Tamiya 1/48th Corsair, Lucky Gallon

Started by Jim Harley · 10 · 2 years ago · Air Racing, Aviation, Corsair, Tamiya
  • Profile Photo
    Jim Harley said 2 years, 9 months ago:

Hey guys! Thought you might want to see the conversion process for Lucky Gallon. This one is pretty straight forward, much like Cook Cleland’s original budget 🙂 Cook and his guys reduced the oil cooler inlet, made a custom carb scoop and faired in the tail hook pocket. This was his interim Corsair until he started acquiring F2Gs. The airplane was saved by Walter Soplata and it was in his basement for 60 years. He sold off bits over the years but the center section is still intact and being restored in CA to her former glory. Here is the model, start finish. It’s basically a stock Corsair. The lower cowl flaps were adjusted to fit around the carb scoop and the oil coolers were filled and new parts made. Mike and I went through his paint catalog for the 1940’s and matched up the cream to an Ivory color. The red I mixed with Tamiya black to match Greg’s decal colors and period color photos. Thanks for having a look. More racers to come…Beguine is coming!

22 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo

This is Lucky Gallon today at Chuck Wahl’s shop. For those in FB you can follow along at Vultures Row Aviation. He’s got around 7-8 Corsair projects, many Birdcages, and a couple combat vets. All being restored to fly.

2 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 2 years, 9 months ago:

What a great project, my friend @jimh!
    Love the conversion, love the result!

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 2 years, 9 months ago:

Still a lot of work to be done on the real thing, Jim.

• Profile Photo
    George R Blair Jr said 2 years, 9 months ago:

Conversion looks great, especially the custom paint, Jim (@jimh). Well done.

• Profile Photo

Yep, based on the progress Chuck has made on the other airframes I’d say 4 years. He has a literal production line going.

• Profile Photo

Thank Spiros! Nice to do a Corsair that’s not blue 🙂

• Profile Photo

Thank you George!

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 2 years, 9 months ago:

Forgot to mention that your build looks fantastic Jim @jimh
    Hopefully the restoration of the real one will turn out as beautiful as yours.

• Profile Photo

Thank you John! Chuck is one of the best.