Special Hobby 1/48 Martin Model 167F-A.3 (Martin Maryland)

Started by George R Blair Jr · 97 · 3 years ago · 1/48, Martin 167, Martin Maryland, Special Hobby
  • Profile Photo
    George R Blair Jr said 3 years, 8 months ago:

Thanks for the idea, Spiros (@fiveten). The canopy is thin and bends easily. I wonder if putting it in hot water and then bending it might be more gentle than using a hair drier? Hopefully the last round of sanding will happen today, followed by the addition of the wings. Despite my previous history with this kit, the dry fit of the wings looks good.

I quit taking models to our local IPMS contests because I got tired of "rivet counters" who really took the fun out of building. My model-building became much more fun and stress-free when I decided to quit building for others and build just for myself.

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 3 years, 8 months ago:

Hot water might be a good idea, George @gblair; I just fear hot water might be too mild for clear styrene. Whatever your decision, Just make sure the styrene will feel "pliable", to reassure you will not crack it by the required bending (mine felt like this at a point during the hairdrying session, but also horror conquerred me, as I was expecting the whole canopy deform by heat at any time...).

I too am no IPMS contest guy, but I love bringing a random model at my little hometown exhibitions, which are very rare. I too like the fun of model building! I don't find any fun in rivet counting (lol)!

Good luck with your transparencies!

• Profile Photo

Thanks, Spiros (@fiveten). I am definitely approaching this with caution. There are a lot of parts on a build you can break and repair, or even scratchbuild to replace, but a canopy isn't one of them. I won't be ready for the canopy for a couple of days.

• Profile Photo
    Jeremy Millan said 3 years, 8 months ago:

The interior is looking good George. Very detailed!

• Profile Photo

Thanks, Jeremy (@jmillan). I still have a bunch to do in the bombardier's section, but I think the pilot's section is OK.

• Profile Photo

Just finished the third round of fill and sand. I used Tamiya Gray Putty for the first, then sanding using four different grits. The next two rounds used Tamiya Fine White Putty, followed by the same sanding.

When things felt smooth, I applied some Tamiya Fine Gray Primer from a spray can to the seams. Even though there are a couple of areas that need a little more work, I am fairly pleased with the fuselage. I will take care of the problem areas, followed by a light sanding overall with fine sandpaper to even out the primer and its edges.

Now, on to the wings. Once I complete the filler and sand routine on the wings and tail surfaces, I will try to restore some of the panel lines on all of them. It is starting to look like an airplane, and the parts still on the sprues are almost gone, so maybe there is hope.

• Profile Photo

That's a great smoothing job, George @gbalir. With your small rework near the fin base it will be perfect, both top and underfuselage.

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 3 years, 8 months ago:

Very smooth, George.
    Compliments on the job you are doing here.

• Profile Photo

Thanks John (@JohnB) and Spiros (fiveten).

Today was one of those days that you take one step forward, and two steps back. Except I took about 56 steps back.

First thing I did today was do the final work on the filler and sanding, then I reconstructed the panel lines lost to sanding. The next part was to construct the cowlings, whose multipart construction I thought would give me trouble. It turns out the pieces all went together nicely. The only problem I had was I assumed (you know what they say about assuming) both cowlings were the same, but it turns out that there were some subtle differences between the port and starboard cowlings. Unfortunately I had already separated them from their sprues, so I have no idea which cowling was which. Well, that can be a problem for another day.

After that, I bundled all my courage and added the starboard wing. This was the wing that seemed to fit best. My plan was to get this wing set, and then make the other wing's dihedral match. I expected a lot of problems here, but it seemed to work fine. I have the wings blocked into position and I will let them dry overnight.

I wanted to start work on the resin engines, which are very detailed and appear to be a complex build. The engine consists of the central crankcase of the engine, to which you attach all of the individual cylinders. The cylinders are very detailed, but each requires a ton of cleanup. After seeing how long it would take to clean one cylinder, I began to search for something easier. I looked through my box of resin parts and found some engines for a C-47. I discovered that they fit almost exactly into the cowling, and they look exactly like the kit engines. One of these days I will research and find out it the two planes had the same engines, but for now the C-47 engines will save me about 2 hours of cleanup time.

Things were going so well that I thought I might take a shot at adjusting the fit of my bombardier's canopy that is too wide. My plan was to use some boiling water to soften the clear plastic and then use a clamp to hold the canopy in position until it cooled. In my mind I figured it would take 20 or 30 seconds in the water to soften the plastic, but I wanted to be careful, so I decided to start with 10 seconds and see what happened. So, I held the canopy in the boiling water for 10 seconds using some long tongs, and then I pulled it out of the water, and ...disaster. My canopy had shriveled up like a raisin. The canopies were the parts that I figured I couldn't fix if I messed them up, and I messed one of them up. Hindsight is always 20/20, and I suspect that the plastic used in limited run kits is probably a low temp plastic. I knew the plastic was thin and flexible, which should have led me to be more cautious. My plan is to keep moving forward with the build while I try to source a replacement canopy. I have emailed Special Hobby to see if there is any way to get another canopy. This kit is out of production, so I am not too optimistic about getting something from Special Hobby, but stranger things have happened. While I am waiting for a reply, I plan to explore some other options. I really hope I can find a source, because this plane is really looking cool, and I don't want to build the convertible version.

Everyone stay safe.

• Profile Photo

Looks that there were a many remaining stresses in that clear part, waiting to relieve themselves upon hot environment, George @gblair.

Hope Special Hobby can provide you with a spare.

I will try to locate my Fonderie Miniature Maryland to see if an extra vacform clear fret is provided, so I can send it to you. If so, there are chances that it might fit, though they are different kits.

As for the engines, the Maryland had R-1830s, which are the C-47 engines. So, you are spot-on! And looking great!

Your wing attaching method is also my method with short run butt-fit wing kits.

Nice progress so far (apart from the canopy mishap). Today I will invade my SoD to find that Maryland.

• Profile Photo

Sorry to see that happen, George. @gblair
    Unfortuantely I'm not able to help you with a spare one.
    Hopefully SpecialHobby or members reading this article like Spiros are able to provide you one.
    For the engines, these C47 engines look great. Still a bit of luck there.
    As said by Spiros, your progress is great besides the unlucky canopy issue.

• Profile Photo

I think I have found a replacement canopy in Austin, which is about 90 miles from my house. I should know more in a few days. Thanks also to Spiros (@fiveten), who offered a set of vacuform canopies for the Maryland. I have decided to keep moving forward on the build while I am waiting for a resolution on the canopy caper.

Both wings are now solidly on the fuselage and the small gaps were filled with Vallejo acrylic filler. I love this stuff since you simply put it in the void you wish to fill, let it dry for a few minutes, then smooth it with either water or alcohol (I prefer 70% alcohol).

From there I moved on to the horizontal tail surfaces. I was excited by the fact that both the wings and the tail surfaces had tabs to insert into slots in the fuselage rather than a flat butt-joint. After an easy job with the wings, I was surprised to find that the tabs on the tail surfaces wouldn't fit into the slots on the fuselage. Further examination showed that the tab was about 30% too thick to fit into the slot. It took a lot of sanding to finally get the tabs to fit. I wanted to be careful to take an equal amount from the top and bottom of the tab so that I could keep the tail surfaces centered in their final location.

The last thing I tackled was the propellers, which consisted of two pieces each. I think the props are actually backward. The prop has a center hub that has a flat spot on one side where the bullet nose is supposed to be cemented, and a hole on the other side for the shaft that goes into the engine. The problem is that if you build the propeller as instructed, the flat side of the prop blades face forward. I am not an expert on props (I flew jets in the Air Force), but every prop I have ever seen has the curved side of the props face forward. It wasn't hard to fix the props so that the curved side faces forward, but it would be something easy to miss. Hopefully I chose wisely, and the props are now painted and ready to go.

• Profile Photo

That's a great progress George @gblair!
    Good to hear that the canopy mishap is towards a solution.
    About the horizontal tail locating tabs issue, it is not uncommon at such limited run kits. All is needed is a judicious sanding (and time...).
    The props look nice!

• Profile Photo
    Erik Gjørup said 3 years, 8 months ago:

George, it's been a while since I last visited, but what a journal, ups and downs! As for a propeller, the blades are aerofoiled, with the trailing edge being thin and the leading one thick - looks like you nailed it!

• Profile Photo

Fantastic progress, George. @gblair
    Good news about the canopy on the way.
    Let's hope you will finally have some luck here.
    Thanks for the Vallejo filler, I was looking for an alternative of my current filler and this one sounds promising.