Tamiya 1/32 Birdcage II

Started by Johannes Gerl · 33 · 8 years ago · 1/32, Birdcage, Corsair, Tamiya, Vought
  • Profile Photo
    Johannes Gerl said 9 years, 2 months ago:

20 days after what I called Waterloo (http://imodeler.com/2015/02/waterloo/) the base coat is on the airframe and the wings again.

4 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Craig Abrahamson said 9 years, 2 months ago:

That kit is as close to the "perfect" kit as there is, wouldn't you agree...?

• Profile Photo
    Rob Pollock said 9 years, 2 months ago:

Are you adding the ignition harness?

• Profile Photo

@Craig, ... one stands open mouthed in amazement, especially when fitting the fuselage to the central wing section.

• Profile Photo

@Rob, ... hmmmmmmm, not too late you think?

• Profile Photo

Corsairs have that typical paint chipping on the wing root. Apart from very view coloured ones, all reference pictures are black and white, but they look as if fairly large areas zinc chromate show through along with parts where there's no more paint at all.

4 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    David Hansen said 9 years, 2 months ago:

I strongly recommend the brass antenna posts and Pitot tube from G-Factor models. You probably know already that the kit antenna post is kind of flimsy. Just a thought.

david

• Profile Photo

That is a perfect timing, David. I was making up my mind about how to model the antenna.
    Does it also replace the part on top of the rudder?

• Profile Photo

Version 2.0.
    Getting there ...

2 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo

Looks good. You don't become a good modeller until you become a good repairman, as Terry Schuler likes to say.

david

• Profile Photo

Unfortunately, no. I too have pondered that. My thought would be to start by carefully drilling a hole in the location of the rudder post with a .080 drill bit and very carefully open this out. Next, take a very small diameter piece of aluminium rod (brass might work but i'm not sure) and make sure it will plug into the hole you drilled in the rudder. Next, whack part of it with a hammer to flatten it out, and cut it to proper length. Then, file it to final taper and shape and cross section with sanding sticks and flexi files.

Added bonus to this approach is you can leave the mast off until the very end of construction. Rodney Williams used this technique on a 32nd scale Hellcat and i was pretty impressed.

What do you think?

david

• Profile Photo
    Bernd Müller said 9 years, 2 months ago:

The second coming of a great build ! Good luck !

• Profile Photo
    Rob Pollock said 9 years, 2 months ago:

I think the metal replacement would be a good idea. I would go for brass as it's easier to shape/manipulate. I took my 1/32 Tamiya Zero to a show last week and found I'd managed to break off the flimsy pitot. I used a small diameter tube and fitted a pin tip within it, snipping off the point and filing the tip 'round'. It not only is more robust it actually looks it too.

Nice work so far with the paint wear.

• Profile Photo

That is it, David!
    I thought about a metal replacement too, but then continued to go with the kit solution and some "nothing will happen" way of thinking.
    When I'm doing another one, I'll leave the whole open during the build and plug the metal antenna in right at the end.

• Profile Photo

Thanks, Bernd. This time for sure ...