Rainy weekend, good for beating on the Kingfisher

Started by Ralph Clements · 6 · 9 years ago
  • Profile Photo
    Ralph Clements said 9 years, 8 months ago:

A pic from yesterday showing the tabs I made from a plastic cup to give the cowl something to glue to...

• a pic from earlier today showing the decal for the left wing, dissected from a left over set from my Wildcat - the white stripes cam from the P-47 kit

-several pics from this evening after putting some pastel weathering - I figured I'd better get some photos at this stage since it may go downhill from here. I need a way to seal that pastel on it, by spray I guess. I know brushing Future on it at this stage will cause the pastel to turn to mud.
    Still working on the underwing insignia. I have a blue circle/white star, will have to paint the blue bars outline, but am giving that decal plenty of time to set before getting near it with paint or masking tape.

4 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    AL HOFFMAN said 9 years, 8 months ago:

Looks like you've got yourself something here. I agree about the Future but whatever you spray probably needs to be acrylic or the canopies could craze.

• Profile Photo

The canopies are already pretty messed up, they look like they have a lot of seagull poop on them.

• Profile Photo

masked insignia for lower wing. I couldn't find one with bars in my pile of leftover decals, so I made them myself

1 attached image. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Rick Wilkes said 9 years, 8 months ago:

Ralph, try MISTING on your favorite brand of flat finish over the pastels. The idea is not to get them "wet" just get them fixed to the surface. Build up slowly till you have them sealed. They should stay put without to much loss of color. If you have some Mig/Ak/Ammo fixer for their wx powders those works even better.

• Profile Photo

thanks for the tip Rick. Whatever I choose will be applied with a light touch. since all my stuff like that is done outdoors with a spray can, i will be waiting for this multi-day rain deluge to pass before trying anything.