P51 times two. FINISHED.

Started by Erik Gjørup · 112 · 1 year ago · airbum, Eduard, Haldværk, ICM, Mustang, mustang mk iii, P51, p51c, p51d, RAF, Revell, USAF
  • Profile Photo
    Erik Gjørup said 4 years, 1 month ago:

Two P-51’s does not make a twinmustang

Many moons ago, I started a P51

The chosen kit was a P51 C Mustang Mk III from Revell, and was more or less the result of seeing the very nice models fellow imodeler Klavs had built. It turned out to be a bad choice as it was a reboxed ICM that lacked the quality they make today. I gave up.

Fast forward – I had turned my attention on 109’s, as you might know, inspired by she who must be obeyed. And as she gave me a very nice airbrush, I had to give something in return – that was the 109 of Marseilles described elsewhere. Some time has passed, and eduard has launched their P51, and seeing WD-A in the recent chattanoga choo choo limited edition boxing, she told me that was the plane she had flown in flightsim, but in a different scheme.

The search went on, and I found a set of AM decals close enough to “her” plane. And with the kit and decals in hand, I have started a build, but decided to give the P51C a go as well, hence the two mustangs.

Both of them together.

The eduard offering is a lot better – and some 19 years younger by design.

And with photoetch and all it is to be a walk in the park – right?

The Revell/ICM has now been assembled – not that many worries, as a few more models has gone through my hands.

The IP is made of a clear piece of styrene – it was brushed Tamiya matt black acrylic all over, and when dry the dials were scrabed free from paint with a cocktail stick, giving some impression of depth! It will be built with closed hood, so details are kept basic and OOB.

As I had to stay home sick for some time things moved faster than my camera could catch up, and so these are the pictures of the process so far. Now it is my turn to work as we strive to serve passing planes at “my” airport, so it may be a while before next progress on this topic.

I will search other in-progress topics of these to catch up, but feel free to comment and/or let me have your experience with these two kits

• Profile Photo
    Andrew H said 4 years, 1 month ago:

Awesome Erik! I love following your 109s in the shadows.. looking forward to see your mustangs.

I recently gave up on and ICM P-51C, not for lack of trying or serious blunder, but because foolish me thought that one of the box schemes would be a good idea... While not thinking about how this was one of ICMs first Mustangs.. decals were a solid No-go... Not a horrible kit considering it's basically a hybrid of Tamiya and Accurate Miniatures parts.. good luck!

• Profile Photo
    Klavs Nielsen said 4 years, 1 month ago:

I am looking forward to follow your “twinmustang” project Erik and to hear your experience with Eduards P51. Enjoy...

• Profile Photo
    Erik Gjørup said 4 years ago:

@pb_legend thank for the words - hopefully revells decals will work (they usually do)
    @klavs1972 velkommen ombord!

short update in a minute

• Profile Photo

Well – Wheel Well that is

Short update this time as the multipart wheel well on the eduard kit is tackled

Initial testfit showed some trouble ahead!

Rather loose and in need of clamping.

Some tape took care of that, and it really helped to get the loft installed!

A lot less sweaty than anticipated.

After a few minutes attention turned to the many ribs.

And with that set aside to cure, it’s back to the Revell/ICM kit

Next some work on the ICM/Revell P51

• Profile Photo
    Walt said 4 years ago:

I am with you I like the "Fastback" better than the Bubble Canopy Mustangs. I have the Accurate Miniatures kit of the Mustang so I will be following this to see what you do with your two planes. I was unaware that Eduard had even made one.

• Profile Photo

@luftwaffe-birdman - thank you for following along here. The eduard kit is very recent, and has all the signs of them flooding the market like they do with the 109's - and that is positive meant.

Another post following here soon.

• Profile Photo

Speeding?

Fasttrac here at Haldværk / HalfWorks today

I had the chance to do some more today, and actually get something done on the ICM/Revell Mustang

The wings had been glued the other day, with minor trouble, but got it where it needs to be.

There are gaps on both sides

But filler will take care of that I think – it got some extra Revell Contacta during assembly, helping to make a base for the filler.

The very basic cockpit looks OK I think

The IP was clear, painted with acrylic, and then the dials were freed with a cocktailstick.

The tail went on – it had a LOUSY fit, the tabs being 1mm too far forward on one side, and on the other side the hole was more or less closed – should have checked before assembly I guess.

And I glued the spinner halfs together – the blades have positive locating tabs and will just need some fettling to get into the correct position, and suddenly it became a lot easier to paint the parts I think. The blades are not too nice, and I will have to check and file them into correct shape. (The eduard kit has three different props, but will need the sleeved one for itself)

next up I think I will need to get some work on the eduard kit – stay tuned

• Profile Photo
    Louis Gardner said 4 years ago:

Erik,
    Somehow I must have missed this one ! I’m slipping in my duties. This is a great subject and you can sign me up for watching it come to life... Subscribed. Count me in.

• Profile Photo
    George R Blair Jr said 4 years ago:

Looks great, Erik. I can't believe you are building something that doesn't have a mottled paint scheme. You have gone rogue on us. Next you will probably build a jet.

• Profile Photo

@lgardner welcome aboard!
    @gblair - I am terribly sorry. It won't happen again - no wait, maybe. Perhaps. a jet. didn't Messerschmitt make a mottled jet. . . 🙂

Thanks for the kind words gents - appreciated!

• Profile Photo
    Louis Gardner said 4 years ago:

I can see you building that shark looking mottled twin engine jet... : ) or even that funny little tailless rocket powered interceptor, also built by Willy.

• Profile Photo
    Erik Gjørup said 3 years, 11 months ago:

@lgardner just learned today that Gaspatch is just about almost close to nearing the launch of a 163 in 1/48. They "only" have produced two other types so far, but each in three versions, and the sprues are just amazing - one day. . . . (two in the stash and just ordered two more today). So there you have it - i've confessed to thinking of other planes than 109's - but still categorised as a 109aholic!

• Profile Photo

Eduard flash its lights and ICM closed up

The eduard kit got some lights and the ICM/Revell got its greenhouse installed

Usually I brag about my nav-lights on 109’s, but this time eduard has made some nice signal-lights for the P51. First up some glossy alu here at HalfWorks;

And with that done, the gear bay is installed.

General view of the wing

I have to say I’m happy with those signal-lamps

Over on the Revell-line things has moved to sanding, installing glass and radiatorin/outlets

And with that, it is ready for masking

Lets just have a general view of the eduard assembly line too:

And that is all for now

Do feel free to comment – I suppose it’ll be masked/primed next for the ICM/Revell and the eduard may be closed up. Time will tell – stay tuned!

• Profile Photo

Stay sharp!

A small tip, and some masking

The tip is the tip of the blade actually. In woodworking you sharpen your tools all the time. Modeling? Frequent change of blades? Well, I find that even the hardened edge/point of a no 1 can be re-sharpened sufficiently to cut perfect masks.

You use a sanding stick to take some material off.

Then you use a polisher to finish it.

And with that done, you are ready to cut masks!

This time it is the ICM/Revell Mustang that gets masked.

Just a few pictures – I brushed Humbrol 120 after taking the pictures – I will probably just take a shot of the primed plane, who knows?

next up the eduard gets some TLC