Monogram 1/48 B-29 Superfortress.

Started by Josh Patterson · 1 · 8 years ago · B-29, Monogram, Superfortress
  • Profile Photo
    Josh Patterson said 8 years, 5 months ago:

Got my Superfortress out and am making the final run on it! After polishing out two of the nacelles, I had the bright idea to try Bare Metal Foil. I don't know what would've taken more time, sanding and polishing, or applying the foil! Anyway, after a little practice I'm getting the hang of it, but got a couple of hairs trapped under the foil by the tail gunner's compartment. The foil does compound curves pretty well, but the nacelles are taking about eight panels a piece to finish. (And then some matte aluminum access panels.) I will have to use the wet paper method to mask and respray the panels covering the superchargers and the stainless metalizer I applied first is rubbing off in areas.

I'll probably only do this one more time for my Combat XB-49 as it is getting quite expensive on such a large plane. But I predict much filler and sanding on that one, and the BMF covers minor sanding scratches very well!

I cant decide if I'm going to seal the cockpit, or leave the glazing so it's removable but one thing is for sure. I need to get some kinda brush in there and do some house cleaning! It sure got dusty sitting!

7 attached images. Click to enlarge.