Tamiya Heinkel HE-219 UHU 1/48

Started by Chuck A. Villanueva · 94 · 3 years ago
  • Profile Photo
    ADRIAN R HUMMEL said 3 years, 11 months ago:

I really like what you have done. I wish you all the very best building it.

• Profile Photo
    Chuck A. Villanueva said 3 years, 11 months ago:

Thanks Adrian, really getting into this build so far it is going well. Been looking forward into finally getting into this iconic yet unique WWII night fighter.

Now getting back into the cockpit. First the ingenious process Tamiya came up with incorporating the weighted cockpit floor/nose gear bay is really something. Slipping the plastic portion into the metal section in a way that will be disguised as part of the interior.

PE side panels are placed in the rear compartment. On the LH side rear section.

Next it to attach more PE bits to enhance the cockpit. The side rail will be installed on the LH side part of the cockpit between the pilot seat and rear divider. Then the document pouch is assembled and attached in place in the RH rear wall of the radio compartment. Also gauges and solenoids are also placed on the RH side wall in the pilots compartment.

Next the instrument panel is prepared for the PE bits.

The details are sanded off, then each PE panel is attached with Testors Clear Cement starting with the main center dial/gauge panel. Then the cover is next, carefully aligned to view each dial and set in place.

Then each side panel is attached to the IP and set aside to let it set for a couple of hours

In the meantime, time to work on the radio set and avionics in the rear compartment. Using Nato black to highlight some of the components.

Put that aside before adding more detail. I install the IP in place in the cockpit.

Navigator/radio operator seat is installed facing rearward. The floor being metal helps in highlighting foot traffic wear by simply rubbing some paint off.

Next after some detailing with silver pencil and picking out some knobs. The radio set slips into place on the rear bulkead.

The pilots seat is then placed in the cockpit.

The PE fuse panel is place into the RH side of the fuselage wall.

The visor/hood is cleaned up and is installed in place on the radio/radar set.

Next up to get this all buttoned up. More to follow.

• Profile Photo

With the assembly of the basic cockpit done. Time to install it into the RH fuselage half.

I use tamiya tape to hold the fuselage halve together as the cement dries. The weight tends to want to move around even the the fit is snug.

The Owl is already taking shape with it's long slender fuselage.

Most of the interior and rear gun compartments are RLM66 Schwarzgrau(Black Grey). Rather large aircraft with a single purpose to hunt down bombers at night as well as intruders such as the Mosquito.

Next is to paint the nose wheel bay RLM02 Grey.

You can see the detail from the metal weight that also serves as the roof of the nose wheel bay.

The nose bay is airbrushed as well as the lower gun bay.

Next up is the tail and wings. More to follow...

• Profile Photo
    Erik Gjørup said 3 years, 11 months ago:

That is some great progress here @uscusn. One thing that I noticed is the angle of the head-armour, no doubt they are angled partly to deflect the exhaust of the "Schleudersitze" as they are angled in their trajectory to cross each other in case of an ejection. Very interesting build - I had the pleasure of seeing the second one in existince that were salvaged from the ocean in Denmark a few years back.

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 3 years, 11 months ago:

Thats an extremely refined job, Chuck @uscusn. Somehow my radar missed your last week update and saw everything today. Amazing details, amazing progress and equally amazing presentation.
    Also impressed of Erik's @airbum remarks for the ejection procedure.

• Profile Photo
    Morne Meyer said 3 years, 11 months ago:

This is going to look AWESOME when finished. The details you have added are going to elevate it to the next level. Well done!

• Profile Photo

Eric, Those armored upper head rests may have also served as canopy breakers as they are ejection seats one of the first type to be able to do so. Spiros, there is a lot going on in this kit, the PE rally enhances the cockpit and radio compartment.
    Morne as I really get into this build, the plane itself is an amazing piece of German know how. They just didn't have enough of them to make a difference. But it is really one awesome aircraft as it starts take shape.
    Now to work on the gun ports under the fuselage just aft of the nose gear well.

This variant had 20mm cannon located 2 under the fuselage, and 2 more mounted on the wing roots. The gun port panel is attached under the fuselage.

Now moving on to the rear. The tail assembly.

The horizontal tail and stabs are in upper and lower halves. Molded in one piece with that stabs in place not poseable.

Then attached in place on the rear fuselage point.

The twin rudders are also in 1 piece and are in the neutral position. Attached to each outer end of the horizontal tail.

Now taking shape. Next up the wings.

more to follow

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 3 years, 11 months ago:

That's a great progress, Chuck. It's so nice that we learn all these details of the aircraft as we follow your build.

• Profile Photo
    George R Blair Jr said 3 years, 11 months ago:

Looks great so far, Chuck. I was just thinking that piloting this thing would have been like sitting on the end of a pencil with everything else behind you. Have you decided on a camo scheme yet?

• Profile Photo
    Pedro L. Rocha said 3 years, 11 months ago:

The ejection process was a classical eject the canopy and then the seat. There were some red knobs that guided this manouver process. The ejected crew had to release themselves from the seats during the fall...overall not that easy, but still a lot better than just trying to jump from a falling machine with all those Gs pushing you inside. Keep up the good work Chuck!

• Profile Photo

Thanks Spiros, hopefully it inspires others to build not just this kit, but any other Uhu in any scale.
    George, it will be RLM75/RLM76 over Black. The lighter grey will be a squiggle worm scheme affair, this will be fun to do.
    Pedro, thanks for the eject seat sequence, I wonder how well and how reliable of a system they were. I am so glad I never had to find out in the back of a Hornet or Tomcat. The only jets I had the privilege and honor to ride in.

• Profile Photo
    Chuck A. Villanueva said 3 years, 10 months ago:

With the tail finished, time to start on the wings.

The lower wing panels are prepped and pre painted RLM02 in the wheel bays.

The forward upper panel is removed and then attached in position in the front section of the nacelle.

One of the issues is this kit and typical Tamiya despite real nice provided details, is the lack of details in the wheel bays. The PE set helps a bit here with a rear bulkhead for the main gear bays. Other wise you have an open space towards the rear of the nacelle. The PE rear bulkhead fills in nicely.

The upper wing panel is also pre painted RLM2 and has a bit of detail for the roof of the wheel bay.

Next some PE grills are attached in place on the forward leading edges of both wings. It also covers and hides nasty hard to reach seams that would've been difficult to clean.

Now to assemble the engine nacelles.

Made up of 4 pieces, LH/RH halves and installed at the front part of the wheel bays.

Each one are installed on the wings and let sit, a quick test fit loosely on the fuselage.

Another great unique feature is the round wing spare tubes that push through the fuselage and holds the correct angle of the wings when installed. Nice touch.

First push each spar through the fuselage, but are free in the holes not cemented. I place cement on the locating point on the wings and slip them into the wing spars. Once the wings are in place, a dead of cement is applied around the contact points around the inner edge of the wings to fuselage point.

Thats done and now set aside for the next step. More to follow.

1 additional image. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Erik Gjørup said 3 years, 10 months ago:

Those beefy spars look like they should guarantee that they will stay in place forever. This update really made a jump forward with all these major assemblies.

• Profile Photo
    George R Blair Jr said 3 years, 10 months ago:

The spars remind me of when I used to build radio control airplanes. This is going to be a good-sized airplane in 1/48. Waiting anxiously for the mottling. :o)

• Profile Photo
    Pedro L. Rocha said 3 years, 10 months ago:

Chuck, your going at a good pace, soon the fun part of painting is arriving, looking forward