Tamiya 1/48 A6M-2N Rufe

Started by Jaime Carreon · 32 · 9 years ago · floatplanes, Rufe, Tamiya
  • Profile Photo
    Rick Wilkes said 9 years, 7 months ago:

Here's my Hasegawa Rufe that I did when the kit was first released way back when.
    I showed maroon primer starting to show through the paint on the bottom of the floats and high traffic areas.

And from 1968, the State of the Art. The new Tamiya "Purple" Pete on the cover.

How things have changed since this book changed my 13 year old prospective on what building models could be versus making toys.

• Profile Photo
    Bernd Müller said 9 years, 7 months ago:

Hello Jaime, your Zero with floats on, looks good, did this one years ago, the old Tamiya kits
    are often described as outdated, but you can have a lot of fun with it.
    Can t wait to see your finished Rufe. Mine need a lot of TLC to get back on the shelf.

BTW, nice Rufe too, Rick

Happy Modelling

Bernd

• Profile Photo
    Jaime Carreon said 9 years, 7 months ago:

It's getting there. It was a pretty busy week, so there wasn't a lot of time for airplane stuff.

All of the seams are finally sanded and prepped. I shot the gray lower surfaces this afternoon, using Model Master IJN Sky Gray, lightened, as usual, with a little white. I'm going to let that cure while I'm at work. Hopefully I can get the upper green paint on next weekend. I'm not looking forward to masking the canopy...

Thanks, Bernd! It is a nice kit, even if it is old, and has gone together pretty well so far.

• Profile Photo

Sounds like my week too and your words about masking these heavy framed canopy sounds somewhat familar to me too. But its worth have some extra care, its a nice kit and will looking very special in your aircraft collection.
    Got the 5 and the 3 from Tamiya in my stash, i don t "retire" kits while they have raised panels
    On Tamiyas Zeros, they are very petite.

Bernd

• Profile Photo
    Jaime Carreon said 9 years, 7 months ago:

Bernd, on my kit, the panel lines are so petite they're almost nonexistent!

Rick, I remember the purple Pete, but I was only 10 years old when that book came out, so needless to say, I didn't have a copy...

• Profile Photo

Jaime, that means true to scale 🙂

• Profile Photo
    Jaime Carreon said 9 years, 6 months ago:

After a couple of weeks of life intervention, I was finally able to get back to work on the Rufe. After the usual several hours of masking (which was made a bit more interesting with the addition of the floats), I shot the upper surface IJN dark green. Finally got the problem with my air compressor regulator ironed out and the paint went on just fine. It also helped that it wasn't 99 degrees outside! The green was lightened with some light gray, but it still looks a bit bright. I'm hoping it tones down a bit once I get the flat coat and weathering on. She'll sit for a bit while I go back to generate some revenue, then I'll get started on the decals and all the other little things that need to happen. The upper part of the rudder will be hand brushed in silver to simulate an unpainted fabric surface.

In the last photo is a surprise, a barn find of sorts. While shuffling some other stuff around, I found a 1/48 Monogram F-16 that I started who knows how long ago. It deserves to get finished after sitting around all this time, probably in the markings of the 111th FS, which was based at Ellington Field here in Houston...

5 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Bernd Müller said 9 years, 6 months ago:

Looking good, Jaime. Its good to see modellers like you, doing justice to older kits with good effect.

• Profile Photo
    Simon Whitney said 9 years, 6 months ago:

Looking great Jaime, keep up the good work.

• Profile Photo

Decals today. They went on surprisingly well for as old as they are, had no trouble at all. It didn't take very long as there aren't many markings on these airplanes.

Engine and cowl were then installed. The green doesn't seem so glaring now that the engine and the decals are on and I'm hoping it will tone down even more with the weathering and the flat top coat. The fit between the wing and the main float strut is not that great, will probably have to do something creative to hide the seam when I get to that point.

Bernd, I do enjoy building these old kits. It's a trip back in time for me, and many of them are not that bad if you just take a little time. They seem to take well to modern techniques, though I think half the fun way back when was not knowing what I was doing...

2 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Rick Wilkes said 9 years, 6 months ago:

Jaime you're really making that old girl shine, looks great.

• Profile Photo

Great work Jaime, Tamiya decals are somewhat "rugged" looking very good. Higly inspirational stuff, i guess i will take my Tamiya Zeros out and have a long look at them.
    I agrre with your view about older kits, if a new kit comes out, it doesnt mean i will retire the older one. I can t hardly walk away from a good Monogram/Tamiya... offering.

• Profile Photo

Got a little more work done today. The prop, bomb racks and exhaust stacks were painted and installed. One of the little aileron balances flew off into the netherworld while I was trying to cut it off the sprue, so this model won't have them, but it isn't noticeable so I'm not going to lose any sleep over it.

Main float has been attached and fit much better than I expected. Once the glues sets on that, I'll attach the tip floats and the airplane will be pretty much complete. Masking the canopy proved to not be a good idea as the framing is very light in places and I got quite a bit of paint bleeding under the tape. Fortunately, I only did part of the main canopy on one side, since I wasn't sure if how well this would go. I'm having much better luck doing this by hand with a fine brush. The decal setting solution cracked the two upper wing hinomarus, but didn't affect any of the other decals at all. I'll try to work that damage into the weathering.

• Profile Photo

Hi Jaime,modelling is a challenge and masking is a part of. Sounds familar to me, i am using this yellow tape from Tamiya or the cheaper Revell tape, it works very good.
    Paint "glitches" on canopys can be removed with toothpaste or smooth sandpaper, i am
    sanding wet after the paint is removed. i polished the part and dipping it in floor wax or clear.

Good luck with the markings, if you need new Hinomarus, i guess, i can help you out from my spare decals

Happy Modelling

Bend

• Profile Photo
    Rick Wilkes said 9 years, 6 months ago:

Jaime, I think I have some spare Hinomsrus as well, if working them into the weathering doesn't work out.