. Now prepping to shoot Tamiya aluminum or a different Vallejo on some panels and drop tank for some variation. Getting closer to putting decals on.

• Profile Photo
    David Meyer said 3 weeks, 4 days ago:

I’m really late to this post, but there was discussion about losing small parts to the carpet monster. When I get desperate to find a lost part, I put a piece of my wife’s old pantyhose over the suction hose. Hold it VERY tightly with one hand before turning the vacuum on with the other hand and run it around over the carpet. The vacuum will draw the lost parts up to the pantyhose and I’ve been fairly successful stealing some of them back from the monster.

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 3 weeks, 4 days ago:

Looking forward to your panel painting, my friend @kahu!

• Profile Photo
    David Odenwald said 2 weeks, 3 days ago:

Been awhile since last update but here we are. Blue applied. Bare metal painted. A couple coats of Testors gloss and now applying decals.

Nice thing about Mr. Color and Vallejo is after they are laid down and given time to dry, none comes up with the Tamiya tape.

The under wing star is MiniArt. Thin but tough. Look at the detail showing through with just Micro Set. Used some MiniArt stencil decals on underside but have to remember to flood with Micro Set or decal will snug down and not move.

2 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 2 weeks, 3 days ago:

Nice work on the painting, David @kahu
    Decals do seem to lay down nicely as well.

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 2 weeks, 3 days ago:

Great painting and decaling job so far, my friend @kahu!

• Profile Photo
    David Odenwald said 4 days ago:

All the decals are on. Managed to use the extra light blue decals on the Tamiya sheet to make repairs on the large wing star that had broken up while applying.

Think I am in the home stretch.

1 attached image. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 3 days, 23 hours ago:

Decals do look great, David @kahu
    Nice save.

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 3 days, 22 hours ago:

Decals look really nice on, my friend @kahu! Great that you were able to make repairs using decals from the Tamiya sheet!