RACE 45 conversion

Started by Jim Harley · 67 · 3 years ago
  • Profile Photo
    Jim Harley said 3 years, 5 months ago:

Lots of progress. Being a prototype and changing my mind on a few things left some gaps. Instead of my favorite Tamiya putty I'm trying Magic Sculpt...which takes forever to cure. Should be ready for paint tomorrow. Everything fits 🙂

9 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 3 years, 5 months ago:

What a progress, Jim @jimh!
    I guess Magic Sculpt adheres better onto your custom made parts?

• Profile Photo

It’s an amazing product. I like it 1000 times better than Tamiya putty. Once you apply it you can work it with water and sculpting tools to the point of final contouring. It dries rock hard and makes rescribing a breeze. It also wet sands beautifully and can be polished to match the initial plastic finish. The working time is about 2 1/2 to 3 hours depending on how much water you use for sculpting. Lol I sound like a sales rep, but I love it.

• Profile Photo

They yellow monster...not quite where I wanted it this weekend but it’s close. Couple more coats and wet sanding it’ll be ready for final assembly.

9 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Erik Gjørup said 3 years, 5 months ago:

That is one yellow update! Very nice here as it approaches the finish line - I like it a lot Jim! (and thanks for the sales talk - I really have to find me some Magic now @jimh)

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 3 years, 5 months ago:

Looks like a beautfiful yellow racer is approaching the finish line, Jim.
    Your progress is great.

• Profile Photo

Wonderful progress, Jim @jimh.
    Count me in too for getting Magic Sculpt!

• Profile Photo

She’s coming along guys! All the paint work is done, decals should be here this week. Those should really make it pop.

4 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Erik Gjørup said 3 years, 5 months ago:

Cool!

• Profile Photo

It pops already, Jim @jimh!

• Profile Photo
    Louis Gardner said 3 years, 5 months ago:

Jim, @jimh
    That yellow sure does "Pop" ! It's always a good sign when your build can stand on it's own feet. I have never tried Magic Sculpt before, but it looks like I might be now... Your resin parts look as if they fit very nicely into the Tamiya kit. You're a Mustang building machine !

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 3 years, 5 months ago:

It sure looks great, Jim.
    Tweety will be jealous.

• Profile Photo
    Jim Harley said 3 years, 4 months ago:

Time to bring it life!

1 attached image. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Louis Gardner said 3 years, 4 months ago:

Looks great Jim !
    I have a set of decals for a blue P-51B (or a recon F-6 not sure) that was sponsored by Jimmy Stewart and the plane was called Thunderbird. I have never used this type of “silk” decal before and I’m curious to see how you use them. Mine are also made by Draw Decals and I’m looking into getting a set for Bob Hoover’s Rockwell plane. Before I pull the trigger on another set, I want to see if they’re a PITA to use or not before I make the purchase.

If you don’t mind and it’s not too hard, could you please post up a little “how to” posting on your Race 45 journal ?

Thanks in advance and Merry Christmas to you and your family. Stay safe buddy.

• Profile Photo
    Jim Harley said 3 years, 4 months ago:

Sure Louis! This is the 3rd model I’ve used Draw Decals, Toulouse, Crazy Horse and now 45. They take a bit of getting used to but they are great. The decals have to be cut individually as the transfer film is continuous. His instruction sheet says you don’t need decal softener as the painted surface isn’t affected by the solvents. The clear transfer film is however melted in to the model a bit better with Micro Sol. They need no more than 5 seconds in the water and it’s best to get them on exactly where you want them on the first shot. They will float with an application of water if they are misplaced. I’ve found they don’t conform to hard corners well but that’s probably my lack of technique. I never get them on right off the slider paper. I have both sets of his Hoover decals, which will go on to Eduard kits...looking forward to those!

6 attached images. Click to enlarge.