North American P-51B Mustang (Tamiya 1/48) versus A-36 Apache (AM 1/48)

Started by John vd Biggelaar · 482 · 2 months ago
  • Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 1 year, 1 month ago:

Looking superb, my friend @johnb!

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 1 year, 1 month ago:

@gblair, thanks a lot, George. So do I, the closer to the end the more nervous I get to work on the final bits.

@fiveten, thank you, Spiros.

• Profile Photo

Had some struggle with the decals and stencils from the beginning on, they were very brittle and tended to fall apart easily. The larger decals did suffer some minor pieces to came off but the smaller parts were extremely difficult to get done correctly. From the decal film all looks fine but when submitted into water they start to crack..

I decided to apply the decals and stencils on the propellor blades. The remaining small stencils I will not apply them to prevent further struggles.

• Profile Photo

Looking super, my friend @johnb! Chances are that the smaller stencils would have been painted over in the field.

• Profile Photo

@fiveten, thank you, Spiros. I agree on that, paintwork done in the field would cover most of them.

• Profile Photo
    George R Blair Jr said 1 year, 1 month ago:

Decals look great, John (@johnb). I have been able to save old decals by spraying a light coat of clear gloss over the decal sheet, which essentially creates a new clear film to hold them together. It does make the decals thicker, which creates its own problems. I usually replace old decals, if I can.

• Profile Photo
    Stephen W Towle said 1 year, 1 month ago:

John, to echo Georges comments on decals, your "holding your breath" and crossing your fingers . . . twice to see if there naughty or nice. Spiros has good comment about the over painting of small stencils. Your build is going to be a smart, tight build with a great Olive drab paint job.

• Profile Photo

@gblair, @stephen-w-towle, thank you, George, Stephen. This technique I was informed about, but I had already 'saved' the larger decals in an acceptable way. For the small stencils I did not want to take the risk to mess up the looks. I might give this technique to save decals a try next time.

• Profile Photo

Life has gotten in the way of modeling but, today, some progress in the P-51A F-6 build. I used a combination of three Tamiya grays. Going from a flat/NATO black to Tamiya XF-82, to XF-83 and ending at XF-80 being the lightest. To paint the gray underside. More study will be needed to get things right from the photographs but, where moving forward on this build.

2 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo

Looking really nice from here, my friend @stephen-w-towle!
    Hope life's interference was not a sever one.
    Looking forward to your progress!

• Profile Photo

Things were caught early and its a hiccup in life. Spiros, your builds and comments always brighten my day.

• Profile Photo

Very nice painting result, Stephen @stephen-w-towle
    Unfortunately life is not always predictable, I do hope you can tackle those hiccpus relatively easy.

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 1 year ago:

Weathering applied. All that remains are some small pieces. The landing light glass does however not fit perfectly, a bit of grinding needs to be done. At the end the paper fuel tanks will be mounted. George @gblair, did add some piping to his fuel tanks and this is something I want to do as well.

• Profile Photo
    George R Blair Jr said 1 year ago:

Looks awesome, John (@johnb). I had never noticed the piping from the external drop tanks to the wing, but once you realize it is there, you see it in every photo of P-51s with wing tanks. The piping will look great on your model, and it is easy to do.

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 1 year ago:

Looks wonderful, my friend @johnb! Looking forward to see the piping applied to the wing tanks!