So, let’s reduce the stash and start on the Airfix 1/72nd Fairey Battle

Started by John Jones · 11 · 9 years ago
  • Profile Photo
    John Jones said 9 years, 8 months ago:

I assembled the Battle way back when it was in Series 2 (it's now series 3). It had Belgian airforce transfers as an alternative to RAF markings which were of an aircraft that attacked some bridges Holland, Maastrict I think. There were severe losses, and I'm inclined to think that a VC was awarded? The RAF had a good number of Battles that went to war in France as part of the Advance Air Striking Force. But the aircraft was in no way capable of fighting the Luftwaffe anywhere close to effectively. Which ended resulted in the type and its crews sufferring very heavy losses.

Todays kit features a Greek aircraft and an aircraft from 63 Sqn RAF in the sand, spinnach and black that typified bombers right through the war. But I think the markings just predate the oubreak of war and feature white serial numbers below the wings and as part of the upper wing roundels which are also outlined in yellow.

I am a great fan of the revised colour guides, often in colour. But this artwork can be more faithful to the subject that the (older) models themselves! But - let's keep this in perspective. Modern kits are more challenging to build than models of the age of the Battle. And this is why Airfix ought to be commended for sticking with a goodly selection of older, simplier models in their catalogue.

It's nice to have a 'whistle and bells' modern kit, but children/new entrants to the hobby may well be put off by such complexity. As in everything there's a balance. The model should fix together reasonably easily - there are some ill-fitting older ones around.

The Battle is nice and simple, looks like the aircraft it represents, and hopefully 'fixes up' reasonably well. OK, so there may be some effort involved - perhaps sanding down a piece to encourage it to fit, which introduces the younger/less experienced kit builder to the need to use some means or other to get the parts to fit! And whilst I am aware that the model is not 'accurate' etc etc, it's near enough, at least as a start. And that's good enough.

Anyway, I've got the glue(s), paints, knives, wet 'n' dry and a place where battle can commence (pun intended).

I'll report back as I progress.

I intend to use the humbrol 29 Dark Earth and 163 Dark Green as principal colours. These are suggested out in the painting guide. Whatever happened to Humbrol 30?

• Profile Photo
    Bernard E. Hackett, Jr. said 9 years, 8 months ago:

John:

30  is still available out there. I hear that folks believe 163 is more representative (whatever that means these days) of WW II RAF dark green. De gustibus non est disputandum, as brother Seamus(hope I got the attribution right, if not mea culpa) remarked a' propos the mature lady and the cow.

I'm sure you've heard (or will) about the shape issues with the wing and the nose. The multiple bomb bay doors underwing are not easy to get right, either, open or closed. 

Up to you, I'd say just go for it, make the nitpickers crazy.

Only one generally available, I think there is a recent short run pair of some sort, one of which is a target tower, but probably with fit issues of its own, plus more $$$.

Plus, I'm into RIVETS! Thats how God intended airplanes (and models) to be! Recessed panel lines, fah! Takes off unsightly moles, too.

I'm rootin' for you!
  • Profile Photo
    Gregor d said 9 years, 8 months ago:

A brave man indeed. The Battle is a real Airfix oldie, and there is a corrected resin nose out there if you fancy some surgery πŸ™‚ . I look forward to seeing your progress John.

• Profile Photo
    Simon Whitney said 9 years, 8 months ago:

Go for it John, I was after the V.C. set that Airfix produced for the G.B but were sold out.
    So you are right, there was a V.C. awarded to the pilot I think.
    Looking forward to seeing the build.

• Profile Photo

per Wikipedia http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fairey_Battle

On 12 May 1940, five Battles of 12 Squadron RAF attacked bridges over the Albert Canal on the River Meuse. Four were destroyed, the fith crash-landing back at base. Two Victoria Crosses were posthumously awarded for the action, to Flying Officer Garland and air observer/navigator Sergeant Gray of Battle P2204 coded PH-K: "for pressing home the attack in spite of the heavy defensive fire". The third crewmember, rear gunner Leading Aircraftsman Lawrence Reynolds, did not share the award. Both fighters and flak proved lethal for the Battles. Although Garland's Battle destroyed one span of the bridge, the German army quickly erected a pontoon bridge to replace it.

It's difficult to come to a view on the lack of an award to Reynolds as he too lost his life. But I suppose he wouldn't have had any direct responsibility for the action of the pilot.as he was probably not a direct/indirect participant of the fatal action.

• Profile Photo

it's going to be a straight from the box build

the nose is wrong as, I think I read somewhere, the kit was designed using prototype drawings

i'll cast around for the replacement bits to see what's out there though

I can recall that the airfix Defiant is similarly cursed and recall substituting the kit nose for a replacement when I was confidently competant and there was no substitute kit (as there is now)!

• Profile Photo

i've not yet decided whether to leave the rivets or sand them off

i suspect there'll be some filing and sanding so...

• Profile Photo
    Rick Wilkes said 9 years, 8 months ago:

Welcome aboard John. I'm working on the Airfix 1/48 Stuka for the this group build. I decided to retain the raised panel lines and rivet detail repairing as needed. I've been using Archers Fine Details resin rivet decals to replace what I sanded off. Granted I probably have an advantage working in 1/48 but I wouldn't doubt that the Airfix riveter didn't vary the size that much, so those might be a possible solution.
    Looking forward to following your progress.

• Profile Photo

Have tracked down the replacement [resin] nose, and have ordered one. This will put a bit of a break on, but there's still other things that can be done...

i never bothered with 'moveable' parts like turrets, ailerons, elevators and rudders when I was a lad. Too hard. The kit features moveable ailerons, but I've fixed these and filled in the huge gaps that are a consequence of such features. They'll need to be rescribed, which'll be a first for me!

As an observation, the painting guides on this and other airfix new issues/reissues feature diagrams that appear more representative of the real aircraft than the kit! The guide for the Battle shows the 'correct' nose profile as well as an 'accurate' portrayal of the canopy. Is this a good or bad thing? Good if accurate, bad if otherwise!

• Profile Photo
    Bernard E. Hackett, Jr. said 9 years, 8 months ago:

Hi. John:

Help  a Yank out, who makes the replacement nose for this?

I've got two in the stash, and (since the nose is supposedly for the Belgian version) probably ought to get some while they're still available? 

Sometimes I'm just a tad slow off the mark...

TIA,
  • Profile Photo
    John Jones said 9 years, 7 months ago:

there's always something else...

the battle now sits, mainframe assembled, nose 'corrected' and covered in filler upside down in the box lid

it'll get the wet 'n' dry treatment before next weekend

the tailplanes needed some prompting to align at other than 90 degrees to the fuselage!

fit of bits, few as they were, was 'sound'