Tamiya F-16 Aggressor 1/48

Started by Matt Buxton · 13 · 4 years ago · 1/48, aggressor, F-16, Tamiya, Viper
  • Profile Photo
    Matt Buxton said 4 years, 6 months ago:

My next project is Tamiya's Aggressor F-16 in 1/48. I'm building this in the arctic splinter scheme seen here:

So far I've got the cockpit done. The belts are scratch built from putty and wire.

3 additional images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Erik Gjørup said 4 years, 6 months ago:

Interesting scheme! - I will stay tunet on this build 🙂

• Profile Photo
    George R Blair Jr said 4 years, 6 months ago:

Cockpit looks great. Looking forward to seeing the rest of the build. The paint scheme should be fun with a lot of masking. Do you have some extra rolls of tape ready to go? :o)

• Profile Photo
    Craig Abrahamson said 4 years, 6 months ago:

I've often wondered just who (or maybe what) designs those camo schemes.

• Profile Photo

I got some masks from http://www.DNModels.com which should make things easier. I'm planning on black basing and then layering up from there. Maybe the base coat will be a different shade of black to the top coat and hopefully it will add contrast.

• Profile Photo

More progress on the Viper.
    Main gear bay started

Fuselage done .
    Exhaust done .

• Profile Photo
    Erik Gjørup said 4 years, 6 months ago:

Good progress here - I like the "whiteburned" pipe!

• Profile Photo

A bit closer to final the final paint job. Instrument panel done, never to be seen again.

Cockpit nearly complete, just needs the IP to be hidden in it.
    It looks like no need for nose weights either, which is nice.
    The tail is removable, as are the elevators, which should make painting a little simpler as long as the masks don't overlap too much and the splinters align nicely.
    Next up, the canopy and ordnance.

• Profile Photo
    Matt Buxton said 4 years, 5 months ago:

Forgot to take pics of the masking process. Using the pre-cut masks was tricky to get some aligned and I had to use masking tape to secure a couple of gaps but the main paint job is complete and glossed, ready for decals.

2 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    George R Blair Jr said 4 years, 5 months ago:

Looking great. How many rolls of masking tape did you use? :o)

• Profile Photo

Thankfully not too much tape needed due to the pre-cut masks. They made the paint job much easier once I'd worked out the order to do the layers.

• Profile Photo
    Paul Wheeler said 4 years, 5 months ago:

This looks awesome Matt, this one is definitely moving up on my to do list. Whose paint did you use? I see quite a variety on your bench.

• Profile Photo

Paints are either Vallejo Model Air or Tamiya acrylics. For this I used Tamiya flat black, Vallejo insignia white, USAF medium grey for the main colours and aggressor grey for the nose. I think the medium grey was too dark when I compare it to reference pictures now but the colour listed on the paint guide seemed too light in comparison so I picked the shade of grey out of the many, many greys I have that I thought best matched. I'm still happy with it though.