Tamiya 1/72 De Haviland Mosquito - Guy Gibson and Jim Warwick

Started by John vd Biggelaar · 73 · 5 hours ago
  • Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 2 months, 1 week ago:

@fiveten, @matthewfdyer, @gblair, thanks a lot all.

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 2 months ago:

This way of mounting the front part of the fuselage is a new method to me, but Tamiya did a great piece of engineering there. It sort of 'clicks' together and fits extremely well.

• Profile Photo
    George R Blair Jr said 2 months ago:

Interior is looking great with paint on it, John (@johnb). The "click system" looks really cool and results in a nice, smooth joint. I have never seen this method before, but I have this kit in the stash, so I will run into it at some point.

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 2 months ago:

Great Tamiya engineering, my friend @johnb! Your Mosquito is coming together really nicely!

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 2 months ago:

@gblair, thank you, George. Would love to see you build that Mosquito as well.
    @fiveten, thanks a lot, Spiros

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 1 month, 3 weeks ago:

The air intakes were molded as a massive piece, I opened them to give it a bit more of a realistic look.

Added the IP decal, a bit too shiny to my opinion so will try a wash to make it look a bit more 'used'.

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 1 month, 3 weeks ago:

Nice opened-up looking intakes, my friend @johnb! As for the IP, a wash will make it look more realistic.

• Profile Photo

• Profile Photo
    Erik Gjørup said 1 month, 3 weeks ago:

Always a good idea to open up holes - adds a lot for relatively little work. Keep it comin'

• Profile Photo
    George R Blair Jr said 1 month, 3 weeks ago:

I always have trouble opening up thinks like vents, etc on my models, but yours are great, John (@johnb). Even with a large canopy, the IP will still be difficult to see clearly, so this will look fine after you subdue the shine.

• Profile Photo

@airbum, thanks a lot, Erik. Still risky to perform those surgeries.
    @gblair, thanks, George. I also do get nervous when opening those little holes.

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 1 month ago:

Finally some time at the bench again. this time the delay was mainly caused by a trip to Vienna and Budapest with a visit to the Hungarian F1 race in the end. Quite exhausting I have to say.
    Slowly started with the work on the interior. I might do a bit more detailing but I noticed that when closing the fuselage barely anything can be seen in this scale.

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 1 month ago:

The interior looks excellent, my friend @johnb!

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 1 month ago:

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 3 weeks, 4 days ago:

Finally some bench time for the Mosquito. The cockpit was mounted inside the fuselage, very nice fit I have to say.

I flattened the tires so that they will look a bit more realistic.

Fuselage halves went together quite nicely as well.
    The wings are dry fitted, not too much of an issue expected there, and finally the beautiful shape of the Mosquito becomes visible.