Six Day War - 'En brera'

Started by JOHN MCHUGH · 7 · 2 years ago
  • Profile Photo
    JOHN MCHUGH said 2 years, 9 months ago:

I have not touched an airbrush or tube of glue for 40+ years. But I'm thinking about it...

Five years ago, as the 50th anniversary of Israel’s epic 1967 Six Day War approached and new books were appearing, I became an enthusiast and haven’t stopped.

So I’ve been thinking about rebuilding the 1967 IAF on a shelf in my den. Specifically, an airfield scene from a particular moment - 7:00 a.m. on June 5, 1967 - feauring a lineup of the main types used in the stunning surprise attack that hit every Egyptian air base at exactly 7:45 a.m.

The Mirage III was the star of course but also Mysteres, Super Mysteres, Ouragons and last but not least, Fouga Magisters!

Somewhat anachonistic to have singletons of all the types in one place, but some poetic/artistic license is permitted, nay?

The watchword at that moment was "En Brera" – No Alternative – and the surprise air attack was among the most daring, thrilling and world-changing in history. When Mirages in the first wave rolled-in at 7:44 a.m conditions were CAVU and clear horizons all around. When they soared away after dropping two 500kg runway-busters each followed by three (or more) strafing runs (30mm DEFAs) - no need to remain under the radar now – the horizon for hundreds of miles in every direction was marred by smoke columns - funeral pyres for hundreds Egyptian MiG 17s, 19s and supersonic 21s.

Challenges: Those French types are not exactly found in the model section of the WalMart toy departments (eBay seems to have them though). Also, my space is limited meaning a strong preference for 1/72.

Thanks,
    JPM, Michigan

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 2 years, 9 months ago:

Welcome John @jpmchugh
    That is a real interesting topic you have in mind.
    It would be great to see all those builds together.
    For sure that after finishing these builds, your airbrush skills will be back from a 40+ year pause.
    Looking forward to it.

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 2 years, 9 months ago:

This is a wonderful entry John @jpmchugh! What an interesting subject!

The Mirage IIIs in Israeli markings are so cool! That same has to be said for all subjects that participated in this war. I do have an 1/48 Eduard Mirage III unbuilt kit with Israeli markings: for sure, your thread will be a great motivator to start it.

1/72 is a great scale. Going for it is a good move, since in 1/48 you'll need a lot more space for all your subjects.

Looking forward to your kit choices and your builds!

Welcome aboard!

• Profile Photo

Thanks guys for the encouragement! It will be some months yet before I can start - the more time to think about fine details.

• Profile Photo

PS. The Fougas may not have been in on that opening attack, but were very active a couple-few days later against Jordanian targets, flown by old-bull El Al airline pilots and kids practically just out of flight school! I'll find a place for one. 🙂
    (Source: The Lion's Gate, Steven Pressman, 2014.)

1 attached image. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 2 years, 9 months ago:

The Fougas will fit nicely here, John @jpmchugh.

• Profile Photo
    George R Blair Jr said 2 years, 9 months ago:

I agree with the others that this will be a fun thread, John (@jpmchugh). I think all the planes you are looking for are available in 1/72 scale. They might be harder to find in 1/48.