Tamiya 1/72 De Haviland Mosquito - Guy Gibson and Jim Warwick

Started by John vd Biggelaar · 86 · 7 hours ago
  • Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 4 days, 21 hours ago:

Looks already very homogeneous, my friend @johnb! Looking forward to the final primer!

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 4 days, 18 hours ago:

@gblair, thank you, George. Finding free time in the coming week might be difficult, lots of activities going on around here to celebrate 80 years of liberation. My hometown was part of Market Garden, next Tuesday a lot of military vehicles will pass through our village again following the same route as 80 years ago.

@fiveten, thanks a lot, Spiros.

• Profile Photo
    George R Blair Jr said 4 days, 12 hours ago:

The Market Garden remembrance sounds really cool, John (@johnb). To most of the people around here, WW2 seems really distant. I think we are diminished by failing to remember the past. Perhaps some photos of the event?

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 1 day, 11 hours ago:

So today we had the Market Garden Liberation tour passing our town, which they also did exactly 80 years ago. It was really impressive to see all those vehicles still in running condition. Especially those Shermans and half trucks. Our city center did smell the entire day to fuel. Its a pity I cannot upload videos but from the pictures it should be clear how it was when they powered up their engines.

18 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    George R Blair Jr said 1 day, 10 hours ago:

Wow, what an event, John (@johnb), and it looks like the weather was perfect. It is great to keep the memory of these events alive. Don't see much of this sort of thing around here. Thanks for posting the photos.

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 1 day, 8 hours ago:

@gblair, thank you, George. The weather cooperated a lot indeed. Since I know that we don't have that many tanks in running condition, I asked around where they got them from. It seems like that lots of vehicles, not only the tanks, besides from the Netherlands, also came from volunteers in Malta, France, England, Ireland and so on. It must have been a big operation to get all those vehicles over here. Good to see that still so many people appreciate what all those men did 80 years ago to give us freedom.

• Profile Photo
    George R Blair Jr said 1 day, 8 hours ago:

Hi John (@john): As soon as you said where some of these vehicles came from, I started thinking about how hard it must have been to get them shipped to the Netherlands. It's not like you can put them in a box and give them to the post office. The dedication to bringing this event together is huge and very cool.

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 20 hours, 39 minutes ago:

What a day, my friend @johnb! Thanks for uploading those photos!

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 20 hours, 16 minutes ago:

@gblair, they said that it had taken them a couple of days to transport those tanks on low loaders to get them here. Those people were so enthusiastic, it was amazing.
    @fiveten, you're welcome, Spiros.

• Profile Photo
    Carl Smoot said 14 hours, 4 minutes ago:

Very cool John. I would have liked to see that display. Thanks for sharing the photos.

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 7 hours, 37 minutes ago:

@clipper, more than happy to share this happening, Carl. Today a beautiful C47 with invasion stripes flew over my house on its way to the dropping zone near Nijmegen. They are really making a big event out of it this year. I had to rush outside to get a picture of it, so my apologies for the quality.