Tamiya F4U-1, 1/48. A Trio of Corsairs for the Collection.

Started by Harvey R. · 167 · 2 years ago · 1/48, Corsair, F4U, navy, Pacific, RNZAF, USN, WWII
  • Profile Photo
    George R Blair Jr said 2 years, 9 months ago:

All 3 are looking good, Harvey (@scalerambush). It will be interesting watching the 3 different planes go through the painting process together. I tend to use pieces of sheet plastic for my practice and trials for painting and weathering. Its a lot cheaper than sacrificing a model. If I need something other than just a flat surface, I glue some pieces of strip or rod to the sheet to get some heights and depths to work with.

• Profile Photo
    Harvey R. said 2 years, 9 months ago:

Pour one out for the compressor

Looks like the ol' AS186 compressor has reached it's limit, a leak has developed. Upon reaching 20ish PSI it begins to leak air BIG TIME, possibly from the pressure valve? I be honest I don't know enough about the inner workings of the compressor to know for sure.

I tried to spray the interior parts black and it worked okay but got extremely hot due to it having to work overtime, by the end of the 10 minute session the spray was noticeably worse and throughout it the pressure just wasn't constant.

So, more money to spend eh?

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 2 years, 9 months ago:

Looks like your compressor's time has come, my friend @scalerambush!

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 2 years, 9 months ago:

That is a pitty, Harvey @scalerambush
    Wondering how long you AS186 did last.
    I'm having that same compressor, still doing the job well.

• Profile Photo

Just had a look John, looks like it was 22 months, it almost made it to 2 years!

It is probably fixable if I get another pressure valve, that being said my airbrush before that ended up having a different problem with that part and replacing it just caused more issues.

Regardless, even though I didn't get the work done on the interior as I'd have liked as I want to try spraying MRP aluminium as an undercoat for chipping, I did get a bit of work done though admittedly I did take the opportunity to mess around in flight sims instead.

F4U-1C, Necessary Modifications.

Going off of the previous photographs we can see the ammunition access hatches are 4 large doors, rather than the 6 small doors on the 50.cal armed F4U-1s. As such masking tape and tamiya putty was used to fill in the panel lines, then new ones were rescribed. It all looks a bit messy but this is due to it needed a coat of Mr.Surfacer 1500 before another round of sanding, and obviously I need a working airbrush for that.

In the meantime using some math I guesstimated the size of the bulges and the cannon blast tubes based on the size of the picture, divided by the size of the model. I'm away from home at the moment so I'll edit this later to show how I worked it out. It's not 100% accurate but using reference points it seems close enough for me to be happy with, the real challenge is going to be in making those bulges look right.

With the Hurricane Mk.IIC brass gun tubes I bought, they also come with the cannon blast tubes. My original plan was to use evergreen styrene tubes but I realised that a more accurate shape would be to cut the front brass blast tubes off to the right size, so measuring a photo in the book and then dividing it by the size of the blast tube I got a rough but workable estimate for what size I need. These were put into a vice, sawed off, and then simply superglued onto the wing. I'm not too fussed about their placement as I'll happily tear them off since it's only superglue if need be, but I wanted to see how it looked and it seems pretty good to my eyes. The outboard gun is slightly lower in the wing than the inboard gun which I tried to replicate. Some changes will need to be made to barrels themselves to get them to fit nicely in the now significantly smaller tubes, but heres an approximate of what it could look like, the guns do come with a spring but it too big to fit on due to the changes.

Aside from this I got to work on cleaning up the leading edge of the wing, sprue glue was used to cover the seam and then it was all sanded down until smooth. Finally, I cut off the rudder on the -1A as I'll use an Aires resin control surfaces set I had laying around.

All in all, I'm waiting until I can get the fuselage halves together before I do much more, and naturally that requires the interiors to be painted up.

• Profile Photo

You did great work on those cannons, Harvey.
    Aligning is perfect.

• Profile Photo

Math

Measuring the photograph included in the book with some digital callipers I got the measurement of 25.1mm between two gun bay doors, measuring this same part in the kit I got a measurement of 16.8mm. I have no idea how math works, lets give it a go though. 25.1/16.8 = 1.494, this number should be the scale difference between the photograph and the model. Lets test this number on something else, choosing the ammunition bay doors the photograph measures 15.4mm, divide this by 1.494 and we get 10.3, and when we measure this same part on the model we get 10.0mm, not exact but obviously the photograph isn't a perfect angle and the model may not be 100% accurate. I call that a close enough result to work with.

Should you decide to do this yourself, you'll probably want to pick up the book, If you can't for whatever reason here's what the measurements of the photograph is to my eyes. Outer cannon bulge is 10.7mm x 5.3mm, the inner bulge is 7.9mm x 3.8mm, so dividing each number by 1.494 for these 1.48 models we get a grand total of 7.16mm x 3.54mm for the outer, and 5.28mm x 2.54mm.

Again, these probably aren't 100% accurate. But eyeballing the approximate lengths using reference points and they seem accurate enough for me to be happy with.

Essential Modifications for Your Corsair

If you choose to build a Tamiya Corsair, and you should, one essential modification is this little flap here.

This flap features a cut out for a foot-step, this step was a feature of the F4U-4. Needless to say, the F4U-1 and 1A should never have this step. I've heard it been said that the F4U-1D should only get this post-war (whilst rare, you can find 1Ds with the Korean War style markings), but it's also been said that some F4U-1Ds recieved this flap step as a replacement for a damaged flap once the F4U-4 entered service. Make your own decision on this, as always reference photos are king, but generally if its a -1D you'll probably not want it but it's up to you, any other F4U-1s shouldn't have it.

How you approach filling it is up to you, I just taped off an area and then filled it with Tamiya putty, it needs a Mr.Surfacer cover though.

Now for the rest of the flaps. The Corsair comes with flaps down, so if you want flaps up you'll either need the aftermarket route (Pros- The Aires set doesn't have the foot-step. Cons- The Aires set doesn't fit great) or modify the flaps yourself.

It isn't too hard to do this, you'll need to trim some parts off the wing particularly to make it fit as well as the pin on the flaps itself, but with some sanding and fitting you'll get it to work easy enough. Do note, some doors do cover the leading edge of flap from the underside when it is raised. I'll add this on later as I ran out of plasti-card.

Finally, on the Aires resin set the cockpit comes prepared for the -1D. The F4U-1C/D had two 'eyebrow' panels either side of the gun sight with buttons for operating the weaponry. The 1A should have the left 'eyebrow' as it has the controls for the machine guns, the later versions should have the 'eyebrow' on the right as it has the controls for bombs and rockets, the Birdcage should have neither.
    Regardless as this is going in a -1A, I chopped off the unneeded bump.

Interestingly, the Tamiya kit comes with parts for these on the F4U-1D kits, but the F4U-1A kits which should have the left 'eyebrow' don't come with them.

And finally, not a modification you need, but I lost the resin rudder pedal rails so ended up using the kit parts for it.

• Profile Photo
    Louis Gardner said 2 years, 9 months ago:

Harvey, @scalerambush
    I just accidentally stumbled across this multiple Corsair build of yours. It reminds me of the very first article I posted here on Imodeler, where I was building 3 Corsairs all at the same time, much like you are doing here now. I am a big fan of the Corsair, it is my favorite all time aircraft ever, from any era. This likely happened from events that I experienced as a child. Between watching episodes of "The Blacksheep Squadron", (mainly for the airplane scenes), and seeing several real ones as they were being restored, it became my favorite...

This scrawny little long haired kid was me, standing next to one of Harry's Corsairs. This one happened to be his F4U-1A, which is now in a museum in Brazil.

My Dad was friends with a man named Harry Doan, who owned 3 of these "full sized" 1 to 1 scale aircraft in the 1970's, and throughout the 1980's. I watched as they restored a F4U-1A and saw his F2G "Race 57" before it was restored to full airworthy status later on after his death. Harry also owned a F4U-1D, which for many years I thought was a cannon armed F4U-1C, just like the one you are building here. As it turns out, this was the result of an earlier accident, where someone had replaced the outer wing panels, using a set taken from a F4U-4 and installed them on the aircraft before Harry owned it. Jim Sullivan was so kind to point this out to me and provided me with some pictures to back up what he was saying... Thanks again Jim, if you happen to be reading this...

The twin ammunition covers on top of the wing you are modifying, were actually the ammunition boxes. The whole box was removable, and allowed for a faster turn around time for a re-fuel and re-arm type of maintenance thing. The upper cover of the ammunition box actually served as the wing's outer surface. On the very early birdcage Corsairs, they were not interchangeable between the gun positions, and were numbered as so. As time went on, and the aircraft was improved, they made some changes during the production run and made it so these ammo boxes were interchangeable.

I am REALLY liking what you are doing here, and will be watching for the next installment. 🙂

• Profile Photo

Impressive prgress, Harvey @scalerambush
    You are doing some serious modifications to achieve a realistic build.
    This thread is becoming a great guide.

• Profile Photo

Love your progress and all math done, my friend @scalerambush!
    The end results look spot on!

• Profile Photo
    George R Blair Jr said 2 years, 9 months ago:

The detail you are packing into this build is impressive, Harvey (@scalerambush). I have never built a Corsair with the wings folded, but it should really save on some shelf space.

• Profile Photo

Thank you folks, it's appreciated!

These three will all be wings unfolded, as the RNZAF F4U-1A and F4U-1C will be in flight, and the VF-17 F4U-1As didn't get folded up that much when they were operating from the land bases. I did build a previous F4U-1D folded. The biggest gripes I have with the kit is that when unfolded it can be a bit a task to align the wings, another problem is the somewhat weak wings when they are folded but this isn't too much a problem, it's just the cost of having a model with the choice. I've been doing some test fitting of the wing halves and I think they'll be pretty standard, chances are that half of them will be fine and the other half will need some sand and filler. We shall see.

I have heard of people using metal spars instead of the kit plastic to strengthen the join for both folded or unfolded wings, it seems a little unnecessary to me.

• Profile Photo

I also think using metal spars is a step too far, my friend @scalerambush.

• Profile Photo

It would be a real challenge to do that, Harvey @scalerambush
    Like said by our friend Spiros @fiveten, a step too far, definitely not a must.

• Profile Photo

Sometimes life just likes to kick you in the metaphorical balls.

Here's an image. I'd like you to spot something about it.

Perhaps the fragile box opened the locked gate and walked in? Perhaps a delivery driver threw a fragile box over the fence? Perhaps the delivery driver has magic and was able to teleport it across the gate?

Either way, that's a second broken airbrush compressor.

Here's an image of the pressure gauge. The compressor was full of air in this image.

Sometimes you just can't win can ya?