SAAB Draken 1/48 Hasegawa

Started by Colin Gomez · 7 · 3 years ago · Draken details
  • Profile Photo
    Colin Gomez said 3 years, 11 months ago:

Hi guys,

I thought I would try a new group since I have several projects ongoing and need some inspiration. This is my Saab Draken in 1/48th. I have added most of an Aires detail set and done some scratch building in the cockpit to fit it and blend it in. I will be adding more and finishing the gun sight when I add the clear parts. The seat is just placed inside for viewing purposes and not glued yet (it needs some brushwork touch-ups on the harness, etc.) Regarding the exterior work, I am quite proud of successfully cutting out and refitting the elevons. Originally, I was just going to do the elevon slabs closest to the fuselage but on checking photos I realized all four sections hang down together when the Draken is parked. That required a heck of a lot more work but I got through it. Also, I think the perforated structure where the elevon meets the fuselage came out decently. It also required a lot of careful carving, drilling, filing and sanding of styrene to get right. The fit of whole assembly is good as proven by the fact that they are just dry fitted now with no glue. I like to be able to do this so I can see that everything will line up before final assembly.

8 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Erik Gjørup said 3 years, 11 months ago:

Is it the Scandinavian edition? If I may, the Danish version is cool (and easy to paint) - plus I grew up with these flying all over the place, and met a few in the air when I got my private license. Needless to say, it is in my stash, and I will follow your build with interest.

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 3 years, 11 months ago:

This is looking great already, Colin @coling. It is in my wish list.
    I liked what you did with the elevons. They are kept horizontal with the hyd pressure when the engine is operating, resting down upon engine shutdown. As happens with the Mirage 2000.
    Following with joy!

• Profile Photo
    Morne Meyer said 3 years, 11 months ago:

Having built this kit and using the Aires detail set, I can assure you that your Draken is going to look awesome. Good luck. I will follow this build for sure!

• Profile Photo
    George R Blair Jr said 3 years, 11 months ago:

Looks great, Colin. Cutting out the elevons was probably a lot of work, but it looks like it was worth it. I have always avoided this plane because of the masking involved in the camo, but Erik has reminded me that there is a less stressful camo available. Looking forward to seeing the rest of the build.

• Profile Photo
    Colin Gomez said 3 years, 11 months ago:

Thanks for your response Erik, Spiros, Morne and George! Great to be embarking on another group build effort. In answer to your question, Erik, this kit I have is the Swedish Air Force version. I plan to do a well worn three color camo for this one as a Swedish Draken. I have a Two Bobs decal set for the F10 Wing in Angelholm. I really like the yellow swordfish emblem on the wings over the camouflage scheme. I am wavering a bit, though as I also like the big number versions of operational types. For a regular service version, I have the kit decals. I'm not sure of their quality.

I may well do a Danish Draken or a Finnish one with a second kit I have in my stash. I have always liked the dramatically weathered pain on well used Danish Drakens and it would be quite a painting challenge. On the other hand, I am also keen on the Finnish version. I don't have decals for either yet, though, so we will see.

I really appreciate everyone's kind comments on the build so far. The modifications were a bit nerve wracking to do as I find hacking off bits of models can lead to loss of detail. Luckily, no problem here as Hasegawa's plastic was soft and thin. No need for a razor saw. I did have to build up some sections again with sheet styrene but it all worked out.

• Profile Photo
    Erik Gjørup said 3 years, 11 months ago:

@coling, I agree - the swedish version is really cool, and I shall be looking forward to seeing yours done! I just had the same kit in a special box that includes RDAF markings, but for your second kit there will be lots of interesting colors to add. Of course the heavily weathered early danish versions with loads of interesting graffiti are treats for those able to master such paintjobs. Should you need some scans of RDAF drakens please feel free to send me a PM and I shall do my best to scan some items from my library. Thank you for sharing the progress with the modifications and all!