Tamiya Heinkel HE-219 UHU 1/48

Started by Chuck A. Villanueva · 94 · 3 years ago
  • Profile Photo
    Chuck A. Villanueva said 3 years, 8 months ago:

John, thanks that has been on display until recently that the wings have finally been installed to the air frame. Your right though, it does like just like it without the props. And no wheels mounted either.

• Profile Photo

The final phase. First painting the props. Using Tamiya Black Green

The blades are painted and then the hub is painted Vallejo Aluminum.

Next is to attach the backing plate to each prop. Edging both in black.

Then each prop is carefully pushed into place into the polycap inserts.

The spinners will have the corkscrew decals added then attached to each prop hub. Back to that in a bit.
    Now to attach some of the antennas and pitot tube around the air frame. 1st the wing mounted pito tube.

The loop antenna will go on the rear upper spine of the fuselage.

The rear warning antennnas and rear lamp.

The tail antennas and lamp is attached.

The kit itself does not have a scheme for the spiral decals for the spinners. So found a set from my spares decal box. I wasn't to concerned about the sizing as I could always nip off any access, but fortunately these fit perfectly on the 219's spinners.

Next to install each spinner to the props.

Now to install the Morane antenna under the rear fuselage.

Finally most of the antennas now attached,

Next up is the daunting task of the Fug antennas on the nose,

more to follow.

• Profile Photo
    Erik Gjørup said 3 years, 8 months ago:

Lots of nice little details! Almost ready for business.

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 3 years, 8 months ago:

Those are many wonderful details, Chuck!
    The UHU looks great.
    I really like the white spiral of the prop hubs!

• Profile Photo

Erik, you know there are lot bits and pieces on this plane that need to be installed.
    Spiros, thanks a feature that the Luftwaffe used as a safety device when the engines are on,

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 3 years, 8 months ago:

This is fantastic progress, Chuck.
    So much precision from your hands.

• Profile Photo
    George R Blair Jr said 3 years, 8 months ago:

The amount of detail that needs to be added after painting on this kit is daunting, Chuck (@uscusn), especially all of the antennas. I always worry about cleaning up things like antennas after taking them off the sprue. Sometimes it is hard remove the sprue nubs without damaging the very thin kit part. I particularly like your decal success on the spinners.

• Profile Photo
    Michael Turner said 3 years, 8 months ago:

G'day Chuck,

I've just come across this build.

I love your paint scheme.

It is great that you replicated the method used on the real aircraft, RLM 75 with a squiggle of RLM 76 that gives an impression of RLM 75 blotches over RLM 76. It gives the model an authentic look, and I agree that the black undersides enhance the contrast of the upper surface colours.

I've painted a couple of aircraft in similar free hand scribble schemes, and find that it is not as difficult as others may think.

The trick, in my view, is to get the scale of the squiggles right, as I think you have here.

I also admire the weathering effects so far, particularly the flame dampers, something I'm still trying to get the right degree of on my kits.

I'm looking forward to the conclusion of the build.

Well done so far.

• Profile Photo

Thanks Mike, you know the initial paint job I did not like how the squiggles seemed a bit too thick. What I did is take the RLM75 and edged the RLM76 for lack of a better term to thin them a bit. Then back with the RLM76 and evened things out in most areas. It turned out much better than originally planned and kept it random. There is no set pattern. And yes it is easier to do than a standard Luftwaffe scheme that involves the various RLM02 blotches along the side of the airframe in various sizes and roundish shapes. The dampers I just simply painted them burnt metal and AK's Light rust wash over the raised lines and then with a cotton q-tip and white spirits randomly rubbed the rust into the damper and got that effect. First time I tried it. Love the results.

• Profile Photo
    Walt said 3 years, 8 months ago:

Really looking good. Nice work, and have to admit there is something irresistibly fun about a spiral paint scheme on a prop spinner. Your Uhu is coming alone very nicely.

• Profile Photo

Thanks Walt, I do find that as well on the use of the spirals for their spinners on a lot of their aircraft, I believe it is more for safety than decoration. Since they do not paint the tips of their props, the spiral helps that the engines are on and be wary of the propellers arc.

Now let's wrap this party up.

Mostly attaching most of the antennas the 219 had plenty. Starting with the rear lower antenna.

The landing light lens is attached to the LH leading edge of the wing.

The rear warning mast is then attached to the tail.

Now the fun part, FuG antenna array on the nose. Starting with the top pair. Nice that Tamiya had the base mounted on the insert. Which makes mounting each mast to its base on the nose. Much better contact point,

I have the Monogram BF-110G4, night fighter, finished it around 2000, I have yet to install the FuG antennas on that model. After 1 attempt I put it off. I still have the antennas just need to set up some kind of mounting rig to hold them in place as they set.

Back to the Uhu, next is to attach the lower set. These are nice out of the kit by the way, so really an aftermarket set is not necessary unless maybe for a different configuration.

Now to attach the lower set, making them set at a 45 degree angle. The lower rods are painted red and white as a ground crew safety measure. I'm sure there were mishaps anyway.

Next is the boarding step ladder. This is the last part, but figures it is the one that really has no real good contact point to attach too. But in the end got it to stick.

Finally the canopy is popped open and will be displayed open.

And there it is. Ready to fly and terrorize the Lancasters and a Mosquito.

Das Ende

• Profile Photo
    Erik Gjørup said 3 years, 8 months ago:

Ready to fly and terrorize the Lancasters and a Mosquito.

• or to bellyland in the shallow waters off Denmark. . . (At least that is how we got the second example of this plane in existance)
      Your build has been an absolute pleasure to follow! Thank you for sharing.
  • Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 3 years, 8 months ago:

Hi Chuck @uscusn!
    This is a wonderful result! Such an imposing model!
    I also definitely state that your build thread us truly fantastic: appropriately covering the build process, up to the slightest detail, with the necessary pics to accompany the text.
    I felt like I was building the Uhu!
    Again, congratulations and big thanks for the thread!

• Profile Photo
    Michael Turner said 3 years, 8 months ago:

G'day Chuck,
    A beautiful build.
    The cockpit shot looks great.
    I must get one of these...

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 3 years, 8 months ago:

Fantastic result, Chuck.
    So much detail and perfect finish.
    Thanks for sharing all those steps you have taken to achieve this.