Spitfire Vc/Trop in RAAF service. Kovozavody Prostejov

Started by capt. R · 107 · 2 years ago
  • Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 2 years, 10 months ago:

Very nice looking, Lis @lis

• Profile Photo
    capt. R said 2 years, 10 months ago:

thank you @fiveten @johnb What do you think abot plane color? From AML decal set plane is overall natural silver aluminium. Fabric rudders on tail was painted on silver (aluminium dope). Originally was there a color difference between the silver fuselage and the silver-painted rudders? Are different shades needed in the model? the painting scheme is as follows. Of course, this is just a diagram, and it seems to me, looking at the pictures of the machines, the difference in shades is undetectable:
    Silver Spitfire

https://pixels.com/featured/silver-spitfire-supermarine-spitfire.html

1 attached image. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 2 years, 10 months ago:

For me, the shades are almost undetectable, especially in 1/72, @lis.
    Maybe applying some matt varnish over the silver fabric areas at the end, as to provide a different hue?

• Profile Photo
  • Profile Photo

Yes it does, @lis!

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 2 years, 10 months ago:

@lis, I think the proposal of Spiros (@fiveten) will definitely do the trick.

• Profile Photo
    Erik Gjørup said 2 years, 10 months ago:

I am a real novice when it comes to spitfires. for what its worth, I think the originals were natural metal, the ones in the pictures are a modern restoration with paint to ease maintenance. If you want to make one that is flying today with the restored finish then you should go for that, is it one in original look it should be more bare metal with the different pieces of metal / color. I have been thinking about some 109's as they look today, civil registration under the stabiliser and all, but that is another matter.

Hope this helped a bit in your planning @lis?

• Profile Photo

@airbum @johnb @fiveten do I see well that from the painting scheme it can be concluded that the antenna is black? About the color of the plane. As I understood correctly the history of Australian spitfires, they were polished to bare metal upon arrival at the command of the commander, and the rudder was painted with aluminum-colored paint. That's why it seems to me that there had to be a quite distinct shiny color. I want to use super metallic from Mr Hobby. @airbum if the rudders had to be painted with a different shade of metallic color, what would be good? And I repeat the question whether it will not be art for the sake of art, if the shades are almost identical?

• Profile Photo

The antenna at the drawing is shown to be painted black, @lis.

• Profile Photo
    Erik Gjørup said 2 years, 10 months ago:

@Lis, I do not know the correct shade in all brands, but something like Valejo Matt Aluminium or perhaps the good old Humbrol silver (no 11 as far as I remember) would be my choice for the painted rudders and such, and then your preferred polished alu for the fuselage, perhaps a few different shades of it on different panels. If they look all the same in 1/72 then the same shade will do fine.

• Profile Photo
    John Healy said 2 years, 10 months ago:

Lis, most silver Spitfires were painted aluminum lacquer. It was a common post war scheme. The PR19 photo shows an accurately restored example. The restored Mk. IX in 601 Sq. colors was actually in bare metal in Italy during the war. The rest of the squadron was camouflaged. It looks like they painted this one silver for anti corrosion purposes during the restoration. All that said, some RAAF Vcs were stripped to bare metal like yours. I would use a slightly duller silver for the fabric parts and a brighter aluminum for the rest of the plane.

• Profile Photo

@airbum mabye matt aluminium for rudders will be ok. I will try

• Profile Photo
    George R Blair Jr said 2 years, 10 months ago:

I think it is looking great @lis. I also am no expert on Spitfires, especially non-camouflaged versions, but I have read that the post-war silver versions were painted all-over with a color called "RAF High Speed Silver". It was supposedly a 50/50 mix of aluminum paint and clear lacquer. I think Mission Models has High Speed Silver in their paint range.

• Profile Photo

@j-healy @gblair thank you and your suggestion. I already bought super fine silver from mr hobby and hopes it will look good on fuselage and wings. Rudders I think I will try by super meetalic dull aluminium.

• Profile Photo
    George R Blair Jr said 2 years, 10 months ago:

I think your plan will work perfectly, @lis.