Tamiya 1/48th Supermarine Spitfire Mk.1 RAF, ETO,WWII

Started by Chuck A. Villanueva · 20 · 9 years ago
  • Profile Photo
    Chuck A. Villanueva said 9 years, 8 months ago:

The reason I am not posting this article on the BOB GB is that I had started building this kit in January long before the D-Day GB was announced and the BOB wasn't even an idea as yet. It was one of my "2014" new build projects that I had planned. The next kit after this on the project board was the Mk.Vb also from Tamiya. But when the D-Day GB was announced and the dates set, I put it aside to work on the P-47. Once that project was completed I started the Spit back up and just had it ready for paint when the BOB GB was announced and dates set, and the Spit was to far along to include it, so here we are. The Tam kit is excellent crisp with 2 sprues and thank the Lord not over engineered yet fine detail well presented an easy build. While planning this and a little research and with 2 more Spits that will follow after this one, I went ahead and got the wonderful Spitfire decal sheet from Victory Productions, #48-006, "Spitfire, Aces of the Empire", you can build over 40 Spits off this sheet. Started the project in late January, didn't get the decals until March. Along with the sheet an Eduards Cockpit zoom set FE199. Otherwise the rest of the build is whats in the box. I really wanted to build a Mk.1 with the Dk Earth/Dk Green over the 1/2 black, 1/2 white paint scheme. On the sheet I picked the 5th aircraft, a machine flown by Flight Lieutenant Robert Stanford-Tuck, #92 squadron, RAF Pembry, May 1940, AC N3249. Flt Lt, Tuck was assigned this AC on 23 May 1940, shooting down 3 German aircraft, 2 BF-110's and a 3rd later that day while in support of the Dunkirk evacuation. The next day on the 24th he shot down 2 more, this time Do-17's to achieve "Ace" status. These achievements are mentioned in his biography "Fly For Your Life".

As I normally do, I started with airbrushing Humbrol RAF Interior Grey/Green on the fuselage halves, cockpit components. Then Alclad Aluminum for the wheel wells, struts, wheels, interior of the radiator and intake coolers, inside gear doors. Model Master Flat Black for the prop and spinner. Once that process was finished it was time to work on the cockpit. 1st the seat, I chose IJN Red Brown for the seat cushion (probably German Red brown would've worked also). Normally I'm pretty good in hand brushing this on, but somehow got the shaky jakes trying to keep the edge sharp where it meets the seat frame, so it is a little off. Cut off the sprue and the next step is to install the belts. We will get to this on the next installment.

Chuck

Fly Navy

6 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Gregor d said 9 years, 8 months ago:

Great start Chuck, i look forward to your next post. You can race Jaime to the "finish line" - he's about at the same stage as you with his Tamiya Mk 1 🙂

• Profile Photo
    Jaime Carreon said 9 years, 8 months ago:

Wow, that looks really familiar, Chuck! Hope you didn't get lack of sprues anxiety like I did... 🙂

• Profile Photo
    neil foster said 9 years, 8 months ago:

Looking nice Chuck, I need to do a classic Spit.
    N.

• Profile Photo
    Seamus Boughe said 9 years, 8 months ago:

Hey Chuck, your Spit is not that far along to exclude it from the BoF/BoB Group Build. You can include it if you want to.

• Profile Photo

It is already completed. I started the build in January. Finished it in July. After the D-Day GB.

• Profile Photo

In this session I will proceed with completing the cockpit. I decided to go ahead to assemble the rear bulkhead and floor. Then attach the PE armor plate to the bulkhead. Once set then attached the seat. Then the PE armor plate to protect the head of the pilot is installed. Since this a low stress area I use white glue to attach the PE to this part of the cockpit. Then time to install the seat belts starting with the rear set, then the lap belts are applied to the lower seat pan. Then the seatbelt harness carefully fed through the upper armor plate and upper seat back trying to create a natural look, though not easy to do with PE. The control yoke is installed as well. The grip painted in Gloss Black.
    Next to prepare to install the instrument panel and gauges. 1st to remove the dials, switches and knobs off the IP. Painted with Humbrol RAF Interior Grey/Green. Dab of white glue and attach the 1st layer of PE with the gauges. Then the 2nd piece overlayed to finish the process. Attach the rudder pedals, and then install the forward bulkhead/IP to the floor rails and this portion of the cockpit is finished. Next to run some silver pencil and Umbar wash to show some wear. Next it's time to work on the fuselage in our next session. Thanks for viewing.

Chuck
    Fly Navy

15 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Gregor d said 9 years, 8 months ago:

Looking good Chuck. It was nice to see the build up on the PE instrument panel, which looks great.

• Profile Photo

So with the theme song from the "Rockford Files" playing, today we work the cockpit side panels adding the PE detail bits, dry brush and run a little Burnt Umbar wash. I start with Lh side and install the various detail bits. Then over to the other side and add the PE bits as well. Next test fit the cockpit into fuselage, everything is aligned not tilted in either to left of right. Cement in place and assemble the fuselage halves.
    Now the fun begins as to me that is the longest yet most rewarding part at the beginning is a nice cockpit to start the project. Once thats done, the airframe takes shape quite rapidly as the tailplanes are installed and next comes the wings. See how really clean the Spitfire fuselage looks even without any of the wings installed. I can see why so many say the Spit was the finest pure fighter in the ETO, of course the Mustang was gorgeous as well in the Pacific the Corsair or Hellcat had great arguments all with great points. Thats it for now thanks for viewing.

Chuck
    Fly Navy

8 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    AL HOFFMAN said 9 years, 8 months ago:

Your making good, steady progress Chuck. Cockpit should turn out great.

• Profile Photo

With the basic airframe now all assembled, time to clean up the seams which will require some putty and lay down a little paint work to get the feel of how I will approach the Black/White under surface portion of the paint scheme. After the initial black airbrushed on the lower wing. I will add the radiator and oil cooler scoops. Before the final colors are airbrused on. More to follow

Chuck
    Fly Navy

3 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Simon Whitney said 9 years, 8 months ago:

Looking good Chuck, nice builds those Tamiya kits.

• Profile Photo
    Rick Wilkes said 9 years, 8 months ago:

Looking good Chuck. If I didn't know it was already finished, I say you were just about ready to paint. 😉

• Profile Photo

With the windshield, canopy and scoops installed. It was time to mask and airbrush Humbrol British interior Grey/Green over the canopy frames. With that done it was time to preshade the airframe with MM Flat Black. Next was to paint the white undersurface using Polly Scale White, which covers quite well with a couple of passes. Unlike most acrylic whites which takes a hundred (seems like) before decent coverage. Next using Vallejo Night Black for the other 1/2 of the lower surface. Set that off to the side. Next time we will apply the Type "B" camo scheme of Dk Green/Dk Earth. Thanks for viewing.

Chuck
    Fly Navy

6 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Seamus Boughe said 9 years, 8 months ago:

Not to be nit picky Chuck, but you might want to consider cutting off the protruding gun barrels. Those were only found on early two blade prop Spitfires, though I doubt anyone would notice if you chose to leave them on. Nice work so far.