Revell P-40B "Flying Tigers" 1/48 scale

Started by John Truby · 11 · 2 months ago · 1/48, Flying Tigers, Revell
  • Profile Photo
    John Truby said 4 months, 3 weeks ago:

Just started on this kit a few days ago. The parts seen here are painted Interior Green. Not much else to report. More to come.

5 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 4 months, 3 weeks ago:

A beautiful entry and a great start, John @jdtruby

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 4 months, 3 weeks ago:

Excellent entry and ditto progress, my friend @jdtruby! Looking forward to your next steps!

• Profile Photo
    John Truby said 3 months ago:

Here are a few more pictures of my recent progress. As you can see, this kit is turning out to be a real Putty Fest and I haven't even started on the wing roots yet. Speaking of the wing roots, I estimate a 1/32" gap that's going to need filling. I'll start with some thin strip styrene followed by Tamiya white putty. Wish me luck. Till next time.

6 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 3 months ago:

Excellent job so far, my friend @jdtruby!

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 3 months ago:

That is some serious puttying and sanding,John @jdtruby

• Profile Photo
    George R Blair Jr said 3 months ago:

I think all the extra work will be worth it, John @jdtruby. This is one of those really old Monogram/Revel kits that will still build into a great model.

• Profile Photo
    Seamus Boughe said 2 months, 2 weeks ago:

Here is the problem. You purchased a Revell rebox of the Monogram kit. The molds for this kit date back to the 1960s and they are completely shot. What's more is these are manufactured in China where they are using an inferior plastic. So it is no surprise that this kit is a putty fest. I am currently working on this kit. However, mine is an original "Blue Box" edition made in Morton Grove. So far, the fit, while not Tamiya like, is still pretty spot on. The plastic is quite robust also. Next time around I would suggest you find an original Monogram "Blue Box" or "White Box" edition. That being said, stick with what you have and carry on. Despite all the work you may have to put into it, it should turn out fine.

• Profile Photo
    Clint Miller said 2 months, 1 week ago:

Hay John, your P-40 is looking good so far. Keep it up. This kit was never super good, but it's overall shape is correct, more correct than some newer offerings. With a little patience and care it can definitely be built into a nice model. My Desert Air Force P-40C posted a wile back was this exact kit. Just a heads up though, keep an eye on the wing dihedral. You see a lot of these kits finished and the wings are flat and in some cases I've seen some with the wings drooping out at the wingtips. From the front they should almost look like the V on the hood of a '57 Chevy, for lack of a better example. I can't wait to see how she turns out.

• Profile Photo
    John Truby said 2 months ago:

Thank you for this valuable information which I did not know.

• Profile Photo
    John Truby said 2 months ago:

Thanks for your comment, Clint. Right now, I'm taking a break from this P-40B kit and focusing on something else, but it will get completed. It's just a matter of time.