Tamiya Heinkel HE-219 UHU 1/48

Started by Chuck A. Villanueva · 94 · 3 years ago
  • Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 3 years, 10 months ago:

Perfect job, Chuck!

• Profile Photo
    Chuck A. Villanueva said 3 years, 10 months ago:

Eric, not my favorite part of any build is masking glass, but it has to be done, and Eduard's has made it a bit easier. By the way thanks for the suggestion on the antenna array.
    Thanks Spiros, progressing each getting closer to the finish. Also looking into that stand as I did try similar approach with a stand i have now to find a way to make a set up to keep the antennas in place on the nose of the BF-110 while they set. It didn't work. That alligator clip stand may be the ticket.

• Profile Photo
    Chuck A. Villanueva said 3 years, 9 months ago:

Well it is that time to start the paint process. Taking it all in knowing that this is a rather complicated top scheme of RLM76 over 75 scheme. (Lt Lichtblau/Grau). Reading up on several build reviews of several other similar schemes, not 2 aircraft are alike, in fact even on the same airframe the scheme was painted by more than one painter.
    1st is to go over the glass framings with RLM66. Including the radar glass on the spine.

Next using Nato Black to preshade the upper surfaces.

Like I did with the Lancaster, I will paint the undersurfaces black after painting the top scheme. I will also airbrush RLM75 Grey overall over the top. Using Gunze Acrylic.

This is the easiest step through the whole process. No worries about demarcation lines or edging. Just airbrush the Grey over the top surfaces. And whats nice Gunze airbrushes very well and dries semi glossy. No clogging no fuss.

Now for the squiggle pattern. I will use Mig RLM76 Light Blue some will list it as Lt Grey.

Starting at the LH side of the nose I just randomly painted an unending squiggle in up and down zig zag pattern to wing root and over the top of the canopy. Then from the nose to the LH side wingtip to nacelle. I also had the inner and outer flaps temporally attached to get them painted as well. Then over to the RH wing tip to nacelle. Then from the tail over the spine to the canopy. At first it was uneven pattern as you want it to be. Meandering over the top. I tightened up the grey going over some of the exposed larger dark grey areas. Once I finished up with the Lt Blue. I then took some RLM75 and went over some of the larger patches of grey to break it up a bit more. Not really worrying much about overspray.

Next was to mask off the upper grey scheme to set a sharp demarcation line for the black under surfaces. And black twin rudders as well. Both sides are black.

Using Lifecolor Glossy Black though it dries more semi gloss which is ok. The under surfaces, side and both twin rudders are painted black. Also the wheel hubs and gear doors.

The black covers very well and will let sit for a couple of hours and then paint the RLM02 flap well areas and any black overspray in the wheel wells. As I carefully start to remove the masks.

Once the RLM02 is painted I remove the masks. Also had edged the lowered flaps as well. Not shown.
    while having the 219 on it's back I also post shaded certain areas on the wings and some areas under the fuselage Nato Black.

The engine cowlings are overall RLM76.

A little bit of clean up and now we are about ready to get into the decal process.

Future clear coat is applied and will let it sit a week and start decaling it.

more to follow...

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 3 years, 9 months ago:

hi Chuck @uscusn!
    What a great detailed painting! Your Uhu looks splendid.
    As usual, your presentation is a joy to read on!
    Looking forward to see this bird with the "low-ish? visibility" luftwaffe decals.

• Profile Photo
    Erik Gjørup said 3 years, 9 months ago:

WOW - what a looker already. I will be jumping up and down for the next week i anticipation!

• Profile Photo
    George R Blair Jr said 3 years, 9 months ago:

You are a braver man than I am, Chuck (@uscusn), to attempt a paint scheme like this. Looks great. Can't wait for the decals.

• Profile Photo

Spiros, practice and previous Luftwaffe schemes have made each complicated scheme a bit easier to achieve. Still it is just the right pressure and distance from the surface while free handing the 2nd color over the base color.
    Eric, sorry it took a bit longer than a week, though not many markings to apply.
    George, as I mentioned to Spiros it takes practice and previous Luftwaffe schemes that help prepare for the next Luftwaffe scheme.
    Decal time, not much on this particular scheme I chose. Using the Owl set of decals for the first time.

The sheet itself provided just the particular markings for this 219. Which really none of the decals from the kit were used. The feel of this set reminds me of Micro/super scale decals in performance. no issues.

I chose to use the yellow "B" as part of the side squadron code.

Starting as usual at the bottom, overall black lower surfaces only have the need for the national cross markings applied to each lower wing.

Once the lower decals set, I worked on the top surface starting with the wing crosses. The sheet calls out the white crosses but in the end I think I should've used the black ones.

Next the markings along the LH side of the fuselage. Starting with the Balkenkreuz on the rear porting on the slender fuselage, squadron codes, then the swastika on the tail and werk number. Not shown is the step marking on the nose and side roman numeral number IV.

Same process along the RH side.

That is all on this kit, not much in stenciling at all otherwise.

Once the decals set, time to weather the finish a bit.

More to follow.

• Profile Photo

The addition of decals were well worth the wait! Its a treat each time so no worries if a tiny bit of time lapses between posts 🙂

• Profile Photo

Thanks Eric, usually Im a bit ahead of the actual build when I post the updates. Usually I upload the images when I get home from work and then do the write up later before hitting the sack. That is the best time for without being interrupted is writing at night.

• Profile Photo

I like a lot the yellow B choice, Chuck.
    The Uhu looks splendid.

• Profile Photo
    George R Blair Jr said 3 years, 9 months ago:

It's weird how the decals seem to tie a complicated paint scheme together. Almost time to start clearing a spot on the display shelf.

• Profile Photo

Thanks Spiros, just to add a bit of color on an otherwise bland scheme. Though not so bland really.
    George, it does and tightens up what I felt was not exactly what I wanted out of the upper scheme. But then the real aircraft were not perfect, but were rather a quick squiggle scheme with no two airframes alike or pattern.

• Profile Photo

A bit of weathering now starting in the main wheel wells.

Using Mig's brown enamel was to bring out the details within the wells. The flaps are also installed at this time. Left uncoated compared to the satin finish lower surfaces.

Protrusions under the air frame, tail bump edged in silver pencil to show wear.

Engine cowls are left in overall RLM76.

Pin wash over the top, with thinner and Mig washes.

Some chipping effects using silver pencil

A bit more to show some wear overall.

Next up to apply the final clear coats and start adding the final detail bits. There is a lot left to attach.
    More to follow.

3 additional images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo

Your weathering turned out great. This build made me want to add one to my stash - I have always been a bit scared off by the patterns on these futuristic planes, but you made it seem easy!

• Profile Photo

Great weathering, Chuck! This bird is super looking!