RACE 45 conversion

Started by Jim Harley · 67 · 3 years ago
  • Profile Photo
    Jim Harley said 3 years, 6 months ago:

The TF went pretty well...my donor model still has some life to give so I thought I’d try an Anson Johnson mod. The wings are just about done.

4 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 3 years, 6 months ago:

Good luck on your conversion, Jim.
    Fitting of those inlets look great.

• Profile Photo
    Erik Gjørup said 3 years, 6 months ago:

What a great idea! Do sign me up to follow this conversion.

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 3 years, 6 months ago:

A fantastic idea of a conversion, indeed, Jim!
    I love your approach of bringing up the donor kit.
    Please, sign me in, as well!

• Profile Photo
    George R Blair Jr said 3 years, 6 months ago:

Wings look great, Jim (@jimh). Looking forward to seeing the rest of the conversion.

• Profile Photo
    Jim Harley said 3 years, 6 months ago:

Thanks for all the enthusiasm! Here are some shots of the wing. The wingtips are still need primed and polished to make the molds but the rest of the bits are ready. Each part is made to fit within existing panel lines. The exception is the right gun bay extension for the oil cooler door. I’m using photos from the restoration since no accurate 3 views seem to exist. Mk 1 eyeball 🙂

3 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 3 years, 6 months ago:

Looking nice!

• Profile Photo
    Louis Gardner said 3 years, 5 months ago:

Hey Jim, @jimh
    Man oh man ! Those resin parts you made for the TF-51 look really good. I have tried several time to cast some resin parts, and each time was a total failure...

The parts look awesome for the conversion. Sign me up too as watching this one. 🙂

Seeing the yellow Mustang now has me itching to build a model of Bob Hoover's plane... Somewhere in our family albums I have some nice pictures of him and his yellow Rockwell Mustang, back when he flew the same routine in the Mustang AND then again in his Aero Commander. He was some pilot... and is sadly missed.

• Profile Photo
    Jim Harley said 3 years, 5 months ago:

Progress continues. In looking at photos of the restoration of 45 at NEAM, the engine mount and cowling fastener pieces were pretty crudely modified. I carefully cut the lower cowlings off the donor fuselage and started "shrinking" them to the center line profile taken from a profile photo of the nose. The bottom of the fuselage is shaping up. It's a straight forward mod, cutting a straight line from the front of the tailwheel opening to the bottom of the wing fillet. The forward part of the bottom still needs shaped to fit against the fuel tank stress panels. The wing is done, disassembled and molds poured. There will be new wingtips, the two leading edge inlets, the fuel bay exit ducts, and the 3 duct doors. The radio gear was removed from the top of the fuel tank but the mounts are still there. These will be made and molded as well. the beat goes on!

7 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Louis Gardner said 3 years, 5 months ago:

The nose mods look to be spot on, especially when you compare it to the photo in the background... I'm sure the rest of the work will be just as meticulous and correct. Are you using wood to make the pattern for the rear lower fuselage ?

This conversion is looking GOOD !

• Profile Photo

Thanks Louis! Yep, good ole bass wood. It’s a mix of Bass, plastic card, and magic sculpt. The final filling is done with Tamiya filler and primer. Someday I’ll figure out 3D printing 🙂 Black Magik Resin will become Black Magik Printing 🙂

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 3 years, 5 months ago:

This is such meticulous job, Jim @jimh!
    I love your rear lower fuselage work.
    That nose profile looks spot on, as well.
    Well done, really impressive!

• Profile Photo
    Erik Gjørup said 3 years, 5 months ago:

Jim, (@jimh), it is a delight to follow this conversion. By all means stick to it and let us enjoy the fine workmanship involved in thi conversion. I think 3D will be really expensive if you want something that equals your skills. Very nice work.

• Profile Photo
    George R Blair Jr said 3 years, 5 months ago:

Wow, your resin work is terrific, Jim (@jimh). After all the work to make the molds, hopefully you plan to do several more conversions.

• Profile Photo

Thank you guys so much for the kind words! I’m really hooked on doing these conversions. I’ve got several planned. Betty Jane as she is now, Stars Look Down when Ike flew in her, and the 4th FG B model that was converted to 2 seats. Beyond that, Dago Red, and Stiletto. When I started fooling around with making master patterns I started a 1/32” scale Cosmic Wind. I’ve learned a long since starting that project, so when I pick it back up there will be some improvements. What I really need to do is take the time to learn 3D printing for prototyping. Cast the resin is really straight forward as long as the master is properly prepared. The photo below pictures the new wing parts that are currently curing in silicon. I’ll cast them just as they came out of the wing. Once they cure I’ll clean them up, double check the fit and make master molds for the finished product. The sky is literally the limit!

Jim

1 attached image. Click to enlarge.