Monogram Classic Lockheed Constellation - Box Scale

Started by Carl Smoot · 51 · 9 months ago
  • Profile Photo
    Carl Smoot said 11 months ago:

Thanks John (@johnb). I love the DC-6. Such a good looking plane. I'm sure it looked great in white livery.

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 11 months ago:

White is always challenging to apply, you did a perfect job, my friend @clipper!

• Profile Photo
    George R Blair Jr said 11 months ago:

Looks good, Carl (@clipper). White always looks odd to me when it is the only color on a model, but I think I will look great once you apply your other colors and decals.

• Profile Photo
    Carl Smoot said 11 months ago:

Thanks Spiros (@fiveten) and George (@gblair).

George, I know what you mean. I was thinking this very thing yesterday and wanting to quickly get the other colors on the kit. I've seen build ups of this same kit and the decals have a prominent yellow tinge to the clear carrier film. Even with some sun exposure, I am sure that yellow will continue to show. So I am going to attempt to paint most of the markings. I'll only use decals if the markings are too small to properly cut in my vinyl cutter..

• Profile Photo
    Carl Smoot said 10 months, 3 weeks ago:

The Constellation needed the decals applied. I had originally considered masking these, but I felt the effort needed would probably be extensive since I would have had to make the masks (a lot of drawing work) and masking those stripes would have been a challenge.

The decals had a slight yellow tinge to them, so I stuck them out in the sun for several hours and that reduced it to a negligible amount. To be sure, I tested them on the stairs first.

The decals worked okay, although they took a long time to release from the paper. When I started on the main model, I had a mishap with the starboard side striping. It broke into several pieces with some fairly small. So I had to carefully put them on and align everything. I was able to later touch up any bad areas with some red paint. The port side decals went on fine.

All of these took several applications of MicroSol to get them to suck down enough.

I still need to paint the deicer boots, nose radome, and anti glare panel in front of the windshield. I wanted them to have a slightly satin look instead of glossy , so I overcoated the entire model first with Tamiya clear.The other thing I plan on doing is making the engines a bit more dull, and possibly slightly dirty since all the photos I've seen show them a definite different shade. I'll also be doing a small amount of weathering, primarily a panel line wash and exhaust stains.

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 10 months, 3 weeks ago:

The Conny is progressing nicely, Carl @clipper
    Finish line is approaching rapidly.

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 10 months, 3 weeks ago:

Amazing progress, my friend @clipper! Closer to the finish line indeed!

• Profile Photo
    George R Blair Jr said 10 months, 3 weeks ago:

What a difference the decals make on this model, Carl @clipper. They really bring it to life. I have had a couple of instances lately when the decals tooks a really long time to release. There was a fine line between having enough time in the water and having them float away, so I finally took them out of the water early and re-wet them with a brush until they released.

• Profile Photo

Thanks John (@johnb), Spiros (@fiveten), and George (@gblair).

I believe what happened with the decals breaking was the curling that occurs when placed in warm water. I attempted to straighten them out on the first time when trying to see if they were ready to apply and I believe the decal paint was not soft enough yet to take this, causing microfractures. ON the second side, I left the decals alone longer, and had no issues with breaking.

But this is my first experience with really long decals (as used on airliners) so there was some learning curve to get over. Placing these correctly, which I doubt I did), was difficult. I need to find a better way to hold the model when it's on its side. The arrangement I used was too rickety. I'm thinking of making something from wood for the next kit.

• Profile Photo
    George R Blair Jr said 10 months, 3 weeks ago:

Your long-line decals look great, Carl (@clipper). Decals that are long and thin are my personal nemesis. I have so much trouble with the decals that I now find it preferable to mask and paint, but the ultimate answer is that I avoid anything with long lines, especially airliners. Airliners are too clean, they are evil.

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 10 months, 3 weeks ago:

Long decals are, in most cases, a nightmare, Carl @clipper
    At least this is my experience. Like George @gblair, I try to paint those larger areas as much as possible.
    Nevertheless, your current decal progress looks really good.

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 10 months, 3 weeks ago:

Super decal job, my friend @clipper! A learning curve indeed, I always leave such decals for quite some time submerged, to minimize stress cracks...
    Not always a success...

• Profile Photo

I definitely considered painting as well. It came down to the amount of time it would have taken to create masks for the lettering. I was not confident I could match the red in the decals so I felt it was either all of the decals needed to be painted or none. So the stripes would have been fairly easy to mask off. But with all the lettering and some of it quite small, it would have been a chore to recreate all those masks, even on the computer. I researched the font for TWA and found one of the two used, but trying to repo the text quickly turned into a frustrating experience. So I just decided to take my chances with the decals.

• Profile Photo
    George Williams said 10 months, 3 weeks ago:

Hi Carl @clipper, this build looks great. With long transfers (decals) I usually cut them at suitable places and apply them a piece at a time. Really looking forward to seeing the final result, such a good looking plane.

• Profile Photo
    Carl Smoot said 10 months, 2 weeks ago:

Slow but steady progress continues on the Constellation. There has been a lot of small detail work needed (and still more to do). I first concentrated on getting a variety of small bits painted including the spinning propellers. I had to respray the cockpit windshield area because the original masking had slipped and covered an area I wanted white. It had also allowed part of the blue windows to be painted.

Next I started working on the base of the diorama. Because of the decals problems I had, I wanted to show the better side of the aircraft . This required me to reverse my original plan of how I was going to mount the aircraft. I also decided to move it more towards the center of the base. Here is a shot of that experimentation.

I was torn on how to represent the cement parking ramp. I considered plaster of paris but was afraid I wouldn't be able to get it flat enough. So I decided to try something different. 320 grit sandpaper. After gluing it down, I wasn't so sure if this was the best idea.

While waiting for the sandpaper glue to dry I started on the landing gear.

After the sandpaper glue dried, I masked off the base and started painting the "cement". . I used a variety of grays to break up the monotony of the area. It helped to improve the appearance of the cement. It's not perfect and I want to try something different next time, but it doesn't look too bad. I also did a pin wash on the plane which perhaps makes the panel lines too prominent, but I rather like the look.

Next up was tackling the chain link fence. Using some YouTube videos for ideas, I soldered some brass craft wire together and then bent the top at approximately 45 degrees. This was actually a lot of work because each solder joint has to be filed to clean up the excess solder. I was sure the fence was going to fall apart, but the solder joints all held. To simulate barbed wire across the top, I twisted fine copper wire and then super glued it to the frame. And for the chain link portion, I used some Tulle (wedding veil fabric). I'll be painting this later and after I've added the other ground elements, I will install this fence. The fence will border the parking ramp as seen in the previous photo of the drawing of the layout.