Tamiya F4U-1, 1/48. A Trio of Corsairs for the Collection.

Started by Harvey R. · 167 · 2 years ago · 1/48, Corsair, F4U, navy, Pacific, RNZAF, USN, WWII
  • Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 2 years, 9 months ago:

That needle is definitely not on the correct location, Harvey @scalerambush
    Are you maybe able to exchance it with the gauge from the other compressor.
    Ofcourse it should be solved in the correct way, this way of delivery is just unaccaptable.

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 2 years, 9 months ago:

Life is fighting you, compressor-wise, my friend @scalerambush!
    Hope at least you'll somehow get a replacement one, free of charge.

• Profile Photo
    George R Blair Jr said 2 years, 9 months ago:

Wow, that is some delivery you have Harvey (@scalerambush). My stuff arrives OK about 95% of the time. My biggest complaint is when they fold up packages of decals or photoetch to fit into the mailbox. And they are always marked "Do Not Bend". As long as everything else is OK with the compressor, maybe you can source a new pressure gauge. Good luck!

• Profile Photo
    Harvey R. said 2 years, 9 months ago:

Annnnnnnnd we're back.

After the compressor issues were resolved by the thankfully the very helpful supplier of the compressor, Bartsharp, I got a new pressure gauge and some sealant tape. A quick change later and I have it all working. That was about a week ago now, and with a busy weekend after repairing it I didn't have much time to get working.

During the Great Compressor Depression

Motivation wasn't particularly high when the compressor was dead, so I most caught up on Microsoft Flight Simulator and my beloved IL2: Great Battles, that being said I did get a bit done. I attached the cannon blast tubes to the -1Cs wings and rescribed the ammunition hatches, I'm not 100% happy with this and am trying to work out the best solution for if I was to this again, trying to make those gun tubes flush with the wing is a bit of a challenge.

I also did some random little bits, the planes needing to be wheels up are all sorted, the folding wing of each Corsair has been assembled and the leading edge sanded relatively smooth. The internal 'spar' that Tamiya provides to give the wings something to glue on are set. I also started work on the flaps, though haven't made the necessary scratchbuilt modifications to the ones that will be raised yet.

Painting and Detailing the Cockpits

Ironically, with the airbrush up and running it was time to spray the internal colours so I was then able to pack the airbrush away and use a regular paint brush. Firstly I sprayed the internals with MRP Aluminium, a very nice paint I must say, and then sprayed the Tamiya recommended mix for cockpit green on. The idea was the strong MRP paint would survive prodding with a knife and toothpick, where the weaker tamiya wouldn't, negating the need for chipping fluid. It kind of works, I saw this done on a youtube video but it's a bit finicky so I'll just hand paint the chipping on.

Naturally a lot of time was spent on the Aires resin cockpit as it has a lot of wires and dials that need painting, thankfully the previously mentioned bible of the comprehensive guide for the Corsair has come in invaluable as the B&W original photos of an F4U-1s cockpit plus the full colour photos of the Fleet Air Arms KD431 which still has its original paint 80 years later have come in invaluable. I decided to neglect the included Photoetch from the resin cockpit as I wanted to have the struggle of painting a tiny resin cockpit without the extra struggle of PhotoEtch, but the next time I'll do this it'll get the PE treatment though.

The instrument panel was made with one of those clear plastic film pieces with the dials printed on, this was placed over the resin which was painted white to show the dials, and then the photoetch piece was put on. The effect is quite nice, I wouldn't mind using this clear film thing again as it seems to work well and look in scale.

After it was all painted and detailed, it got given a quick wash. I just use Citadel's Nuln Oil, but I'm sure any panel-line wash would work as well or better. Ultimately there's no need for something like florymodel's wash which can be cleaned up as the tiny parts of the cockpit will be hard to clear up excess, in the end there really isn't any difference between painting a small miniature and a small cockpit so generally I use miniature painting products in the area as I have them. Next up will be drybrushing and chipping, but first I need to finish off the Tamiya parts which are mostly done. Decals for the Tamiya Corsair have an instrument panel on a black background, I hate these and don't use them as I think they look awful. Instrument panel decals with a clear background so you can paint the instrument panel itself work the best I love them. Interestingly, the Tamiya F4U-1D with Moto-Tug which is their most recent reboxing of the Corsair has the nice instrument decal without the black background, all 4 other boxings have the black background. I'll likely paint the instruments on, it won't look pretty but it's better than the decal provided and buying a whole PE set for one bit is a waste.

The most interesting challenge is going to be shoving this resin cockpit into the Corsair, the Aires Resin instructions are... Lackluster. To say it is unclear is an understatement as it doesn't actually tell you where the fuselage must be cut to fit the instrument panel, I'm sure I'll work it out.

I'll do a post on my decisions for the Corsairs colours later, the Corsair varied a lot in its colours over the long production life it had. For instance the earlier Corsairs were green all the way on the interiors, with the F4U-1D and beyond having black side walls above the switches.

2 additional images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo

That's seriously detailed work, my friend @scalerambush!
    I also had positive experience with "film" instruments under a transparent IP framing at my 1/32 Sukhoi 27.
    Looking forward to your next steps!

• Profile Photo

That is some awesome result on the cockpit, Harvey @scalerambush
    Also like the tattoo on the fuselage

• Profile Photo

Interiors look terrific, Harvey (@scalerambush). I have always found instructions with resin sets to be more suggestions than anything else, since they seldom fit without doing some thinning or modification of the kit parts. I am sure it will all work out for you and I am looking forward to seeing everything together.

• Profile Photo

Greetings again folks, with the resin finally shoved into the model (more on that later) I almost feel like progress has actually been made, enough to warrant a post! It's definitely been a very stressful and frustrating journey and I'm glad, for the most part, the resin is put behind me.

The Bad and Ugly, Dealing with Resin.

Where to begin. As stated early on I haven't really any experience with resin. My Hawker Tempests have resin wheels, some resin pilots have been squeezed in kits, and some of my Corsairs have resin flaps or control surfaces. None of these previous resin parts require any substantial modifications beyond cutting and replacing some easy parts. I went the resin cockpit route not because I wanted to (I wanted to do Eduard PE) but because I wanted to get more experienced with it so I can get the eventual goal of a fully opened up Corsair done.

Putting the resin tub into the Corsair was a challenge. I sanded down the plastic fuselage as much as I dare using a dremel, I also sanded down the resin as much as I could and went so far that the resin went translucent enough to see the paint on the other side. I test fitted once, twice, thrice and it seemed to fit, so I broke out the superglue and glued the two fuselage halves together whilst I was at it. I preceeded to royally screw it up by gluing the resin tub a few millimetres too low, meaning that the wing could never fit. As such I had to pry the now gluing Corsair fuselage halves apart with a scalpel and toothpicks, and try and break the now firmly glued resin parts out of their position. Eventually I did so, but naturally the fuselage needs a nice amount of rescribing due to sanding, cutting and ripping, and the resin parts took some injuries thankfully most won't be seen, though I need to replace a rudder pedal and a gun sight which are visible.

We learnt two things;

1. Loctite super glue sets instantly, good for a lot of applications but a slower setting glue would have been better here.
    2. Don't rush building the model due to a lack of progress in the past week.

The resin was rebuilt, reglued, and the fuselage was heavily filled in. Some more filler is still probably needed down that seam.

The Plastic Cockpits

With the resin finally out of the way after much hassle I got back to work with the plastic, this was mostly just finishing off some painting since last time. One cockpit was given an all black appearance for the sides which was then put in the -1C, this is due to the later Corsairs being painted black above the side panels. Vallejo Aluminium and Red was used for the switches, then it received a wash with Citadel Nuln Oil, and finally some drybrushing with the same aluminium paint.

Naturally these fitted fine into the fuselages, one fuselage might get away with no filler wheress the other needs a tiny amount. Eitherway if I need to give to fuselages filler I may as well do the third for luck.

Next Steps

Next up, after filler, would be to decide if I want the wings on now or later as having the wings off would make the fuselage easier to rivet if I do go forward with that plan. I have primed that Bf-109 to test riveting on it to see if it looks worth doing. I also need to paint up the pilots and I still somewhat want to replace one of the pilots with a resin one that doesn't look so... Derpy.

Finally I need to paint up those pilots, shouldn't be too difficult.

We'll see how things work out.

• Profile Photo

That was not such a nice experience with resin, Harvey @scalerambush
    Luckily you were able to seperate all, lthough not that easily.
    Plastic cockpits do look great, I like the way you did the weathering.

• Profile Photo

Thank you! Honestly painting the cockpits is probably one of my favourite parts, painting the resin was really nice as it has much more detail. I was thinking of painting up a resin engine for similar reasons but leaving it on display on a stand next to the model. Painting resin is fun, gluing together a resin thing isn't the most fun but is bareable, but putting that resin piece in the model is the real pain.

• Profile Photo

Fully agree on the cockpit painting part, Harvey @scalerambush

Creating details into the interior is also my favorite part.

Likely you already tried, but what I usually try with glueing resin is to do the dry fit first and when that is ok simply apply a drop of CA so that the part will remain in place.

It is very difficult to first apply the glue and then try to get the part exactly in place, no correction are allowed with CA.

• Profile Photo

That's great progress, my friend @scalerambush!
    And it's "good" that you left the resin behind you...
    I have worked quite a few times with resin , facing more or less the problems you encountered. Resin is usually wonderfully detailed, but not the easiest media to work with!

• Profile Photo

Cockpits look great, Harvey (@scalerambush). Resin can be frustrating. I have gotten more brave recently and have attempted more and more with resin. If you get a resin set that is designed for your model, you usually still have to do some minor fitting. I have run into trouble when I use a resin set designed for a model from another manufacturer. A P-40E is a P-40E, right?, so it shouldn't matter whether that the resin is designed for a Tamiya kit and I am putting it into a Hasegawa kit, but apparently it matters a lot. That's where I get into lots of Dremel work grinding away the plastic and the resin until it fits. I have to admit I get some satisfaction to eventually making it work. Looking forward to the rest of the build.

• Profile Photo
    Erik Gjørup said 2 years, 9 months ago:

Kilroy just about gets everywhere. . . .

Great progress on the three.

• Profile Photo
    Harvey R. said 2 years, 8 months ago:

Thanks for that advice with glueng the resin, makes me wish there was a Tamiya Extra Thin equivalent for resin..

Regardless, a little bit more progress has been made.

The Pilots

Currently, work is all about these little guys. I decided to go the route of resin pilots this time as I mentioned I really don't like the included Tamiya pilot, better than none but his face, his face is definitely something unique. I'll be painting him up for a comparison.

Currently the RNZAF pilot, which is an AeroBoost 'Middle East Allied Pilot, with Dog', is finished and ready to go for a flight. Sadly the dog won't be featuring in this Corsair build. I used this pilot before in my FAA Corsair, the figure is leaning against a crate but some surgery to his right leg will allow him to sit and some surgery to his right arm is unnecessary but I did so to move his hand around. The gaps were filled with Loctite super glue to give him back the knee I sawed off when forcing him to sit. Overall he's a really nice figure, and I'm really happy with how he came out honestly, it's also makes sense to have a pilot in shorts.

I've also started work on a resin figure by PJ models who is this little USN pilot, he has some sunglasses. Either way his facial expression and proportions are far better than the Tamiya pilot, so he will be flying the F4U-1C.

Finally as mentioned I'll paint up the two Tamiya figures, the seated pilot and the standing pilot. The standing may be used with the VF-17 Corsair.

Engines

Another small part is the engines, a smiple construction of 4 parts and a poly-cap.

These engines aren't especially amazing, they get the job done. They're not the easiest to see anyways. On one I tried using copper wire to make it a bit interesting, it may not be correct but it does serve as a bit of extra eye-candy. Thing is, I've ran out of the tiny amount of copper wire I had so I'll have to order some more.

As a side note, I tried my hand at printing off a blue-print in 1/48 scale. It didn't work, not quite sure why. The measurement I saw of 'size of model' / 'size of blueprint' (or was it the other way round? Either way I tried both) = scale didn't work.

As such it looks like I'll have to do it the more annoying way, which is measuring the small blue-print and scaling each part up the same way I found the measurement for the cannons.

Also I found these resin figures by elan miniatures, I've never heard of them before but someone was selling them on ebay. Turns out there extremely detailed little limited run figures, just look at the size of that middle pilots moustache! One issue I have since I generally build models in flight is finding resin pilots, the choices out there aren't great and many are old, out of production, and out of stock. Thankfully Tamiya includes pilots but for other kits it's a pain, hence why I keep the Tamiya pilots around incase I need them in the future.